Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn’t make sense then to not use him earlier then in a wet game does it) what a waste using his energy after the game rather than in it.
Gotta say, I agree.
Wet game = don't need talls.

They could have played Soligo from the start of the game (Gollant or Burgess omitted) and used McHenry as the sub if/when Soligo ran out of puff, or was deemed to have done his job.
McHenry has done well as sub before.
Soligo would have had more impact than Gollant/Burgess and it might have resulted in having more than one goal kicked to half-time. Subbing him on after they were 5 goals down looks like hope, a hail-Mary, rather than a plan.

I'm not usually fond of sliding-doors hypotheticals (because Soligo was sub, came on later, and we lost).
Nothing can be done about that.

Let's hope that Nicks learns from that; but, I doubt he will.

So Malcolm Rosas gets suspended for headbutting Michalanney, which resulted in the umps giving Matt Rowell a 50m penalty and easy goal. Is that right?

So Malcolm Rosas gets suspended for headbutting Michalanney, which resulted in the umps giving Matt Rowell a 50m penalty and easy goal. Is that right?

From the vision above, looks to be a separate incident.

Headbutts Max, then takes a dive when Max retaliates.

Good to see the flogness of their coach rubbing off on his players.

Well Burgess was reportedly on 500k in 2015 at Port then subsequently had stints at Arsenal and Liverpool ( or did Liverpool come earlier ?)

Then went to Melbourne and is considered a key , if not the off field key to their premiership success

So taking into account 7-8 years of inflation and also the experience ( premier league ) and success post Port Adelaide including a key plank of premiership you’d imagine he’s on a pretty penny

Nicks would likely be in the lower bracket of coaches , incentivised you’d hope re finals ; hasn’t made finals etc

Rough guess would be burgess 800k PA and Nicks $650k + incentives

In my opinion Burgess loves winning , earning big money , his kids and women ( been married 3x ? Might be 2 )

You reckon this is unlikely ? Would love to know your thoughts

No
The AFL soft cap is $7.3 million.

Paying one person who's not on our coaching staff more than 10% of the cap for the entire football department sound like madness to me

I was very lucky that I had a dinner on Sat night and couldn't watch the game.
Yep. First three quarters and a half were awful.
Also smart not to watch the replay; would have been masochistic, which I was because I sat through the whole, miserable farce.
Once again we also had the summer memory erasure procedure. Every single year we forget that some players just don't have it when it comes to a competitive game. We ignore that we learnt that the previous year, watch them look amazing at training and then pick them first the first game or two. By round 4 we realise they can't handle physical pressure and drop them. Season ends, we erase our memory, watch preseason and pick them again. Year after year. The same stupid mistakes.
Sholl, definitely.

Murphy doesn't mind a contested scrap but his effectiveness is doubtful, to say the least.
Flops like a fish on sand, but more dramatically. At least a fish knows when it's well out of its depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the vision above, looks to be a separate incident.

Headbutts Max, then takes a dive when Max retaliates.

Good to see the flogness of their coach rubbing off on his players.

Max nedds to learn the jumper punch. Get it in before the gc flog does his head butt.

This incident was during a boundary throw-in.

You're saying the remonstration continued on?

If so, that is pretty poor discipline.
Head butting is a low act to begin with, umpire should have paid the actual free there instead of then punishing the headbutted player for a justified retaliation. That’s a fairly crucial umpiring mistake when the margin is 6 points.

Max is half the player that Ben Hart was at the same age.

'Half' is probably an exaggeration. I'd be interested to see the comparison. Max is tracking beautifully.

So I got interested enough and did the comparison.

At the same age Max looks a tad better than half as good as Ben, in fact...

Different times of course but I'm changing my mind on whether Max is Ben Hart mk2, and nay, he's actually a smidge better :)

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 2.08.37 PM.png

Good to see the flogness of their coach rubbing off on his players
INEVITABLE to see the flogness ...etc above.

Next will come the late hits (all "while going for the ball", of course :rolleyes: :grin:), holding players down illegally in marking packs on the Umpire's blindside, and every other grubby thing he taught Richmond.

Sub or not the following is my summary of our first choice midfield vs GCS for possessions and clearances. Hint: we got towelled up.
Dawson vs Anderson☑️
Laird vs Rowell☑️
Crouch vs Miller☑️
ROB☑️ vs Witts

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back