List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a little confused as to why we are ‘working with Baker’ to find a deal?

Nobody else is being framed that way.

Geelong aren’t working with Bailey Smith to find a deal and so forth.

Just seems odd.

Why would Baker have any say at all in what we pay for him at the trade table?…
Should just walk him to the PSD. unlikely tiggas will redraft him.

North may?

Pfffft.

Feel free to list Hawthorn's 6 best midfielders.

2 best forwards.

And 2 best tall defenders.

And let's just see how far off (behind) the Eagles similar list is.

And they did start rebuilding 3 years before us.

Pro Tip: If you list Barrass and Battle as defenders and pretend Sicily is a forward then you don’t have to include Mabior Chol at all. 👍🏻

AFL HQ went back to pre-J.Ugle-Hagan rules after the debacle last year with L.Collard.

Official "reason" was to keep numbers of indigenous draftees from falling.

Doesn't help us at all, but it allows the Bombers to match on I.Kako in the first round this year.
Then why was the St Kilda guy still complaining about this lol.
What date did they make the rule change? I thought they were still considering it.

Last edited:
What did they make the rule change?
Complained cause the draft is compromised to ****, with compo, academy, father son, all this (which it is).

Then the AFL handed them pick 8 for someone named Josh or John or Jake Battle? Suspiciously quiet on the western front after that, funnily enough.

AFL HQ went back to pre-J.Ugle-Hagan rules after the debacle last year with L.Collard.

Official "reason" was to keep numbers of indigenous draftees from falling.

Doesn't help us at all, but it allows the Bombers to match on I.Kako in the first round this year.

I doubt Collard was on the radar - more so keeping the wolves at the door (aka every other club) so they can retain the armchair ride that the ‘Northern’ clubs get on their academies.

It won’t help us much this year - maybe if Champion slipped inside anyone’s top 40 but will work to our advantage eventually….assuming of course they don’t just change the rules again, which of course they will.

What did they make the rule change?
The academies arent the same. NSW and QLD teams can add any player from their state to their academies, so all the good NSW or QLD kids go to those teams.
Vic, SA, and WA teams can only add indigenous or immigrant kids basically.

Its still a huge advantage for the northern state clubs

I think he specifically mentioned f/s picks though

I’m a little confused as to why we are ‘working with Baker’ to find a deal?

Nobody else is being framed that way.

Geelong aren’t working with Bailey Smith to find a deal and so forth.

Just seems odd.

Why would Baker have any say at all in what we pay for him at the trade table?…
Makes we wish for one of those normal years where we are a non-factor in trade week. Can’t stand the narratives that get built used to constantly frame everything.

The Barrass and Baker trades are totally independent, either could get done or not despite the other.

We’ll see.

Pro Tip: If you list Barrass and Battle as defenders and pretend Sicily is a forward then you don’t have to include Mabior Chol at all. 👍🏻

Or we could disregard this trade period all together.

GE has his knickers in a knot seemingly because Hawthorn leap frogged us in their rebuild.

I actually don't rate Hawks list as highly as alot of people. Mitchell is certainly getting the most out of what they have.

Can see them easily regressing in 2025. Rebuilds are not linear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The academies arent the same. NSW and QLD teams can add any player from their state to their academies, so all the good NSW or QLD kids go to those teams.

Immigrant - one parent born OS - personal experience. It's about brand building except for NSW and Old where it is very serious talent ID.

Is the Tassie team likely to have this arrangement, at least temporarily?
They can't claim to not be a traditionally AFL state.

Immigrant - one parent born OS - personal experience. It's about brand building except for NSW and Old where it is very serious talent ID.

Like young Nick Blakely - just a regular NSW kid who would have been lost to the game without a place in the Swans academy. Probably didn’t see a Sherrin until his first training session. He’d be lizard-scurrying around winning Premierships for Penrith right now if it wasn’t for the Swans academy!

Is the Tassie team likely to have this arrangement, at least temporarily?
They can't claim to not be a traditionally AFL state.

Very likely - I’m pretty sure it’s already in place.

While technically a traditional state, they have not exactly been a major producer of talent - the league will want a major focus on that to help boost retention that will be a challenge once the Vic clubs realise nobody wants to live in Tasmania.

As much as Freo should F off and stay out of our trade business as it’s the reason Bakers value is being talked up so high.

They may actually save us if splitting pick 3 becomes too difficult, Baker goes to Freo for pick 11 and that would probably put us in a strong position for Warner next year.

I’d like Baker at the club but at the right price and I don’t see that happening so we should walk away.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back