List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Twomey saying we will likely get two first round picks for Barrass if we maybe pay some of his salary, a pick potentially goes back to hawthorn too

Great news imo

However he followed it up with awful news that we’ve tabled pick 13 for Baker

13 for Baker???? In other words TB for Baker

I'm going to ****ing rage. We trade out 28 year old KPD for a 27 year old HBF.

And the KPD we trade out we dont really have effective cover for but that's the risk we take with trading him out for picks.

What's the ****ing point recruiting team?
Just bring back TB he is more needed then ****ing Baker. Jesus christ.

Twomey saying we will likely get two first round picks for Barrass if we maybe pay some of his salary, a pick potentially goes back to hawthorn too

Great news imo

Had heard Freo had better picks on the table for him. Twomey saying they're legit offering pick 10. Hoping we don't get McQualter purely to avoid this awful trade.

On every ****ing level. TB is more needed them Liam Baker.

What a disaster trade.

Last edited:
Had heard Freo had better picks on the table for him. Twomey saying they're legit offering pick 10. Hoping we don't get McQualter purely to avoid this awful trade.

We’re going to miss out on Lindsay or Travaglia for 4-5 years of Liam Baker

I’m sick to my stomach

But I expected this when we hired Clark

Great news imo

People thinking that’d be Barrass for Baker have overlooked the first sentence.

People against splitting I can see having an epic melt when we use live pick 4 on Travagalia.

Noted Monocle used pick 3 in the phantom on Travagalia. He is such a smooth mover and a distinct area of need. Our Lockie Whitfield.

Very high chance he is available at pick 6....live pick 7.
Look anytime you can address out urgent midfield need, by "looks at notes" taking a half back flanker, no matter how good, you have to do it....

Thank you. If the mid we take out of this draft is only TT it encapsulates everything wrong with us.

Tobie I love the guy has no runs on the board as a mid. I think he will make it as a fine mid but he has minimal run on the board.

Rather go for Lalor in that case.

With TT he will 100 percent be a slow burn mid. Draper/Lalor/Langford I have more faith they can play mid well day 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news imo

Might get 2 first rounders for Barrass and absolutely paying 13 for Baker is more Priktorian horseshit.

Baker for 13 is a disaster.
But writing angry e-mails and becoming physically ill may be a bit premature. Lets wait to see what actually happens.

13 for Baker + 21 certainly is more palatable Big_Birdy

Interesting Article on SEN, suggesting the game has trended towards - and unlikely to change anytime soon - a setup of having 4 or 5 superstars carrying the team and everyone else playing purely support roles. The above trade doesn't take away from this approach, loading up with potential superstars isn't as important as loading up with capable support players. In that regard, Baker + 21 holds more value than 13 alone.

But writing angry e-mails and becoming physically ill may be a bit premature. Lets wait to see what actually happens.

13 for Baker + 21 certainly is more palatable.

Interesting Article on SEN, suggesting the game has trended towards - and unlikely to change anytime soon - a setup of having 4 or 5 superstars carrying the team and everyone else playing purely support roles. The above trade doesn't take away from this approach, loading up with potential superstars isn't as important as loading up with capable support players. In that regard, Baker + 21 holds more value than 13 alone.
Except we can make a reasonable assumption that Baker won't be around/non-factor when our team is competing for flags again in 4 or 5 years time. So in that regard pick 13 >>>>> Pick 21 when it matters.

13 for Baker + 21 certainly is more palatable Big_Birdy

Yes I think WC will get something back too. I asked the question yesterday which picks could we get back if we put 13 on the table for Baker and got derided. Now seems very possible.

Richmond will have multiple second rounders we can go for

People that are suggesting we take TT with our first, is he going to be able to play mid in the future? Seems a reach.

If we trade 13 for Baker (yuck, better be something coming back) and take TT with 3, then we are going to pick our first mid at 23 again, in a midfielders draft. Seems a very WCE thing but surely it is obvious that we need ball winners and possession getters.

If we use 3 on a top mid and then split 13 for Baker and a second rounder, still yuck but could take that.

When Baker finally nominates the Eagles as the club he wants to go to we will be forced into making a deal with the Tigers. I know that’s not going to be overly popular in here however it’s out of our control.

I think with our lack of draft picks we will need to get creative and prepare ourselves for a split of pick 3.

Trade week

1) Split pick 23 for 29 & 39 with Tigers.

2) Pick 13 & Hawks F2 for Barrass (That’s pretty realistic. Equivalent to a top 10 pick which is pretty fair. Hawks won’t give up 2 first rounders).

3) Pick 3 & Hawks F2 for pick 6 & Baker.
(Tigers will want our F2, hopefully we can hold out)

4) Darling to Nth for pick 64.

Personally I’m happy with Travaglia @ pick 6. So going for some WA/Vic country flavour after that.

Pick 6)TT
Pick 13) Allan/Tauru/Berry
Pick 29)Gerryn/Hynes/Urquhart/Ough
Pick 39)Davis/Barrat/Day-Wicks/Dennis
Pick 59) Champion* (academy bid)
Pick 64 or Rookie selections
Artemis/Boxshall/Hayes/Ravenhill

Lots of good options in there to have a successful draft whilst still holding onto all of our future picks and bringing in Baker.

Over to you development coaches!!!
We should be able to do better than this

Thank you. If the mid we take out of this draft is only TT it encapsulates everything wrong with us.

Tobie I love the guy has no runs on the board as a mid. I think he will make it as a fine mid but he has minimal run on the board.

Rather go for Lalor in that case.

With TT he will 100 percent be a slow burn mid. Draper/Lalor/Langford I have more faith they can play mid well day 1

Lucky we have other picks to use on mids.

And trade in others.

I would have no issue using pick 3 / 4 on Travagalia. It means we rated him that highly and didn't want to risk missi g him by downgrading.

If we split 3 and still landed Travagalia and another 1st round pick I'd be very happy.

Use 13 from Hawks and the other pick on a mid and Tauru.

Except we can make a reasonable assumption that Baker won't be around/non-factor when our team is competing for flags again in 4 or 5 years time. So in that regard pick 13 >>>>> Pick 21 when it matters.

If baker plays to age 33-34, which is a good likelihood given his durability and lack of travel to date, gives us 6-7 years of his services.

Pick 13 vs 21 in such an even draft might not matter nor are earlier picks guaranteed to be the better player.

If baker plays to age 33-34, which is a good likelihood given his durability and lack of travel to date, gives us 6-7 years of his services.

Pick 13 vs 21 in such an even draft might not matter nor are earlier picks guaranteed to be the better player.
He's an undersized effort player with poor skills. There is value in that to a degree, but it won't age well at all. If he makes it past 31/32 as a positive value player I'll be very very surprised.

Considering we were probably only gonna get 2 years out of TB anyway and maybe get 5 or so from Baker they semi cover themselves if it's Baker for the TB pick

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Impossible to even predict that. TB doesn't even turn 29 until the end of next season.

Gov is 32 and with all his past injuries we're probably still hoping to get a couple more years out of him.

TB is 3.5 years younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back