Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, well, well, a draw. Not the result I hoped for at all. Certainly one of them matches where there's been some stellar performances & then some somewhat the reverse. Felt like just a few who carried us tonight whilst many well down.

The Good:

- Fogarty was huge, has had a great couple weeks now. Hopefully we can start seeing this regularly.
  • Rankine is so electric, just has hurt factor about him. Got us back going after a poor start to the 4th quarter or else we lose for sure.
  • Sholl has no put together a very strong 3 weeks. I was one of his earliest critics when others still thought he was amazing. I've since been one of the people drifting back to thinking maybe there's something to work with. Hopefully he can keep putting in performances like he has been. Jury will remain out for a while but regardless a very strong performance.
  • Dawson was excellent mostly, like Rankine really lifted to get us back into it in the 4th.
  • Keays was pretty good, less opportunity in his role but his pressure helped us get a goal or two which we otherwise wouldn't have had.
  • Soligo was good, not his best match but decent enough.
  • Himmelberg was pretty good, Andrews is a damn good defender, arguably the best KPD at present but Berg did ok.

Bad:

• Keane I thought just had a bad night, nothing much seemed to go right tonight. Has been huge for us this year so it is what it is, hopefully can get back into form next week.
  • Smith just doesn't have it anymore, perplexing decision to bring him back. Ball use was pretty poor, defensive work was worse.
  • Hinge like most of our defenders just didn't seem to be in the right spots or as effective tonight.
  • Tex you could just see was frustrated and having a bad night, Payne had him covered very effectively for most of the night. Tex bobbed up with a couple goals but got outmarked all night & couldn't get the ball to ground which really hurt.
  • Butts probably did ok technically if you look how many goals his opponent kicked but he turned it over a couple times again which was costly. Unfortunately wasn't offset with much the other way.
  • Curtin obviously looked out of his depth tonight, that's ok, he's a 2nd gamer and more of a KPD size so we need to manage our expectations. What I'm about to write about however is the more disappointing part of the Curtin game.
  • Umpires to me it felt horribly inconsistent tonight & like we were on the wrong side of it most of the night. Yes we ended up with more free kicks in total but that state can be misleading. To me this felt one of them nights. Maybe it's just the occasion of needing a win so I rode it harder, if I can stomach a rewatch maybe I'll feel differently.

Ugly:

Matthew Nicks deserves this one all on his own tonight in my opinion.

I thought he had a horror show & was worst on from the outset. From bringing Smith off sub after a sub par performance, to starting Nank as the sub, to subbing off Curtin at half time. As if subbing a 2nd gamer off at half time was bad enough, then we of course got an injury straight after. I just don't think its acceptable to panic a 2nd game player off at half time, we need a coach who says to the young kid it's been a tough start but I'm backing you in to go out there and win some contests. You know, instill confidence and belief into his young player, not probably smash his confidence to pieces effectively saying you're having a shocker, I've got no trust in you.

I also found it particular poor we just let Brisbane do their kicking game for basically 3.5 quarters, never making much meaningful attempt to shut it down and force them to do what they didn't want to do. Then you come to the D50 exits with the same predictable stuff (though it worked a little better tonight its still predictable, we didn't get pinned in as badly this time but its still meh) & on the flipside Brisbanes D50 exits were a breeze compared to ours. These things are becoming a constant, so it's not just an off night.

Special meniton to Worrell injury as ugly, otherwise it's all our coach tonight for me.

All in all bit disappointing, star performances by a few carried us but it just felt like we never fully got going. Season is most likely cooked but there is still things to take from the season. If we can get Fogarty back in form & firing that would certainly be a big deal for our longer term prospects as he's looked a mile off it until the last couple weeks.

Last edited:
Who cares what it was designed for? It's a tool to try and win games, you can use it however helps the team the most. Absolutely if you use it early and then get injuries you could cost the team, it's a risky move, but it's not a bad idea just because it's a risk.

Saying it's only for injuries is just wrong, people use it to inject extra run in the game all the time. Geelong subbed out their ruckman early in the game on Friday night for example because he was having a s**t game.

You do realise this was a pre planned sub right? The choice of Nankervis just like Smith the week before meant Nicks had every intention of subbing Curtin off. It had nothing to do with the game.

Geelong were getting outright flogged when they made that sub and did it to get more run on the ground. He had to role the dice. Nicks would have just flooded the back line.

He was also playing on Ah Chee, who was their most dangerous forward (after Cameron) at the time. They could've put him on second gamer Logan Morris, or 2nd year player Lohmann?
I have no issue with him playing on Ah Chee to give him exposure & get a look how he goes but yep you could make the switch.

We played so poorly today with many players being poor and yet still drew the game. It’s mind boggling.

Surely it’s time to try Dowling and Taylor. I’m sick of Nicks not giving them a go, yet playing players that don’t offer any attacking threat. I don’t want to see Murphy next week, I’d rather see Dowling on a wing and Taylor up forward. McHenry and Murphy offer nothing up forward and very rarely kick a goal.
I have had enough of Jones as well, for a wingman, he’s awful who doesn’t gives much.
I can handle players like Nank, Curtin and Cook playing average as they have only played a handful of games.
Jones, McHenry and Murphy have played enough to have confidence in them to do well on the field, unfortunately they give us none.
If Nicks can’t see this from players he sees everyday, there’s not much hope for him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Season on a knife edge, finals mathematically possible, Murphy is a certainty. Might mean Ned makes way though, so a nil all draw.

I think he will drop Cook. Ned is an important boundary umpire for us.....sorry important shape running player for us where touching the ball is an optional extra and doing anything meaningful with it is not essential.

Traeding water moving Laird back, should trade for whatever upgrade we can get on our first or second rounder. Could him and a second get a first from a top 6 side? We pay the bulk of his salary and they get midfield depth for their flag push.
I can't see why any other club would want him.

Not as a mid at least.

Only way to trade him is for a salary dump.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We were lucky to get that close!

Good
Scrambling our way back.
Fog looking strong.
Worrell until ....
Solid games from Sholl and Himmelberg.

Bad
Not working out how to deal with the sticky fingered tall Brisbane defenders.
Always, always the inconsistent umpiring.
Cannot understand why Nankervis wasn't in the 22.
Not having an extra time rule in AFL

Ugly
Big Footy people who only see the negative
That Big Footy contributor who made defamatory statements about a SA TV Personality - thankfully now deleted

Possibly. Brisbane's forwards under 190cm were clearly causing issues for our defense who are mostly 190cm plus. Nank is 190cm but he certainly can play smaller.

I think Nicks was trying to address this issue. If he didn't and Ah Chee, Cameron etc kicked on in the 3rd then people on here would be crucifying Nicks for not subbing a taller player earlier.

Ummm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but.....

You do realise who was responsible for having too tall a backline?

So Nicks was trying to address the issue he made with his poor selections and player roles.

And people like your good self a patting him on the back "Jolly good show subbing a guy off at half time"

It's like everyone thinks Nicks should have foreseen Worralls wrist getting snapped. Our tall defense was having issues with Brisbane's smalls so they subbed Curtain for Nank don't have a problem with this, injury can't be predicted

Nothing to do with the injury, it was Nicks stupid selections/matchups in the first place.

Nicks should have foreseen the backline HE selected was wrong, this was a (another) rookie mistake.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he will drop Cook. Ned is an important boundary umpire for us.....sorry important shape running player for us where touching the ball is an optional extra and doing anything meaningful with it is not essential.

I'm not so sure, if Nicks thought the structure works with both, Murphy would already be in. But you're right, Cook is likely at risk this week.

Last edited:
You do realise this was a pre planned sub right? The choice of Nankervis just like Smith the week before meant Nicks had every intention of subbing Curtin off. It had nothing to do with the game.

Geelong were getting outright flogged when they made that sub and did it to get more run on the ground. He had to role the dice. Nicks would have just flooded the back line.
You think it was pre-planned to bring Curtin off at half time? I very strongly disagree. I think Nicks was reacting to the fact that Curtin was completely untenable defensively in the first half. If he was playing well he'd certainly have stayed on.

The more flexible option that I would have preferred would be to try re-shuffling our defensive options a bit and give Curtin 10-15 mins up the ground to see how he went and then sub Curtin off for Nank closer to 3/4 time if it wasn't working out, but I think it was a reactive sub for sure and an understandable one given how the game was going.

Anyway I was responding to you saying that the sub 'is for injuries' which is obviously not true as you've just acknowledged. It's for whatever the coach decides to use it on, and most subs are tactical subs.

At least we didn't role over

O'Brien was woeful, again
Crouch and Smith not much better
Laird thinking he is the best kick in the team

How the heck does nank not start

Nor should we have rolled over. We played a team decimated by injury coming off a game last week where they played with 20 players and we were at home.

Tex subbed with Curtin going forward would have been a good move, but also a very brave one. Even if it worked, he'd get panned and Tex would have been ropeable.

As there was no need to sub Curtin at the time he should have waited until around red time of 3 quarter time to make put on the freshest legs he could. Could have easily and should have subbed out Sholl or McHenry had no injuries occurred at that point of the game. It would have given him a better idea as to how the game was playing out.

I can't see why any other club would want him.

Not as a mid at least.

Only way to trade him is for a salary dump.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I picked a top 6 finisher thinking they might want a backup mid for little salary cap and a few spots downgrade from later first to second. Agree that no decent side would plan to have him as a first choice mid.

Good:

Fog, outstanding, I’ve been criticising him for not delivering on potential but today was exactly what we need from him.
Dawson, Soligo and Rankine were their usual excellent selves.
I’ve gotta say, Keays is proving me wrong. Seems to have learnt to play within his limitations and has been really valuable.

Bad:

Curtin, need to keep backing him in but that was hard to watch.
Smith: Guy is cooked, doesn’t want to take the hits anymore, and his leg just doesn’t have the penetration anymore. We are far better off putting the ball in Max’s hands.
ROB: ends up being a statistically good game, but he can’t catch a cold right now and it’s hurting our game.
Hinge: are teams putting more time into him or is he just out of from?

Ugly:

Worrell: just as things have clicked for him, that happens. Really disappointing for him.

It's McHenry who is tiresome.
Tiresomely ineffective.

Look closely at McHenry after he's marked and lining up for goal from not-far out.
I saw fear, not determination, and didn't think for a moment he'd kick that goal.

The clincher for me was with around 3 and a half minutes to play in the 3rd quarter.
The heat is on and Ned takes possession I50.
Does he fire out a quick handball even to move the ball forward? NO. Just showed more fear, indecision, clueless, hung on to the ball, tackled/htb ==> turnover.
He has NO composure or creative ability under pressure.
I praised McHenry to the hilt for his good work in creating the Tex goal, last week.

Nankervis should have started ahead of McHenry tonight, McHenry sub. Smith should not have played.
The blame is on Nicks who is the main reason we drew tonight, aided and abetted by his Golden try-hard-Boy, McHenry and his cooked Leader, Smith.
Yeah. McHenry could have given quick hands to Rash but instead fumbled and panicked and got caught Htb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back