Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Matt Crouch? I dont know, Racheles goal from 50, good stuff. I dont care about fightbacks when they spend 3 quarters playing the most inept football when everyone knows how good we play with dare and stop kicking long down the line close to the boundary in the flipping wet protecting the stupid defence from the scary wet ball. If we have the ball up forward in the soaking wet ground its much easier on the defence I would have thought. Ridiculous gameplan.

Bad: The trash forward 50 entries, the trash decision to have Soligo as sub, the trash decision to play Gollant and Burgess on a night where it was pouring with rain. Luke Pedlars 8 touches are way better than Lairds 30.

Ugly: Starting against the Gold Coast and GWS in the last 2 years in horrendous conditions.

Probably not wise to use someone who needs match fitness then is it?
(Assuming that’s the reason and if not then the sub selection is even worse)
Scott does it regularly at the Cats & reckon he is one of the best at managing players loads with selections.

brodie Smith had his customary horror turnover kick at the wrong moment in a game. I would have thought that was something he could have ironed out over the course of his career and maybe im nitpicking but I would have got rid of him long ago just because of that as he's done it his whole career
I get worried any time he tries anything that isn't just a long kick to the contest. He's lost a lot of accuracy on anything he tries by foot or hand that's a short pass.

jake Soligo reference at the 2.52 mark should put to bed the speculation re his readiness to play a full game.

No it doesn’t, listen again.

He was off his ankle for 3-4 weeks even though he was back running after 2, so Burns telling a porkie there. He never said he couldn’t run out a game, except that the other guys were cherry ripe having played more footy.

So we’ve added 1 and a half qtrs to his 30 mins played, that’s surely going to make him match fit now and alleviate that concern. Muppets

No it doesn’t, listen again.

He was off his ankle for 3-4 weeks even though he was back running after 2, so Burns telling a porkie there. He never said he couldn’t run out a game, except that the other guys were cherry ripe having played more footy.

So we’ve added 1 and a half qtrs to his 30 mins played, that’s surely going to make him match fit now and alleviate that concern. Muppets
He said Soligo only played 30 minutes in the preseason, what does that tell you whether he can run out a game?? And said Soligo is in the best 22 (no surprise there) so he wouldn't have been the sub if he was fully fit, 1.5 quarter in a proper season is like 4 quarters in a preseason game ;)

He’s at least got runs on the board.
Nicks is still in nappys
But in the past we have been poor at managing player loads & using sub smartly... & the one time we do to bring back an underdone player, many on this board lose their heads... & carry on like they know better than Burgess.

Does he use it with players returning from injury lacking match fitness or does he use it to manage his fit players and give them a little break?
Both.

& he is the best in the AFL at it.

Allows him to develop depth & keep players fresh.

When a player he wants to manage as a sub has to come on earlier than hoped because of injury, he usually rests them the following week.

I can't believe more clubs haven't worked this out.

He said Soligo only played 30 minutes in the preseason, what does that tell you?? And said Soligo is in the best 22 (no surprise there) so he wouldn't have been the sub if he was fully fit.
So now he’s played 75 minutes over the preseason, couldn’t possibly be match fit so will have to miss the Geelong game. If that was there concern he should have played a full game in the SANFL.

And was it only 30 mins, I thought he played a half of the West Coast game? He did bullshit about how many weeks Soligo couldn’t run so I have my doubts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both.

& he is the best in the AFL at it.

Allows him to develop depth & keep players fresh.

When a player he wants to manage as a sub has to come on earlier than hoped because of injury, he usually rests them the following week.

I can't believe more clubs haven't worked this out.
Does he really? I can’t recall him bringing in players who aren’t match fit and making them sub, got any examples?

Does he really? I can’t recall him bringing in players who aren’t match fit and making them sub, got any examples?
Feel free to go back & study the Cats in/outs & sub use over the past few years.

You will really learn something & will be genuinely surprised.

But in the past we have been poor at managing player loads & using sub smartly... & the one time we do to bring back an underdone player, many on this board lose their heads... & carry on like they know better than Burgess.
I still don’t think using an underdone sub is the way to go. We’ve just proved either nicks couldn’t bring him on earlier due to this or he didn’t want to in which case shows poor judgment anyway given the game conditions.

I still don’t think using an underdone sub is the way to go. We’ve just proved either nicks couldn’t bring him on earlier due to this or he didn’t want to in which case shows poor judgment anyway given the game conditions.
Soligo could have played the full game but would have needed more rotations off.

Just like a 1st year player.

Have already explained this, but I don't know why neither you & GK are just ignoring it.

So now he’s played 75 minutes over the preseason, couldn’t possibly be match fit so will have to miss the Geelong game. If that was there concern he should have played a full game in the SANFL.

And was it only 30 mins, I thought he played a half of the West Coast game? He did bullshit about how many weeks Soligo couldn’t run so I have my doubts.
Equivalent to a full preseason game and 30 minutes so had Soligo played that many minutes in the preseason then he would have started against GCS in the starting 18. Full preseason SANFL game isn't worth 1.5 quarters of proper AFL game, pointless for Soligo's development who is clearly in our best 18.

If the reason is he didn't play much pre season match time, how much did Wayne Milera play again?

Soligo could have played the full game but would have needed more rotations off.

Just like a 1st year player.

Have already explained this, but I don't know why neither you & GK are just ignoring it.
What? You’ve just ignored my post that you just quoted.
I literally just posted he was hamstrung by having an underdone player as a sub (as you said they would have been compromised by bringing him on early due to having to rotate more)
I didn’t say he couldn’t play the whole game.

What? You’ve just ignored my post that you just quoted.
I literally just posted he was hamstrung by having an underdone player as a sub (as you said they would have been compromised by bringing him on early due to having to rotate more)
Imo, he should have brought on Soligo at half time... so you would prefer 2 quarters of McHenry instead of 1.5 quarters of Soligo?

BTW, I'm sure Soligo was capable of playing 2 quarters & more if needed.

Imo, he should have brought on Soligo at half time... so you would prefer 2 quarters of McHenry instead of 1.5 quarters of Soligo?

BTW, I'm sure Soligo was capable of playing 2 quarters & more if needed.
Thats my point he either didn’t bring him on earlier as he knew he couldn’t run out the game or he just misread the game.
Picking an underdone player compromises the strategy.
Where did i say anything about McHenry, you’re having a shocker.

For all the hullabaloo about Soligo as sub, most are missing the bigger issue that we went in too tall for wet conditions.

Gollant should have missed for a small.
Going small would have made no difference.

We had like 5 smaller guys at the fall of the ball most times inside 50, and they all did **** all

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back