List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re Graham, I would love to hear someone explain in 25 words or less how recruiting a mature age midfielder who isn't good enough to hold his spot in the only side in the competition that is clearly worse than West Coast is a good move.
hE can lay blocks and tackles and play half forward.

In oher words, he is the jack of all traded, shithouse at all of them

In a draft lauded for its depth we gonna take pick 3, 5 and then 59... Its absurd

We need quantity and quality, not all our eggs in one basket which is what pick 5 instead of 3 picks inside the top 30 would be

We need pick 3,11,20 and 23. Not 3 amd 5

We can generate later picks by other means.

And we will IMO.

Certainly isn't a reason for the mini melt you had of landing pick 5 and Baker for Barrass and 23.

That would be a very nice return for Barrass. Baker plus Travagalia or another mid.

We can generate later picks by other means.

And we will IMO.

Certainly isn't a reason for the mini melt you had of landing pick 5 and Baker for Barrass and 23.

That would be a very nice return for Barrass. Baker plus Travagalia or another mid.
No chance we can get picks inside the 30 for anything other then us trading a future 1st rounder which will be absurdly stupid

seen a lot of talk about knobel, but has there been any talk on him actually wanting out ?
He must obviously know he's way down the pecking order.

we should def throw some $ at him.
you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise that you ain't gonna get a afl game with two guys on long contracts and if Reidy re-signs he would have to ask his manager to look elsewhere. He is already living here so it ain't a hard sell

If we know Tobie will be gone by a potential Barrass pick I’d split no matter who’s available at pick 3 as long as we are guaranteed Tobie. Best case scenario and he’s going to be there at TB pick then I’m similar to you.

Assume Barrass for Hawks 1R (12) & Pies 2R (28)

1st preference to 3rd preference
3-FOS/Draper/Lalor
12-Travaglia/Lindsay/Pick slide past KPFs
23-Hynes/Gross/Oliver
28-Mraz*/O’Farrell/Gerreyn
40-Champion match (trade BWill/Petch)
58-Dennis/Johnson/Barrat

There also might be a few teams who don’t have enough list spots to take a 4R pick, we should be looking to trade our F4 into the 4R this year in what is a very deep draft.
If Draper is there at 3, no way am I splitting. I would probably stay put at 3 if Smith is still there although the premium would be lower to slide. Sunday reinforced to me that we need mids that get a lot of possessions week in week out.

Besides, any split would need to include a pick close to 3 and the difference is just not worth clubs trading up unless there is one stand out. Norf to me are the ones that could afford to slide back and will do it for likely lower premium. The Suns could easily tease them with one of their many picks to trade in or use as bait if they have a target ahead of the Lombard bid.

Richmond are likely to have a bucket load of R1 picks so can let the draft come to them or might pay a premium to get a certain player. I think with the range in the top 25 prospects, they will be able to pick for needs with little to no reaching.

Trainor might be a reason to move up but looking at the other KPDers that are likely to be there in the teens, I would just wait. Armstrong doing his ACL has scuppered any thoughts a club will reach for him earlier.

I understand your desire for Travaglia but we will have options. Example of Lindsay or Berry or even Gross at the Hawks R1 (this could be anywhere in the teens now) and then go again at 23 for an Oliver type or take a KPDer there and get Davis at 29.

In terms of the R4, we get to go again at R5 and R6 if there is still quality we like so I'd not pay too much a premium for a R4. Trading a F4 for a later R3 might be on the cards for the Suns but not sure who else

Geez, Murphy Reid with 39 disposals and rumour of doesn't want to leave Vic.

Reckon the Saints a few picks behind us would dearly love him, they need real talent on their list.
Amplified if the latest on Battle back flipping and now wanting to go to Hawks is true.

I can see St Blunders holding 5 and 6 (under the direction of SOS) taking Murphy and Lalor.

Freo falling out of the eight will make this easier.

Here is the spiel from the HUN

Richmond superstar Shai Bolton has formally told the Tigers he wants to be traded, aware he will have to stay put if WA-based clubs cannot put up a vast trade bounty for his services.

Bolton might be playing his last AFL game for Richmond this weekend against Gold Coast, with the Tigers reconsidering their hard-line position on the 25-year-old.

When his name was floated as a trade possibility mid-year Bolton was still happy to stay, having made the call only 18 months before to play out his career in Richmond.

But with a second baby on the way later this year. Bolton and his partner are increasingly aware of the challenges of remaining away from family who find it difficult to get to Melbourne to support them.

He has four more years on a deal of $1.1-$1.2 million, with Fremantle and West Coast keen but the Dockers a much more likely home given their trio of first-round picks.

Richmond had been resolute that they would not trade him under any scenario.

But with Tasmania’s introduction around the corner and the Tigers’ list issues making a mini-rebuild likely, they are now open to at least assessing what a deal might look like.

They are now aware they will have to be open-minded about all trades to improve their list, with Gold Coast chasing Daniel Rioli hard as an attacking half back despite his Tigers contract to 2027.

Fremantle’s current draft hand is picks 9, 10, 17 and 26, with Richmond sure to ask for two first-rounders for Bolton given he is at the peak of his career.

Richmond has told Bolton if he stayed they would build a team around him as they seek to stockpile early draft selections under list boss Blair Hartley and new recruiter Chris Toce.

But they will never get a better chance to secure “overs” for Bolton and vice-captain Liam Baker, who is set to return to Perth.

Richmond has also offered free agent Jack Graham a deal as he assesses West Coast’s free agency offer.

Bolton is fully aware that if the Perth-based clubs cannot satisfy Richmond he will remain at Punt Road next year given he signed his most recent deal in December 2022.

Richmond will also be aware another year in Melbourne is unlikely to assuage the couple’s homesickness, so if Fremantle plays ball it might be the perfect time to get maximum compensation this year.

Baker would ideally play for West Coast but Fremantle’s early selections and premiership window mean they have a better chance of securing both players.

The Dockers could offer up all three first-round draft picks for the pair, which would give Richmond picks 1, 9, 10, 17, 21 and 30 before any dealings with the Suns on Rioli.

Bolton would not seek a pay rise on his current deal but might ask for an extra year or two on the current four-year contract, with both WA-based clubs able to afford that money in their salary cap.

West Coast is interested but even if they secure a trade for defender Tom Barrass is unlikely to have the draft capital to secure Bolton, who at 25 is not the perfect age for their list build.

Bolton’s Richmond teammate Marlion Pickett is more likely to retire than ask for another one-year contract as he battles injury concerns.

He has battled calf issues and returned to Perth recently for his father’s funeral, and given Richmond is likely to be stripped of experience they had been open to a conversation on another deal.

But he will have discussions with the club in coming days about his future, having made AFL history when he debuted in a Grand Final victory for the Tigers.

A court case for commercial burglary charges is due to be set in October after repeated delays.

But with the start of that court case to be set 18 months into the future it would not prevent Pickett from playing on in 2025.

He is likely to remain in Melbourne in coming years after coming to Richmond as the No. 13 pick in the 2019 mid-season draft then finding his way into the premiership side after Graham’s shoulder injury.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming the reports are correct, all these links to Richmond players are bullshit. Clarke needs to be told to step aside with any potential dealings with Richmond players, it’s not objective.

Been very unimpressed with his performance so far other than having the nuts to hold Barrass to his existing contract. If we get bent over by Hawthorn that too will be for nothing.
Take a chill tablet. We have no idea what the Barrass deal will be and given Tom has been put on ice for the rest of the year, I am thinking the deal in principle has probably been agreed. The Hawks have usually got their big targets early and fairly so are not likely to be dorks at the last minute.

I for one are very happy we are letting Tom explore. He started the courting middle of last year with Sydney so it's no surprise that he is out their on the AFL Tinder App.

There is no reason why we would not be into Baker and Graham. Sunday's game showed that we need some hardened bodies in the middle. What I don't want is to overpay for Baker in draft capital and I would prefer we only generate an end of R2 pick for Graham.

Richmond superstar Shai Bolton has formally told the Tigers he wants to be traded, aware he will have to stay put if WA-based clubs cannot put up a vast trade bounty for his services.

Bolton might be playing his last AFL game for Richmond this weekend against Gold Coast, with the Tigers reconsidering their hard-line position on the 25-year-old.

When his name was floated as a trade possibility mid-year Bolton was still happy to stay, having made the call only 18 months before to play out his career in Richmond.

But with a second baby on the way later this year. Bolton and his partner are increasingly aware of the challenges of remaining away from family who find it difficult to get to Melbourne to support them.

He has four more years on a deal of $1.1-$1.2 million, with Fremantle and West Coast keen but the Dockers a much more likely home given their trio of first-round picks.

But with Tasmania’s introduction around the corner and the Tigers’ list issues making a mini-rebuild likely, they are now open to at least assessing what a deal might look like.

They are now aware they will have to be open-minded about all trades to improve their list, with Gold Coast chasing Daniel Rioli hard as an attacking half back despite his Tigers contract to 2027.

Fremantle’s current draft hand is picks 9, 10, 17 and 26, with Richmond sure to ask for two first-rounders for Bolton given he is at the peak of his career.

Richmond has told Bolton if he stayed they would build a team around him as they seek to stockpile early draft selections under list boss Blair Hartley and new recruiter Chris Toce.

But they will never get a better chance to secure “overs” for Bolton and vice-captain Liam Baker, who is set to return to Perth.

Richmond has also offered free agent Jack Graham a deal as he assesses West Coast’s free agency offer.

Bolton is fully aware that if the Perth-based clubs cannot satisfy Richmond he will remain at Punt Road next year given he signed his most recent deal in December 2022.

Richmond will also be aware another year in Melbourne is unlikely to assuage the couple’s homesickness, so if Fremantle plays ball it might be the perfect time to get maximum compensation this year.

Baker would ideally play for West Coast but Fremantle’s early selections and premiership window mean they have a better chance of securing both players.

The Dockers could offer up all three first-round draft picks for the pair, which would give Richmond picks 1, 9, 10, 17, 21 and 30 before any dealings with the Suns on Rioli.

Bolton would not seek a pay rise on his current deal but might ask for an extra year or two on the current four-year contract, with both WA-based clubs able to afford that money in their salary cap.

West Coast is interested but even if they secure a trade for defender Tom Barrass is unlikely to have the draft capital to secure Bolton, who at 25 is not the perfect age for their list build.

Bolton’s Richmond teammate Marlion Pickett is more likely to retire than ask for another one-year contract as he battles injury concerns.

He has battled calf issues and returned to Perth recently for his father’s funeral, and given Richmond is likely to be stripped of experience they had been open to a conversation on another deal.

But he will have discussions with the club in coming days about his future, having made AFL history when he debuted in a Grand Final victory for the Tigers.

A court case for commercial burglary charges is due to be set in October after repeated delays.

But with the start of that court case to be set 18 months into the future it would not prevent Pickett from playing on in 2025.

He is likely to remain in Melbourne in coming years after coming to Richmond as the No. 13 pick in the 2019 mid-season draft then finding his way into the premiership side after Graham’s shoulder injury.
Be interesting to see the contract difference is enough for Baker to pick the Eagles over the Dockers (and him being an Eagles nuffie growing up) and not change his mind.

I reckon if the Dockers think they have Warner next year and get Bolton this year they might just drop out of the Baker sweepstakes and move one of those picks to next year.

With Freo wetting the bed of late and Port burning hot, the trade from last year is has deteriorated significantly

As it stands
Freo gave up 23 and a F2 (30) for Port's F1 (17)

As at Round 16, Freo 3rd and Port 7th
Freo gave up 23 and a F2 (36) for Port's F1 (12)

Poor old Feathers, he must be on an interrupted sleep programme

If Draper is there at 3, no way am I splitting. I would probably stay put at 3 if Smith is still there although the premium would be lower to slide. Sunday reinforced to me that we need mids that get a lot of possessions week in week out.

Besides, any split would need to include a pick close to 3 and the difference is just not worth clubs trading up unless there is one stand out. Norf to me are the ones that could afford to slide back and will do it for likely lower premium. The Suns could easily tease them with one of their many picks to trade in or use as bait if they have a target ahead of the Lombard bid.

Richmond are likely to have a bucket load of R1 picks so can let the draft come to them or might pay a premium to get a certain player. I think with the range in the top 25 prospects, they will be able to pick for needs with little to no reaching.

Trainor might be a reason to move up but looking at the other KPDers that are likely to be there in the teens, I would just wait. Armstrong doing his ACL has scuppered any thoughts a club will reach for him earlier.

I understand your desire for Travaglia but we will have options. Example of Lindsay or Berry or even Gross at the Hawks R1 (this could be anywhere in the teens now) and then go again at 23 for an Oliver type or take a KPDer there and get Davis at 29.

In terms of the R4, we get to go again at R5 and R6 if there is still quality we like so I'd not pay too much a premium for a R4. Trading a F4 for a later R3 might be on the cards for the Suns but not sure who else
Armstrong doing his ACL has scuppered any thoughts a club will reach for him earlier.
When did Armstrong do his ACL? He played on the weekend are you sure you aren’t thinking Taj Hotton?

Take a chill tablet. We have no idea what the Barrass deal will be and given Tom has been put on ice for the rest of the year, I am thinking the deal in principle has probably been agreed. The Hawks have usually got their big targets early and fairly so are not likely to be dorks at the last minute.

I for one are very happy we are letting Tom explore. He started the courting middle of last year with Sydney so it's no surprise that he is out their on the AFL Tinder App.

There is no reason why we would not be into Baker and Graham. Sunday's game showed that we need some hardened bodies in the middle. What I don't want is to overpay for Baker in draft capital and I would prefer we only generate an end of R2 pick for Graham.
I think my post has been misinterpreted. I’m very happy for Barrass to explore his options, I think we should trade him provided we are properly compensated. I advocated for the trade with Sydney to go ahead last year. What I meant was I’m happy Clarke didn’t add more years to and significantly jack up the salary of his contract.

I think you’ve pointed out the problem with Baker, we’re likely to overpay for him. If he was a FA I’d be keen but anything more than a F2 is too much. The Graham compo is likely to be band 3 if the plan is Baker and Graham to WCE, giving the tigers yet another pick before our 2R.

When did Armstrong do his ACL? He played on the weekend are you sure you aren’t thinking Taj Hotton?
I thought he came off of 3 weeks ago with a knee injury and had heard it was ACL!!

May have got it wrong. If so, then that works for us. We want more tall prospects coming off the board prior to the Hawks pick.

With school footy done for the year the APS boys are all back in the Talent League and gearing up for a big finals campaign to finish off season 2024. Murphy Reid celebrated his return with a massive game, finding the footy all over the ground and demonstrating his poise and confidence with the ball in hand. Sandy will be pushing to make it three Talent League titles in a row and Murphy will be in the thick of it.

If we're getting Graham to be a defensive midfielder then just get Dev with a token pick to play that role instead. I'd much prefer him.

Bolton to Freo will be pretty straight forward for one of their firsts. Perfect Walters replacement.

The funniest part of this whole thing is that Richmond are exactly where we were at in 2022 - thinking they’ll get away with ‘a mini-rebuild may be required’ to fix their squad.

That said, trading out Bolton, Baker and Rioli is not a mini rebuild - that’s a fire sale.

If we're getting Graham to be a defensive midfielder then just get Dev with a token pick to play that role instead. I'd much prefer him.

Bolton to Freo will be pretty straight forward for one of their firsts. Perfect Walters replacement.
You're not letting a contracted Shai Bolton go for 1 first rounder I don't think.

Richmond will probably ask for 9 and 10 and Freo offer 9 and 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back