List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Find it hard to believe that Kelly is only worth a second round pick. He played this year with a hip injury you campaigners.
Won our F&B only 12 months ago. Is still currently our second best midfielder and could well be our best when 100% fit and still under contract.

Outside of the garbage being written about his worth in this thread it’s simply his manager trying to get the ball rolling on a new contract. It makes sense that with 12 months to go that Kelly would like to start negotiations on a new contract.

The good news is that we aren’t the same club anymore that was gifting big fat extensions to blokes approaching 30 yrs of age like we were post 2018. The big extensions are going to blokes in there mid twenties such as Waterman and Allen.
If Kelly doesn’t like what he is hearing about a contract extension then I’m sure the club would be happy for him to look elsewhere like Barrass has. It won’t be for a second round pick though.

Find it hard to believe that Kelly is only worth a second round pick. He played this year with a hip injury you campaigners.
Won our F&B only 12 months ago. Is still currently our second best midfielder and could well be our best when 100% fit and still under contract.

Outside of the garbage being written about his worth in this thread it’s simply his manager trying to get the ball rolling on a new contract. It makes sense that with 12 months to go that Kelly would like to start negotiations on a new contract.

The good news is that we aren’t the same club anymore that was gifting big fat extensions to blokes approaching 30 yrs of age like we were post 2018. The big extensions are going to blokes in there mid twenties such as Waterman and Allen.
If Kelly doesn’t like what he is hearing about a contract extension then I’m sure the club would be happy for him to look elsewhere like Barrass has. It won’t be for a second round pick though.
Are you thinking early teens for a contender? Less valuable than Barrass at top 10, more valuable than Richmond fan's thinking Baker is worth a late first?

Cody shapes as the number 1 key defender prospect in the pool entering 2025, although he's also played forward to great effect at Colts level this season. He's much stronger overhead than his brother Dan and looks a more intense competitor, similarly solid disposal skills but perhaps little less clean with the ground ball.

Do you (or anyone else in this thread) think Curtin seems like a top 10 prospect?
If not do you have any projection on where he might sit?

I know its very early

If I was Hawks I’d spew at that suggestion and I’d be extremely happy with it as an Eagles supporter. Probably tells you that it’s lopsided.

MeGA trade

Eagles
Out Barrass, Kelly(+salary), F3
In Baker, 10,29,30

Richmond
Out Baker, Bolton, 29
In 9,13,16

Freo
Out 9,10,16
In Bolton, Kelly, HF2

Hawks
Out 13,30, F2
Barrass, WCF3

Eagles get Baker plus picks. Richmond get 3 1sts. Freo get Bolton and Kelly + pick for Warner next year. Hawks get Barrass and keep their F1.

Well it should be lopsided, he has a long term contract and they courted him. Would be bizarre if Hawks think they would be getting him for straight up fair value.

Do you (or anyone else in this thread) think Curtin seems like a top 10 prospect?
If not do you have any projection on where he might sit?

I know its very early
I definitely see him as a top 10 prospect as it stands. One of the big question marks over Dan was uncertainty around his best position, largely due to his relatively poor aerial skills for his height. That's not the situation for Cody... he's powerful and dominant in the air, and great with his bodywork in marking contests. He's 100% pure key position - we already know that he can be an outstanding key defender, the only question to be answered I think is whether he's going to be capable of kicking bags forward.

Looking at a possible worst case scenario that may still be somewhat good for us.

Pick 3 and some extras for Baker+10.

Now before people freakout, 10 and 13 will ensure us TT and Lindsay.

Whilst these two aren't star mid prospects, they still provide us with much needed outside speed, good footskills and drive off the wing and out the backline.

TT starts in defence and Lindsay on the wing, while Baker plays full time mid for us.

While not ideal, we need to have 2 picks in the top 20 and this may be the only way to do it.

TT, Lindsay and Baker is still pretty good tbh.
We need another gun mid badly....Draper , FOS , Lalor ...

Are you thinking early teens for a contender? Less valuable than Barrass at top 10, more valuable than Richmond fan's thinking Baker is worth a late first?
If he went to Freo I wouldn’t accept anything less than pick 16. Probably start the negotiations at pick 10 with something going back and settle on that pick 16. Otherwise he’s worth more to us than that. If he gets over his niggles from this year and returns to 2023 form he’s still a good player.

End of the day we have a new coach so things can change quickly in the AFL and that’s more likely to happen the better your list is. You don’t just give away good players unless your salary cap is a mess.

Don’t overthink it like I said in my previous post it’s simply his manager trying to get the ball rolling over the summer break.

I think thats pretty even tbh. Better for us using the Hawks F1 instead of 13.

Id really want to try to split 18 again after this too, or split 3 into 6 or 7 + 2nd round pick with Richmond or Saints.
Take whichever is best available with 6/7 and 13 then fill list holes with 3x 2nd round picks and Champion
Not champion...how many undersized inconsistent small forwards do we want? We've got Brockman, Dewar and Long .

With Baker and Graham all but locked in, I had a quick look at a few key stats to see what they bring to the table and where they would have stacked up in our side this year.

Baker:
  • 4th for PR - every player above him 29 or older.
  • 6th Coaches votes
  • 5th Disposals, 4th Contested Pos, 4th Ground Ball Gets, 8th Hard Ball gets.
  • 3rd Inside 50's
  • 6th Metres Gained.
  • 4th Turnovers - TK 1st, Yeo 2nd & Duggan 3rd.
  • 7th Centre Bounce Attendance, 5th Clearances.
  • 6th Tackles, 2nd Pressure Acts.
  • 6th Goals, 2nd Score Involvment, 5th Score Launch.
Graham
  • 11th for Player Ratings - Only two players younger than him above him Reid 6th & Ginbey 9th.
  • 7th Disposals, 8th Contested Posessions, 6th Ground Ball Gets, 11th Hard Ball Gets.
  • 9th Inside 50's, 9th Score Involvements.
  • 6th Centre Bounce Attendance, 6th Clearances.
  • 3rd tackles, 4th Pressure Acts.

1727828879509.png

With Baker and Graham all but locked in, I had a quick look at a few key stats to see what they bring to the table and where they would have stacked up in our side this year.

Baker:
  • 4th for PR - every player above him 29 or older.
  • 6th Coaches votes
  • 5th Disposals, 4th Contested Pos, 4th Ground Ball Gets, 8th Hard Ball gets.
  • 3rd Inside 50's
  • 6th Metres Gained.
  • 4th Turnovers - TK 1st, Yeo 2nd & Duggan 3rd.
  • 7th Centre Bounce Attendance, 5th Clearances.
  • 6th Tackles, 2nd Pressure Acts.
  • 6th Goals, 2nd Score Involvment, 5th Score Launch.
Graham
  • 11th for Player Ratings - Only two players younger than him above him Reid 6th & Ginbey 9th.
  • 7th Disposals, 8th Contested Posessions, 6th Ground Ball Gets, 11th Hard Ball Gets.
  • 9th Inside 50's, 9th Score Involvements.
  • 6th Centre Bounce Attendance, 6th Clearances.
  • 3rd tackles, 4th Pressure Acts.

View attachment 2128801
Nice work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it should be lopsided, he has a long term contract and they courted him. Would be bizarre if Hawks think they would be getting him for straight up fair value.

I think we’re pretty keen for the trade too though. Mutually beneficial and helps us facilitate other trades.

What people are suggesting with two firsts is the opposite to the Kelly trade but for a 29yr old not a 23 year old.
I know publically that’s what we are asking for but think it’s much more likely a first and a second.

Honestly, we've brought in a lot of kids these past couple of years. If we dealt Pick 3 and the Barass pick for Warner, and pick 23 for Baker, get Graham as a FA, I could honestly live with it. Would be nice if we got some sweet compo picks to assist with adding some more draftees or being ontraded.

Warner is only 23yrs old, so entering his prime, and has a decade of footy left in him. He;s already one of the better mids in the competition.

Midfield group of Warner, Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Baker, Graham looks pretty solid. Honestly, we just need a decent ruck that can win a few hitouts.

Worst case scenario we're still shit next year and we get another top 3 pick to add to the mix.
The comp is quite close if we improve we could win 7-9 games and still get pick 3 or 4 which would be ok

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

1) I absolutely think TK's management fed Ryan Daniels contract info to Tweet to get the ball rolling on an extension, and 2) I think it backfired when they saw the reaction overnight and this morning of one side being 'How dare they' and the other side being 'YES PLEASE GO!' Lol

To me that reads a little like Witho’s manager’s comments that they are keen to extend but WCE keeping their powder dry and might see what if any comments come in (for Kelly).

I like it.

Also Byron_Clanger snr’s day just got a whole lot shittier.

It's a throw away comment by Kelly's manager. What else would they say.

Happy to extend his contract. Happy to be there.

We may end up with a Barrass type scenario. If you want a contract extension it may need to be elsewhere.

I think we’re pretty keen for the trade too though. Mutually beneficial and helps us facilitate other trades.

What people are suggesting with two firsts is the opposite to the Kelly trade but for a 29yr old not a 23 year old.
I know publically that’s what we are asking for but think it’s much more likely a first and a second.

The clubs fine with either outcome. They won't be sending Barrass off for unders.

Two firsts is absolutely fair when you factor in one is pick 13 which will be pushed out to 14/15 and Hawks F1 could be close to pick 20 when you factor in where Hawks could finish and the amount of bid matching for next draft.

Not champion...how many undersized inconsistent small forwards do we want? We've got Brockman, Dewar and Long .
Brockman, Dewar and Long arent really goal kicking smalls, Champion is the more crafty type imo.
None of them are really locks to be good players either, id 100% take Champion and then Walley next year, surely we get at least 1 up to 3 good ones from that mix.
Can always delist in 2 years if they dont pan out

I definitely see him as a top 10 prospect as it stands. One of the big question marks over Dan was uncertainty around his best position, largely due to his relatively poor aerial skills for his height. That's not the situation for Cody... he's powerful and dominant in the air, and great with his bodywork in marking contests. He's 100% pure key position - we already know that he can be an outstanding key defender, the only question to be answered I think is whether he's going to be capable of kicking bags forward.
Nice, if he ended up as a KPD I think id be pretty keen

How about a few players for Kelly from Freo, O'Driscoll and Knobel?
Not sure on Kelly's value tbh, older but still quality, for a couple of young fellas that both have decent up side.
Unlikely Freo gives up their youth though

I'd trade a 31 year old Kelly plus a F3rd for Erasmus, Noble and pick 27. And pay some of his 2025 salary.

Two young yet unproven players in positions of need plus a handy 2nd rounder.

Just don't see a top 10 pick being involved in any deal for Tim.

Brockman, Dewar and Long arent really goal kicking smalls, Champion is the more crafty type imo.
None of them are really locks to be good players either, id 100% take Champion and then Walley next year, surely we get at least 1 up to 3 good ones from that mix.
Can always delist in 2 years if they dont pan out
I'd take Jaxon Artemis in a heartbeat over Champion. Half back flanker / wing, metres gained type player, takes the game on, great footy brain , very quick on his feet, WA MVP at the Carnival with Bo Allan and Champion both playing ... and fills that outside runner we need

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back