Review Dees V Lions: the Bad, Fugly and Abominable

Remove this Banner Ad

You honestly think we have a list good enough to compete for a flag this year? Wowee
You clearly haven't been reading my previous posts. I've said very clearly I think we will be lucky to make finals this year and next. We have a promising bunch of young players but they need more experience (plus a decent coach).

Lol. Who tf is saying we were s*house?? I thought we were pretty damn good for most of the game. We literally went up there with probably the most inexperienced line up we've had in years. Against a team red hot at home. McVee, Wakefield, Windsor, Brown, Tholstrup, Petty, Koz, Riv, JVR, Chandler, Sparrow, Woey and Turner all 24 or under. Half these guys have barely any experience. And blokes are saying we played s*house? Lol. A team with those guys just listed really should have knocked off a red hot Lions. Was a bloody good effort.
I have to say, ontop of this... that I could not have scripted the match outcome any better. Perfect result imo.

I want us now to have the off season... play these kids ^^^ for the remainder of the season. Make the list adjustments, and have a real strong Crack in this years draft.

There is no way in hell we will be doing anything well in this September. Work towards the draft and make a big splash.

I don't think it's so gloom and doom for the future.

We have Verral coming along nicely to replace Gawn (who is one in a generation, can't be replaced).

We have Petty to take over from May (who I'm worried about leaving at the end of the year)

We have no one to replace Viney and Oliver. Sparrow isn't it. We need 1 decent young inside mid - outside is covered well with the likes of Rivers.
We have a 2 speed future, the one which is slowing with age... and then another coming behind it with our 24Yr olds, and under.
-------------------

Totally agree Re the Draft. But we need more than one mid.We need a stash of young players, and maybe even a good free agent.

Nah mate. All doom and gloom. Nothing positive to take from the game lol

I think that’s a bit of a misrepresentation. Everyone is pretty happy with how our younger guys are going, the issue is the coaching (Both tactical and use of sub which are consistent problems) and to a lesser extent the senior players shit the bed a bit I thought late in the game (I'm aware you raised this earlier and on reflection I agree).

I take issue with goodwin including the young players in the after match presser .

I think it was some of the senior players that shit their pants late on . Lever with his attempted candy turn that resulted in a holding the ball ,
Lever does this way too often.
Instead of giving the first option he fainted the pass and got caught with his pants around his ankles.
Fritch burning a 2 on one in the goal square to have a shot , etc .
Fritta is all about fritta. And only fritta.

He needs to spend some weeks back with Casey, to remind him of where he was before we gave him a start.

Last edited:
You clearly haven't been reading my previous posts. I've said very clearly I think we will be lucky to make finals this year and next. We have a promising bunch of young players but they need more experience (plus a decent coach).
I think we'll be unlucky if we make finals this year.

This is the opt out season we need, to underpin our future.

Lever does this way too often.
Instead of giving the first option he fainted the pas and got caught with his pants around his ankles.

Fritta is all about fritta. And only fritta.

He needs to spend some weeks back with Casey, to remind him of where he was before we gave him a start.
I doubt Goodwin will do much unless it’s mathematically impossible for us to play finals . I think the younger players are doing as well as can be expected.

Less than a goal from rolling Lions at the Gabbatoir seems like they did something right? What did they do that you can work with? Any youth that stood up? Any mature players that led the way?

PS. Youse were robbed.

Thanks mate, now we can really celebrate this loss.

I really don't think an extra 10 minutes of Kynan Brown running around there would have turned the game. Whole team was cooked and Brissy had a run on at home.

As conservative as Goody can be

Just imagine rolling up to training and told your an emergency for Friday night . Fly up to Brisbane , sit on your arse for 3 hours , rush to get on a plane back to Melbourne , getting home who knows when , only to be told to front up to play against the Bullants . May not be how it happened but what a way to prep for a game . I guess it happens to all clubs but still , not ideal surely .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't think an extra 10 minutes of Kynan Brown running around there would have turned the game. Whole team was cooked and Brissy had a run on at home.

As conservative as Goody can be
Maybe. But he would have added fresh legs at least. We had zero run through the middle. Plus Petty was on one leg. It was fairly mid boggling why the sub wasn't used at 3qt

First to worst: Fitness no factor, so what's causing Dees' final-term fades? - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1162860

Last year, the Demons were +8.7 points in final terms and ranked No.1 in the League for fourth quarter differential. Until round nine this year, they were +10.4 points in final quarters and again ranked No.1 in the League for fourth term differential to that point.

However, in the six games since round 10, Simon Goodwin's side is suddenly -14.2 points in final quarters. They have gone from first to worst, ranked dead-last throughout that stretch for last quarter differential.
On Friday night, the Telstra Tracker shows the Demons ran a total distance of 297km. It was the most covered by any side across the entire round, and 9km more than the Lions during the game. The Telstra Tracker also shows Melbourne ran 43km at high speed, 6km more than Brisbane. It completed 272 total sprints, 50 more than Brisbane, and it ran 21 repeat sprints, four more than Brisbane.
The Demons' average speed in defence – a number closely tracked by clubs as it displays the side's work rate without the ball – was 8.3km p/h. It was significantly higher than the Lions at 7.4km p/h and the fifth best of any side across the round.
In fact, despite going 2-4 during that period and suffering significant losses to Fremantle and Collingwood worth 92 and 38 points respectively, Melbourne has covered more total distance than its opponents in four of its last six matches.
1000016041.gif

I doubt Goodwin will do much unless it’s mathematically impossible for us to play finals . I think the younger players are doing as well as can be expected.
I don't want to have a claytons finish (pardon that pun) to the season... winning a couple of non important games to elevate us to 9th spot.

Take the dip, playing kids, and send some to fix any physical issues... and send-offs, Re retiring players.

Clayton has earn't, just... a short reprieve, on the list. With his last weeks effort. Only just, & will be watched for the rest of '24, to deetermin this.

Fritta i would shop around, and in doing this, I would give Melk a further 1 YR.

TMc has almost earnt a 1Yr extension. As we wait on the development of Adams, Kentfield, et al.

First to worst: Fitness no factor, so what's causing Dees' final-term fades? - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1162860

Thing is - These are all match stats they've used. I'm not sure that really backs up them saying our fade outs are not due to fitness. What if the majority of that running is in the first 3 quarters? What if the majority of it is us chasing tail? Having a high speed in defence stat could be saying we suck on transition and our defenders are bolting back when out of position. Not the most convincing of articles tbh.

I've always been interested in average speed in attack v defence with the Tracker.

When we were good (2021 and whenever we played well over the last few years) it was always a marker that our pressure/team defence was on. From memory every final in 2021 it was the case.

When it's significantly higher than our speed in attack we played well, when the average speed in attack was significantly higher we normally played terribly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back