List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

It is becoming increasingly likely West Coast premiership player Tom Barrass has played his last game for the club, ruled out of their final-round clash with Geelong.

And he will be joined in the wings by defensive sidekick Jeremy McGovern this week, with the veteran to be sent for early surgery on a thumb injury.

Twomey's info only tends to come in very late. He tends to get it very right, particularly the top 10 but thats due to club and other contacts in the couple of weeks leading into the draft. Once you're past the top 10 all it takes is 1 team taking an unexpected player and everyone's phantoms fall to pieces.

I mean as a club in 2022 Carlton on draft day thought the Dogs were picking Busslinger, Eagles would pick Clark at 9 and Ginbey at 13 yet Twomey had it right. Hollands was a plan and it was a 2 year plan and I had spoken to his brother and family and part of selecting him was getting his brother via trade the next year. The club was hoping for Jakob Ryan to be available at the next pick but he was gone and Cowan was the backup. Cowan with the needs the club were chasing was my suggested pick. I didn't want to draft Binns as from all that I had seen he was a ball butcher. Got plenty of it but particularly under pressure was a turnover merchant. Scarily enough outside of his free kick for he had only 2 contested possessions and ran at 55.6% disposal efficiency and I thought it was one of the best games i had seen from him..... Club wanted a developing tall and despite thinking he could do with a year outside of the program there were other clubs interested so we went on highest available talent and drafted Lemmey. The choice was between him and Foster. Foster had had a much better year and it really was a 50/50 call. At that stage of the draft the club chose upside. Knobel was the other option and was seen as high risk, high reward and the club preferred a KPP over a Ruck and with Lemmey being 200+ CM the thought was if the club could develop some more physicality in him he could well be a Ruck Forward.

Now I just wanted to point something out to people once again. Clubs are not allowed to do medicals on draftees, they are only given the info the AFL allows.

This has ****ed multiple clubs over multiple times including West Coast specifically on Hewett and Archer Reid. If Hewett is a bust it has nothing to do with the recruiting team. It has since come out he had foot issues in his senior year and then even once at the club hid the minor foot problems from the club and played until he couldn't anymore. That is on the AFL & Hewett. Was like Scooter hiding how bad his ankle was having an effect on him. Archer Reid had a partially torn ACL. The AFL knew about both.

It's also why for me Mraz is a 100% do not draft. The club does not have enough resources in Victoria or the contacts on the medical side to get the info on how bad his foot is. So for me he is a 100% do not touch unless he's going to come to invterviews with his initial scans and up to date scans. It's just not worth burning a pick.

What's the opposite mean? The crows have no interest?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not no interest but unlikely trade up to take him ahead of players at a similar level (FOS/Lalor etc.) i.e. like you said we get pissed off with media assuming we want to trade up just because a kid is from WA.

Got that mail before his recent SANFL performances mind you so they may have a different view now.

Twomey's info only tends to come in very late. He tends to get it very right, particularly the top 10 but thats due to club and other contacts in the couple of weeks leading into the draft. Once you're past the top 10 all it takes is 1 team taking an unexpected player and everyone's phantoms fall to pieces.

I mean as a club in 2022 Carlton on draft day thought the Dogs were picking Busslinger, Eagles would pick Clark at 9 and Ginbey at 13 yet Twomey had it right. Hollands was a plan and it was a 2 year plan and I had spoken to his brother and family and part of selecting him was getting his brother via trade the next year. The club was hoping for Jakob Ryan to be available at the next pick but he was gone and Cowan was the backup. Cowan with the needs the club were chasing was my suggested pick. I didn't want to draft Binns as from all that I had seen he was a ball butcher. Got plenty of it but particularly under pressure was a turnover merchant. Scarily enough outside of his free kick for he had only 2 contested possessions and ran at 55.6% disposal efficiency and I thought it was one of the best games i had seen from him..... Club wanted a developing tall and despite thinking he could do with a year outside of the program there were other clubs interested so we went on highest available talent and drafted Lemmey. The choice was between him and Foster. Foster had had a much better year and it really was a 50/50 call. At that stage of the draft the club chose upside. Knobel was the other option and was seen as high risk, high reward and the club preferred a KPP over a Ruck and with Lemmey being 200+ CM the thought was if the club could develop some more physicality in him he could well be a Ruck Forward.

Now I just wanted to point something out to people once again. Clubs are not allowed to do medicals on draftees, they are only given the info the AFL allows.

This has ****ed multiple clubs over multiple times including West Coast specifically on Hewett and Archer Reid. If Hewett is a bust it has nothing to do with the recruiting team. It has since come out he had foot issues in his senior year and then even once at the club hid the minor foot problems from the club and played until he couldn't anymore. That is on the AFL & Hewett. Was like Scooter hiding how bad his ankle was having an effect on him. Archer Reid had a partially torn ACL. The AFL knew about both.

It's also why for me Mraz is a 100% do not draft. The club does not have enough resources in Victoria or the contacts on the medical side to get the info on how bad his foot is. So for me he is a 100% do not touch unless he's going to come to invterviews with his initial scans and up to date scans. It's just not worth burning a pick.
I absolutely love this insight into clubs and how they draft. Please share more whenever you can. It's so dam interesting! Cheers!

Why the hell aren't clubs allowed to do medicos on draftees?! Our club seems to have the best luck when it comes to zeroing on injured draftees.

I swear, I could sit back with a beer and pizza all day just listening and watching the drama unfold.

Shit is beautiful.

Separately, any talk of picks 3, 5 and 12 this year is getting my hopes up. No longer interested in the last game. I just want some hope, and with every draft with picks in the pointy end is the only real thing keeping me sane. Last three years has been too depressing.

Due to school, football commitments and that they don't want some poor teenagers having to do 10+ medicals on some players.
Can't the AFL do a onceover on all draftees? One medical, all clubs get the same info, clubs can make informed decisions.

Why the hell aren't clubs allowed to do medicos on draftees?! Our club seems to have the best luck when it comes to zeroing on injured draftees.

As is quite well known I was with Carlton in 2022. One of my first questions, particularly with family visits even if im certain a player doesn't have any injuries I'll ask 'What about the injury that's holding you back?' (the players are pretty good at not giving it up, the others around them though, not so much)

I swear, I could sit back with a beer and pizza all day just listening and watching the drama unfold.

Shit is beautiful.

Separately, any talk of picks 3, 5 and 12 this year is getting my hopes up. No longer interested in the last game. I just want some hope, and with every draft with picks in the pointy end is the only real thing keeping me sane. Last three years has been too depressing.

I think it's a fantasy and just something I put out there. If it was something I was currently working on I wouldn't be able to comment etc.

Due to school, football commitments and that they don't want some poor teenagers having to do 10+ medicals for clubs.
That’s a fair point although Mraz can choose to release his medical information to WCE club doctors. The initial and most recent CT and MRI of his Navicular would likely be enough for the club to make a determination in this circumstance. Non invasive and doesn’t require anything physical from the potential draftee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a fair point although Mraz can choose to release his medical information to WCE club doctors. The initial and most recent CT and MRI of his Navicular would likely be enough for the club to make a determination in this circumstance. Non invasive and doesn’t require anything physical from the potential draftee.

JD came to interviews with brain scans etc showing no lingering effects as well as a letter from his neurologist.

There have been quite a few studies into foot injuries in particular navicular. I'm running from memory here but even for non athletes the chance at least one or multiple recurring foot injuries was over 40%.

(just an aside im not sure if it was to all interviews but he did to the WCE)

The AFL is suck a ****ed organisation. Just taking Mraz as an example let's say this rumour is out there now and no club wants to draft him. AFL knows whats going on so can pass on whatever info they want to whoever they want, and they own the license of half the clubs. Or, player only wants to get to one club, shares his scans with that club only and they are all clear, everyone else passes and said club gets a bargain. Then for the rest of times are lauded for taking a chance on the guy nobody wanted so good on them for getting a star.

Edit: it's ok when we do it, JD was a bit of a bargain.

JD came to interviews with brain scans etc showing no lingering effects as well as a letter from his neurologist.

There have been quite a few studies into foot injuries in particular navicular. I'm running from memory here but even for non athletes the chance at least one or multiple recurring foot injuries was over 40%.
Perfect, that’s what we’d need from Noah. Navicular injury is potentially devastating to an athlete as there’s a risk that part of the bone dies due to a lack of blood supply. I’ve have posted many times that if we’re considering drafting him then we need to see his scans which will give us the information we need.

O’Farrell’s injury is far less severe but now that we’ve gone down the HEdwards path I feel he’d be less complementary to HEdwards than Mraz would.

Was there something about the crows being desperate for draper in the media?
Because I know ppl on here get a bit fed up with the eagles pretty much only being linked to west Aussies by the media

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If there was a West Australian kid in contention to be a top 3 pick and we were there abouts, we would be linked to him 100% and would likely pay the premium to move up a spot or 2 to get him. Or would we!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If there was a West Australian kid in contention to be a top 3 pick and we were there abouts, we would be linked to him 100% and would likely pay the premium to move up a spot or 2 to get him. Or would we!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did we do a trade for the highly rated WA kid last year?

Heard Melbourne have some interest in Jack Darling so we would be looking at pick 49 for him

Heard Melbourne have some interest in Jack Darling so we would be looking at pick 49 for him
I’d take it but how do we convince Jack to uproot his life and move to Victoria, any idea if they offering extended years?

Pick 49 would be helpful.

I’d take it but how do we convince Jack to uproot his life and move to Victoria, any idea if they offering extended years?

Pick 49 would be helpful.
If he was offered $600k I reckon he'd take it.

He said a couple of months back he wanted to play until 35...

Perfect, that’s what we’d need from Noah. Navicular injury is potentially devastating to an athlete as there’s a risk that part of the bone dies due to a lack of blood supply. I’ve have posted many times that if we’re considering drafting him then we need to see his scans which will give us the information we need.

O’Farrell’s injury is far less severe but now that we’ve gone down the HEdwards path I feel he’d be less complementary to HEdwards than Mraz would.
Just to add to this, this condition is known as avascular necrosis and can lead to chronic pain, loss of function, and even permanent damage if not properly addressed. Recovery from a navicular is often prolonged and the potential for re-injury or long term complications is super high, especially in something as demanding as afl footy. This is why I'm nervous about Hewett's injury and praying it has nothing to do with this.

Id say navicular injuries are the worst injury you can get.

(just an aside im not sure if it was to all interviews but he did to the WCE)
Is there any word on a possibility of an assistance package? Or did a 5 win season kill any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back