List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it fair to say that if we don't pick-up Robertson it's because of personality reasons

Did anything happen this year which should see our interest non existent

New List/Recruiting Manager may just not rate him as much as his predecessor. He didn’t exactly do a lot to boost his stocks in 2024.

Brisbane would probably rather retain him and will be chasing a 2nd Round Pick - too high to pay for a guy who is not a sure thing at AFL level.

Been told we never put a formal offer to him, just informal talks. That’s where we’re at. Would have walked into our best 22 and younger and cheaper than our other main target.

Garcia has done nothing at AFL level - he has some nice attributes but he’s not someone who will definitely make us better.

Is it fair to say that if we don't pick-up Robertson it's because of personality reasons

Did anything happen this year which should see our interest non existent
He didn't play? Turned his back on us last year? Will play a similar role to Graham whose a free hit

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

New List/Recruiting Manager may just not rate him as much as his predecessor. He didn’t exactly do a lot to boost his stocks in 2024.

Brisbane would probably rather retain him and will be chasing a 2nd Round Pick - too high to pay for a guy who is not a sure thing at AFL level.

Garcia has done nothing at AFL level - he has some nice attributes but he’s not someone who will definitely make us better.
Impression I got from Brisbane list manager is he will be basically free

Not sure what Clarke could judge that on if he wanted Jack Graham. A bit contradictory

He's done more than Dev with less opportunity.

Given opportunity id expect Garcia to be a higher production player than Baker has ever been.

Nothing is definite but very comfortable he would have been a better option than any of LEdwards, Brockman, Jones, Sheed and Culley this year. Also would have been picked ahead of Johnson, Chesser and Hall.

I’ve said before watched a lot of him in the VFL in the first half of the year and he’s going to be a player in an age group we need. If he wasn’t competing with Bont, Libba and Treloar he would have seen far more midfield time at AFL level. Another poor list management decision by not even offering a contract if that’s correct.

Robertson and Graham are not similar. Graham is primarily a tagger/defensive half forward and Robertson is a extractor
So, Graham sounds like exactly what we need then, considering we've just lost Darling, who led our team in F50 tackles?

Then we have Yeo/Reid to get the pill. Hewett's also good at winning stoppages, provided he's over his injury issues.

So Dev doesn't really fit that much of a need + he was uncontracted last year and word around trade radio is that Lions would be looking for a 2nd rounder to trade him this year.

Really don't understand people's obsession with Dev Robertson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got the impression from the presser that we are looking to do the Tigers deal independent of the Barrass deal.
Which is why Clarke was a bit flippant about Bakers value because he plans to to split 3 for him. He also mentioned other clubs being involved.
If we turn 3 into 6 + Baker and get to keep 14 I’ll take that.
Dev for one of our 60’s picks or we walk away. With Baker and Graham he is not a must have anymore.
6,14,26, 67 + Baker and Dev wouldn’t be a bad result from the trade period.

Plus, some 2025 draft currency from Barrass.

Robertson and Graham are not similar. Graham is primarily a tagger/defensive half forward and Robertson is a extractor

Extractors have good hands in close. Dev is a defensive mid at the level.

I don’t think many are saying that

They are saying we shouldn’t be giving up picks in the low teens when we’re not contending

Pick 14 will slide to 17.

Is pick 17 a pick in the low teens?

Only way we pay that is if later picks come back. Even if it's two picks in the 40's we can either use on draft night or trade for a Robertson or Garcia types.

The AFL has gutted the value of these picks by handing out compo picks like confetti PLUS father son PLUS academy access to all the poor struggling teams playing finals and those lists years ahead of ours.

Eagles are one of the weakest ground ball teams 8n the comp.

Garcia is excellent below the knees. He would IMO compliment Harley and other burst mids very well. And improve us.

So, Graham sounds like exactly what we need then, considering we've just lost Darling, who led our team in F50 tackles?

Then we have Yeo/Reid to get the pill. Hewett's also good at winning stoppages, provided he's over his injury issues.

So Dev doesn't really fit that much of a need + he was uncontracted last year and word around trade radio is that Lions would be looking for a 2nd rounder to trade him this year.

We need midfielders, lots of them. We have no depth. Dev could be effectively free, is in the right age group, has played in a grand final, would probably walk into our best 22 and even if not, would be good depth putting pressure on those in the middle.

Looks good in a torn guernsey?

Pick 14 will slide to 17.

Is pick 17 a pick in the low teens?

Only way we pay that is if later picks come back. Even if it's two picks in the 40's we can either use on draft night or trade for a Robertson or Garcia types.

The AFL has gutted the value of these picks by handing out compo picks like confetti PLUS father son PLUS academy access to all the poor struggling teams playing finals and those lists years ahead of ours.

I have said before that the top 10 picks in the draft should be sacred every year. The AFL like you said have made a mockery of it. They should have no say in FA compo.

We need midfielders, lots of them. We have no depth. Dev could be effectively free, is in the right age group, has played in a grand final, would probably walk into our best 22 and even if not, would be good depth putting pressure on those in the middle.
I don't disagree, provided it's only a late pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back