Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah well said.

I just thought for a player trying to break into the seniors he would offer more.
Extremely disappointing.
He wasn't the only one that had a poor game. Many more experience players were equally poor. Wingers are receivers so when your team can't win possession they become redundant. Dempsey's worst game as well is no coincidence

The conditions were horrific but Knevitt was really disappointing last night.
Wasn’t just the conditions - it was the style we adopted (or were forced into) which can be a nightmare for the wings. No speed or overlap at all and only kick on wing is to congested pack where wingers are bit players. Then they go straight back into corridor ignoring wing who may have pushed down on the other side.

Other game style the wing is important link

Dempsey didn’t get near it on the other wing (yes lost a couple of contests but otherwise didn’t really get a look in despite hard running) and neither did Blitz nor Miers when on wing. Knevitt isn’t alone.

He will be very handy with more confidence. Height will be a weapon

I’m really excited with some of the kids coming through. Knevitt is the one I’m worried about though. Just seems to be very reactive and gets lost out there.

Compare that to the likes of Humphries / Clark / Bruhn or even Clohesy …… they have a bit more composure or polish. Clohesy more a grunt type player but at least it’s a point of difference. Not sure what Knevitt has other than a few extra cm in height. Find some harder attack on the footy - or be more influential in the air with his supposed marking skills. If neither of those then I’m not sure what he brings.

List clogger as of now though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It is more than a few cm…about 10 which is a lot going for you when you can run like he can

Harrison jones at 25 is just coming into his own as a tall winger (few cm taller than Mitch).

The alternatives on our wing have been blitz and 2E most of the year - I would persist with mitch but I admit he will be squeezed out I assume this year

Wing was a graveyard yesterday for everyone

It is more than a few cm…about 10 which is a lot going for you when you can run like he can

Harrison jones at 25 is just coming into his own as a tall winger (few cm taller than Mitch).

The alternatives on our wing have been blitz and 2E most of the year - I would persist with mitch but I admit he will be squeezed out I assume this year

Wing was a graveyard yesterday for everyone

Jones is only 23 and played as a key forward until recently. He's out of contract and I'd have a crack at him. Looks a player to me.

Just looked at the ladder.

The only two teams I am really concerned about (well make it 3) are the Swannies IF they are on.
Lions who are now redhot.
GWS who play us well, especially bloody Greene.
So we are not out of it IMO.

On our day we can beat the lot.
BUT we need selections right and I think conditions right for us.

Book the Doggies in for a Prelim.
Haven't seen us get a lesson like that at home in decades.
They have a great spine with 3 really nice Talls and 2 Smalls in the front arc.
Bont Libba AT Richards English in the guts.
Now with Lobb & Jones(who was missing) as their 2 big backs.
They are better than most pundits think.
As for our boys.
We are about where we should be.
A 5th - 8th side. Had us 7/8 prior the first game.
Not bad for a side transitioning.
I like we have got here with adding/more games into the likes of.
Tanner Bruhn, The Good Ollie, Clark, Humphries, Conway, Mannagh, Mullin, Neale even Knevitt & Ted of late.
Which will hold us in good stead going forward.
We have a decent run to finish off the year.
With wins over Roos Crows Eagles should see us end up playing a finals game.
Anyways don't drop ya heads fellas as we got beaten by a better outfit last night.
Cheers!
Dogs have a tremendous amount of talent. It's actually bizarre that a team with such an immense amount of individual talent is sitting outside the 8. They have under-performed to quite an astounding degree for years, which is why their long-term coaching should be questioned. There are people booking them in for a prelim or even grand final based on that effort, but they still need to actually qualify for finals, and based on their whole year and years preceding, being able to achieve the consistency to even get there is dubious.

But the talent was unquestionably on show against us. It looked every bit of a team of quality AFL players dominating a team comprised of over-the-hill champs with some VFL players sprinkled on top. Their taller players killed us. We went in smaller, which is understandable in the rain, but ultimately the conditions didn't seem to affect their talls too much and they exploited a lot of mis-matches in height up forward, down back and around the ground.

It's situations like these where I wonder if people realise what we're losing when Hawkins does hang up the boots for good, and also the potential holes we're opening up by playing SDK in the ruck without having an adequate replacement in the back half. Kolo is largely back to his woeful self. So many times he lost his player or made poor decisions, or got badly exploited for speed. I wouldn't be too perturbed if we shipped him off to GC at the end of the year.

No more of Parfitt either. We've seen enough and he's been given enough chances to prove the doubters wrong, and all he's done is make them seem more right. When we need him to stand up and elevate his game, he just fumbles more and more. Better off playing the kids or one of the more mature VFL players. They might give us about the same as Parfitt, but we've already seen what he can do and he's been judged; now it's time for some others to get that shot so we can at least see where they are.

Just looked at the ladder.

The only two teams I am really concerned about (well make it 3) are the Swannies IF they are on.
Lions who are now redhot.
GWS who play us well, especially bloody Greene.
So we are not out of it IMO.

On our day we can beat the lot.
BUT we need selections right and I think conditions right for us.
We would need to have some miracle turnaround to occur for us to make a GF this year.

There have been too many games where sides have just run all over us for any single one to be considered an aberration. It's not just a few things to tweak; there are some very fundamental and profound areas of weakness all around, and it's looking unlikely we have the personnel to fix them this season.

I personally think we need that player like McRae in our side. Like calder_daddy said we dont have that player can regularly find the ball 30 plus...

Then are we sure that Macrae is that player?

He's played 16 games this year (including 2 as the starting sub, both against us :think:) Across the season he's averaging less than 19 disposals this season, had 30+ disposals once, only one other game of 25 disposals and in 6 of his full games he's had less than 20 disposals

He's clearly fallen out of favour as a key component in the Bulldogs midfield and that's obviously a contributing in his decreased output this season, - but the question is why has he fallen out of favour and is he still capable of regularly playing games of 30+ disposals or is that a factor in his shift away from that core midfield group?
It’s not just about him getting 30
He can find it 25 times for all I care
He gets clearances, we need that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would need to have some miracle turnaround to occur for us to make a GF this year.

There have been too many games where sides have just run all over us for any single one to be considered an aberration. It's not just a few things to tweak; there are some very fundamental and profound areas of weakness all around, and it's looking unlikely we have the personnel to fix them this season.
Can’t win the flag with our mids in comparison to the best midfield teams. They have all cleaned us up.

Yeah and I don't disagree BB. But we are still in it.
Do I think we will win?
Nope but Bradbury didn't think so did he?

My main issue is to get there, be as competitive as possible, get some finals into the kids.
Beyond that is a bonus.

We have some ripper kids coming through and they need to feel the finals heat.

I'm glad you are heartened by that. All I know is what we see, and can only hope last night was truly an aberration, or that we were viral or something, but imho, credit where. credit is due- we were humbled by a brilliant and accomplished team with strengths all over the ground, and in areas we have weaknesses.
Yet they are 9th on the ladder. Makeyouthink eh?

Without having to sift through pages to find it, did anyone watch Scott’s presser post game?
What was said?

Basically we had a bad night. Lots of our players were off. Dogs adapted to the conditions better which was disappointing. Possible to call it an aberration and move on but if you have regular nights like that it means you're just a bad team which he doesn't think we are.

He didn't say anything particularly out there. I think he knows we can't really go up against a gun contested team in conditions like that and think we're going to come out on top.

You're right. All things being equal, we shouldn't be a premiership side this year.

It's an indictment on the competition that we're even a contender...but it's why we've got no real reason to be angry IMO.

Look at our side for the majority of the year:

Dempsey, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, SDK, Neale, Henry, & Conway have all shown they'll likely be good to very good AFL players in time - some of them already are - but they're not consistent right now at this point in their development.

Dangerfield, Touhy, Duncan, & Hawkins are the opposite, but have the same problem.

Champions the lot of them, but they can't be consistently relied on to carry the side either.

Miers, Close, Stengle, Bowes, Jenry, Atkins, Mannagh, & Kolodjashnij is where we slip up.

They're good players, some of them very good, but they're not the key building blocks who bring you to premierships by themselves.

If you're going by age profile, these are the players who should be carrying us, and we just don't have enough quality in that bracket. It happens.

TLDR: We're a side in transition. We're not squandering a premiership list, or displaying negligence in what we're doing.

We're just in one of those inbetween years, and that's perfectly fine IMO.

If people can accept that, then you'll enjoy this year for what it is: A season of watching the kids grow and take over, and saying farewell to some champions.

Only those who expect the GFC to be the dominant force year in, year out, are going to be disappointed in years like this.

You're right. All things being equal, we shouldn't be a premiership side this year.

It's an indictment on the competition that we're even a contender...but it's why we've got no real reason to be angry IMO.

Look at our side for the majority of the year:

Dempsey, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, SDK, Neale, Henry, & Conway have all shown they'll likely be good to very good AFL players in time - some of them already are - but they're not consistent right now at this point in their development.

Dangerfield, Touhy, Duncan, & Hawkins are the opposite, but have the same problem.

Champions the lot of them, but they can't be consistently relied on to carry the side either.

Miers, Close, Stengle, Bowes, Jenry, Atkins, & Kolodjashnij is where we slip up.

They're good players, some of them very good, but they're not the key building blocks who bring you to premierships by themselves.

TLDR: We're a side in transition. We're not squandering a premiership list, or displaying negligence in what we're doing.

We're just in one of those inbetween years, and that's perfectly fine IMO.

If people can accept that, then you'll enjoy this year for what it is: A season of watching the kids grow and take over, and saying farewell to some champions.

Only those who expect the GFC to be the dominant force year in, year out, are going to be disappointed in years like this.
Good post. And I think there is an imminent line through (or in the Doggies case threw) a few of our gems. I can't see Hawk unless as said previously plonk him in the goal square vs WCE and do Pagan's Paddock. Tououuohy done. Duncan?

You get the point and most of us know the point. But clearly we need some in and unders and a good bloody ruck who can get on the park.

And I do wonder sometimes how long CS has to go? Maybe we have a Kingy as the next coach?

Basically we had a bad night. Lots of our players were off. Dogs adapted to the conditions better which was disappointing. Possible to call it an aberration and move on but if you have regular nights like that it means you're just a bad team which he doesn't think we are.

He didn't say anything particularly out there. I think he knows we can't really go up against a gun contested team in conditions like that and think we're going to come out on top.
Honest and truth without cryptic messages. I like it

Ty

And if we don't then I'm okay with that. So long as we aren't going back to yesterday's men and we're looking to the now and the future.

So none of Stanley, Bews, Parfitt, MOC.

Finals experience for a lot of our 18-23yo will be beneficial in the long run.

And if we don't then I'm okay with that. So long as we aren't going back to yesterday's men and we're looking to the now and the future.

So none of Stanley, Bews, Parfitt, MOC.

Finals experience for a lot of our 18-23yo will be beneficial in the long run.
The first 3 listed will be gone, and I could see MOC potentially going back to Ireland too, even with his contract.

More gut feel than anything, but I've always felt he would, and if he's told that he's likely surplus to requirements at his exit meeting then that could sway his thinking in that direction.

Touhy & Hawk are likely going too, Rohan & Duncan less likely, but still a possibility.

Going to need to get busy this off-season. One would think we've got more than one iron in the fire with Smith, but who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back