List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clubs don't want 2025 picks because it's so heavily compromised. Not because its weaker than this draft.
I know. I made no comment on the quality of next years draft?
I said that this years draft is difficult to get into. Most of that stems from the glut of FS and academy picks next year which will make the first round push into the late twenties, if not thirties. Future picks are devalued due to that.

Fair enough. But I like the kid and think he is a perfect age and fit for our rebuild .

So do I pal, if there's no Dev I'd be knocking straight on Carlton's window about Jack Carroll.

Hell, even with Dev and Graham it's still worth asking. If the bloke gets delisted it's also a no brainer to look into adding him for cheap.

Barrass plus Petruccelle

For 14, Ashton Moir and Carroll.

GET IT DONE
Looks ok in theory but no, 14 ends up going to Richmond for Baker, thus defeating the reprieve that Hawthorn have kindly given us.

If Witho is truly a clubman, he should demand he is traded to the team he always wanted to play for, the Gold Coast Suns. Witho and Hawks 2x future firsts go to the Suns, Barrass goes to Hawthorn and pick 6 comes to us.

Suns have their HBF all sorted and no longer need Rioli. We take FOS and Travaglia and no one gives a shit what happens for the rest of the draft. Barrass wins a flag with the hawks next year.

Looks ok in theory but no, 14 ends up going to Richmond for Baker, thus defeating the reprieve that Hawthorn have kindly given us.

If Witho is truly a clubman, he should demand he is traded to the team he always wanted to play for, the Gold Coast Suns. Witho and the two future picks Hawthorn acquired go to the Suns, Barrass goes to Hawthorn and pick 6 comes to us.

Suns have their HBF all sorted and no longer need Rioli. We take FOS and Travaglia and no one gives a shit what happens for the rest of the draft. Barrass wins a flag with the hawks next year.

I mean I get it, but imo any deal reliant on Witho holding any value whatsoever is a bit of a stretch

Hawks wanted Barrass and F2 for 14 and F1
We wanted 2 F1st

Now

Hawks got a F1 and 2nd for 14

Meaning

Hawks give both Hawks and blues F1 for Barrass

Hawks still get barrass and the F2 they initially wanted in the trade.

We then auction off our F1 for dees pick 5 and F2

3 5 23 28 champion.

Walk baker to PSD...**** em
F3 for dev

Hawks and blues F1 dees F2 our F2

I'm applying for list manager next time it comes up

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawks wanted Barrass and F2 for 14 and F1
We wanted 2 F1st

Now

Hawks got a F1 and 2nd for 14

Meaning

Hawks give both Hawks and blues F1 for Barrass

Hawks still get barrass and the F2 they initially wanted in the trade.

We then auction off our F1 for dees pick 5 and F2

3 5 23 28 champion.

Walk baker to PSD...**** em
F3 for dev

Hawks and blues F1 dees F2 our F2

I'm applying for list manager next time it comes up

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dees are trading into this draft, not out of it.

Saints or Essendon would maybe take our F1.

Look - I know I may be guilty of trying to embed new sayings into the vernacular with regards to the spinning of men’s hats and such….

But you can’t take two existing sayings and just mash them together. It’s rough end of the stick and come the raw prawn. You’ve sucked the meaning out of both there. This has outraged me more than anything else so far this trade period!
Look at you getting all high and mighty on your horse. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't call kettles black mate.

Someone mentioned earlier how farfetched it is that a club redraft a player after they walk to the PSD.

That flog Jack Martin walked his ass there when Carlton refused to pony up a good offer so Fold Coast got nothing.... And then Fold Coast passed on him in the PSD and let him go with Carlton still having a later selection :eek:

More recent was Hately waking to the PSD after Adelaide wouldn't come to the party with a suitable pick for GWS

So in the event the Baker thing doesn't happen, I'd say we should be more worried about North at pick 2 than Richmond selecting him again.

Im sure there's ways around it, with Baker nominating WA and setting his salary or whatever else.

Unlikely to happen IMO, you'd think at the very very worst case, if it looks like it won't happen we'd pony up pick 26 at the death and it gets done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt Baker is going to Dockers.

Imagine convincing your best mate to relocate clubs across the other side of the country so you can still play together to only change your mind after your mate has signed and play for the other team.

I’m sure Jack would understand. 😂

Dropped in to see how the folks are coping and my initial assessment is that we know SFA but most will be watching what Carlton do with Pick 14 (although truth be told, I expect we were not going to take pick 3 or pick 14 to the draft).

Hawks have certainly muddied the waters and Tom may or may not be a Hawk in 2025. I believe not swapping Tom for Baker will be a win. Welcoming back TB37 to MRP is a pretty good outcome.

What we do know is that we have taken a firm stance on valuation and will not be undersold. Great news. Listen up for all those who claim we are weak negotiators, I think Clarke has been busy albeit not beating his chest or claiming feathers for his cap.

Personally, I have no idea what will happen next. Funny how journalists who have never been list managers, never been player agents and most have never played at the top level, yet they seem to have moved from being reporters to having a view or opinion that actual matters.

Do yourself a favour and stay off trade radio. If you really really want to listen to a few ar$eholes discussing matters, invite your friends over, serve up the baked beans on toast followed by masses of dried apricots and wait 60 minutes and enjoy the James Brayshaw farts competition. It will make about the same sense.

To be fair, I am excluding Gettable from that as Cal and Riley seem less interested in spouting what they think will happen and more of what they have been told from recruiters and agents.

Last edited:
Barrett's take on it is probably dumber than Ralph's

Why am I listening

When Barrett is done fellating Hawthorn he’ll have RSI in the jaw

We refused the trade because Hawthorn didn’t pony up for a player that actively and openly pursued

The question shouldn’t be why we supposedly played hardball but why Hawthorn who could’ve sealed the deal with 14 and their F2, spat the dummy because we wouldn’t give them our F3 (a pick that’ll be in the low to mid 40’s in all likelihood)

Now the trade of 14 for Carlton’s F1 and F2 is a good one for them and could possibly land them in a better position overall. That remains to be seen however

It might also have cost them Barrass and earn them a reputation among player managers that they don’t follow through on their promises to land a trade target

Pick 14 and their F2 was a fair trade. Arguably unders

maher on sen blaming us for failing to come to the party on the barrass trade 😅

Another moron

It’s Hawthorn who need to come to the party as they’re the ones chasing a contracted player

The same way Fremantle and Gold Coast are being told to in their respective pursuits of Bolton and Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back