List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance it’s a sneaky pick 3 and change for Warner? Seems intentionally open ended.

Theres a decent chance that’s the highest pick the Swans will get for him over the next 2 years so they might pull the trigger if they’re resigned to losing him?

Zero chance Ch.Warner goes this year.

Swans are in a contending window and he's on a low-value contract through next year.

They will hold him to 2025 at the minimum.

[emoji[emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="Eastcoasteagle" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Feels like our long and complex attempted move is;

. Barrass for Hawks or Blues F and F

. On trade to GC for

. On Trade to Swans for [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] and

. [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] for Baker and keep

North have tabled their F to the Suns for , Saints also have.

I don’t see them accepting our offer over theirs and probably others too.

Suggests us trading a pick in the 60’s for Owies. Hard to get overly excited about but he’s cheap depth and might suit our game plan

Small forward who’s already 27 wouldn’t have been a high priority with Baker still expected to come in

This might also explain why we’re seemingly not interested in Robertson although I’m not sure why we aren’t. Dev would be a better fit and is younger.

Hawks F1 (~pick 15) + Blues F1 (~pick 16) -> Tom Barass

Eagles 1st (~pick 5) + one of Hawks/Blues F1 -> Warner.

The above seems the best possible option for us. Question as to what we have to send back with Tommy. Given that those F1'st's are unlikely to be valuable (other than Warner trade) as Hawks and Blues are likely to be good and lots of academy kids, hopefully only a F3 from us.

Use Pick 3 this year on a gun mid (~Draper), the 2025 you're rolling out Reid, Draper, Warner as your primary mids. Job done.

Chief I feel like the whole forum needs I Survived Trade Period 2024 badges. This has been very very lacklustre and I would like to formalise the occasion. Thoughts?
Am I dreaming, or did the AFL once held off on announcing last minute trades until the last moments of the trade period so they can be televised?

Im not saying to abandon it, but it will never even out under the current system. I saw something that GC have 800+ kids in their academy, basically every kid in their zone who plays footy they get access so. We get a few aboriginal kids from rural areas. Its just not comparable.

Just need to reduce access for the northern clubs

However, one thing we repeatedly see is the big Melbourne clubs raiding the northern clubs for Vic talent that they pick up with early picks. It's why GC and GWS in particular always have 1000 early picks.

In reality, the academies just allow them somewhere to plant those picks they get for things like Lukosius just walking away without as much flight risk. Think of all the talent that's walked out of those clubs, then consider the picks in return as going toward academy players. Would be a good outcome.

Suggests us trading a pick in the 60’s for Owies. Hard to get overly excited about but he’s cheap depth and might suit our game plan

Small forward who’s already 27 wouldn’t have been a high priority with Baker still expected to come in

This might also explain why we’re seemingly not interested in Robertson although I’m not sure why we aren’t. Dev would be a better fit and is younger.

Idk why we'd even offer a 60s pick, unless we want to be nice to the Blues for some reason.
Take him as a DFA

See what I mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions were only considering moving Dev on if they could convert him for x amount of points I thought, which was equivalent to a second rounder. Way overs given what he's shown, but he is contracted.

If it is true that Dev was ready to walk last year until Fagan talked him out of it at the BnF, that little chit chat has cost him a heap of footy and might see him finish up in the AFL system completely by the end of 2025.

However, one thing we repeatedly see is the big Melbourne clubs raiding the northern clubs for Vic talent that they pick up with early picks. It's why GC and GWS in particular always have 1000 early picks.

In reality, the academies just allow them somewhere to plant those picks they get for things like Lukosius just walking away without as much flight risk. Think of all the talent that's walked out of those clubs, then consider the picks in return as going toward academy players. Would be a good outcome.
Again, im not arguing against their existence. Having access to that many kids early in the draft is whats ruining the picks

Idk why we'd even offer a 60s pick, unless we want to be nice to the Blues for some reason.
Take him as a DFA

Yep, this would be a better deal than Baker imo. I rate Owies similar enough and we would not have to part with much.

No it wouldn't.

NSW has a population of 8.5M; Qld has 5.5M - WA and SA combined have 4.8M.

Participation rates in Qld at 33% of those in WA would still provide a greater number of players.

Likewise with participation rates at just 25% of WA in NSW.
Wander around Sydney and see how many sets of of Australian Rules goalposts you see, compared to Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne.

Participation rates even lower than your numbers would not be at all surprising. Sure, not zero, and probably higher than a decade ago, but that's because the AFL puts resources into the area - including the AFL teams, not despite it.

Plus, it's also worth noting the key role that elite schools play in sports development (as much as I hate it from an educational standpoint, but that's a whole other thing) - the elite schools in WA/SA/Vic are churning out AFL players - in NSW/Qld, they're building teams for the NRL.

Am I dreaming, or did the AFL once held off on announcing last minute trades until the last moments of the trade period so they can be televised?

Since 2022 there has been an embargo on not being able to announce trades before 3pm AEDT on the final day to manufacture tension...

Thus allowing all the "drama" to be televised on prime-time when the trading ends 7:30pm AEDT on Wednesday.

hard working team player - could do far worse

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back