List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the only real negative adding Graham, other than the fact he's injury prone and fairly B grade was that it meant Dev would be less likely to happen.

When if you look at them, Dev has much more upside, still potentially loads of room for more development, whilst Graham peaked a couple years ago.

Hopefully Dev still happens. Can never have too much mid depth, particularly for a side as lacking as ours.

It's either Dev or carry on with Ledwards for yet another year :rainbow:

Would be an absolutely bonkers strategy to draft in hopes of trading for a player down the line. It both requires Reid to want out of West Coast and then, most implausibly of all, nominate Melbourne.

But if any team was crazy enough to do it…
Much like the kelly trade situation i have no doubt that the media will be up in arms if reid wants to go home AND nominates a team. That would be disgraceful ,he should just go to whoever gives us the most

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m totally out of the loop regarding the draft and the players but I just saw FOS stated as a Bont like player. While Bont for his size isn’t the typical bull his size is an advantage. Interestingly FOS is 14cm shorter and in the modern day game stated as a small mid. First time I’ve seen a smaller mid compared to a bigger bodied mid
I think Langford has been compared to Bont more often

Good. I’d be surprised if we’re not top of his list. Next question is price and where we draw the line. Would Brisbane drive a hard bargain? In order of preference:

Swap F4s
Pick 67
Pick 62

Unfortunately with points a premium for Brisbane I don’t think any of the above would be accepted even though they should be.
I actually hope we don't take him and wait til he's delisted if we're still keen

Are priority picks out of the question for us now? I can’t recall but assume North got theirs before the trade period, or at least the ones that they had to trade for players (hard to remember all the different poverty packages they have been given).

Disappointing if we aren’t considered given how far our picks have been pushed back the last couple of years and with other teams getting gifted high picks for average FAs. An end of R1 this year would’ve made the Baker trade straight forward. A couple of F1s would be handy to strengthen our chances of Chad.

I actually hope we don't take him and wait til he's delisted if we're still keen

If it’s anything other than those picks I’d agree. A lot is going to depend on exactly what was said between Dev and Fagan at the end of last year.

If it was stay for a year, fight for your spot and if it doesn’t work out we’ll get you to West Coast without hassle (like Darling) then great.

HEs under contract for next year. They are not delisting him.

A cheap pick is what he's worth now. Either of our picks in the 60's is fine. If ended up with Champion and him for our two 60's picks would be fine.

Are priority picks out of the question for us now? I can’t recall but assume North got theirs before the trade period, or at least the ones that they had to trade for players (hard to remember all the different poverty packages they have been given).

Disappointing if we aren’t considered given how far our picks have been pushed back the last couple of years and with other teams getting gifted high picks for average FAs. An end of R1 this year would’ve made the Baker trade straight forward. A couple of F1s would be handy to strengthen our chances of Chad.
Yes
PP's are out of the question, I think.

The club hasn't come out and said anything which is really disappointing.

I'm guessing we never applied as I'm sure the media would've reported something about it.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be an absolutely bonkers strategy to draft in hopes of trading for a player down the line. It both requires Reid to want out of West Coast and then, most implausibly of all, nominate Melbourne.

But if any team was crazy enough to do it…

Well considering they drafted Rivers, Van Rooyen, McVee and Pickett years before Harley was being discussed it obviously not a key strategy back then

More a coincidence.

If they are focused on Bo Allen not with pick 5 but another 1st and reaching?

And a bet each way means they are more than happy to retain WA players drafted. It just gives them options if it occurred.

HEs under contract for next year. They are not delisting him.

A cheap pick is what he's worth now. Either of our picks in the 60's is fine. If ended up with Champion and him for our two 60's picks would be fine.
Yeah, wait til next year..

Yeah not happening, if we were getting them, we'd have received them by now.

Just a thought with sliding back from 3. If you look at Fremantle’s draft picks with there latest rebuild Brayshaw was there highest pick going at 2. Young was 6, Serong 7 & Amiss 8, Champman 11, & so on.

They never had any help from the AFL unlike some clubs but they have just found the way payers by picking well (It’s hard for me to give any credit to Fremantle)

It’s a good example that there are still great players after 5 so personally not too bothered to slide back if it generates extra players/picks.

Much like the kelly trade situation i have no doubt that the media will be up in arms if reid wants to go home AND nominates a team. That would be disgraceful ,he should just go to whoever gives us the most

The classic unbiased position of “Well there’s TWO teams in WA so he can be traded to the highest bidder”

It’s only fair that the equal is applied the other way “Well there’s TEN teams in VIC so he can be traded to the highest bidder”

Strangely still waiting to hear it…

Sure it’s admiral that Freo haven’t had any handouts (ill say Henry is one) but you can argue they have been rebuilding for like 7 or 8 years.

Retention is a big key to a rebuid
pirates of the caribbean GIF by Jerology

Yeah not happening, if we were getting them, we'd have received them by now.

Yep no PP's for us this year.

But next year we are a shoo in when Nth passes us and the more importantly, a couple of Tiggers performances make our 24 June 2023 Sydney romp look like rip roaring, down to the line contested battle (i.e. shite we need to slip WC a couple so we can help our VIP big Melbourne club who traded out all their good players, for the good of the comp).

Just a thought with sliding back from 3. If you look at Fremantle’s draft picks with there latest rebuild Brayshaw was there highest pick going at 2. Young was 6, Serong 7 & Amiss 8, Champman 11, & so on.

They never had any help from the AFL unlike some clubs but they have just found the way payers by picking well (It’s hard for me to give any credit to Fremantle)

It’s a good example that there are still great players after 5 so personally not too bothered to slide back if it generates extra players/picks.
It highlights that you still need top 10 picks though. Given we have our #1, it gives us flexibility moving forward to upgrade and downgrade to find players to complement Harley but we're certainly going to need more top 10 picks than Ginbey.

Sliding back just seems a pipe dream.

Clubs all seem to be aware of the depth and looking for picks in that 6-14 range. What makes us think that a club will overpay for pick 3 and give us the right combo of picks to make it worthwhile?

Also Freo have won 1 final (and had one season in the finals) since their Prelim appearance in 2015. Lets hang off on giving them credit for a rebuild until they actually make finals, and win some.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back