Review Good vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the kind of win a young group can draw upon going forward.

It builds faith. Faith that even three goals down with 5 minutes to go, you can still win.

Great teams believe they can win, this group have that. Many mocked Sloane when he said we could play Finals this year. That mentality creates success.

Last night the players turned that belief into concrete evidence it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What we're all probably losing sight of in the debate about the non-decision is just how bloody well he did to keep the ball alive.

That play was symbolic of him as a player in many respects - just sheer will and determination. He's an absolute ripper.
I haven’t seen much of Murray other than a few AFL games that he’s played so far. What I’ve seen so far, I’m mightily impressed with his marking and general efforts. He’s still rough around the edges, but still has a lot of upside, love him already!

That goal Fogarty kicked from 50, to put us within a kick... was just, in a word, immense.

You can’t teach someone how to kick like that. You can’t teach someone how to handle pressure like that.

Anybody questioning whether we should stick with him needs their head read.

Also - shock horror, we can actually survive without Frampton and Himmelberg. In fact, we can beat an undefeated team on top of the ladder, without Frampton or Himmelberg.

Are you getting it yet, selectors? You’re only three months behind the rest of us.
Probably heretical but even Talia and Lynch and Crouch are becoming redundant

When we have a 2 KPD structure down back we leave Doedee free - it doesnt need to be Talia as 1 of the 2

Not dismissing the service and leadership Talia brings but if we can make coin off of his reputation then we should

I do hope we learn from that last centre bounce though.

I mean we got lucky, but it shouldn't have been that easy
And all the other ones!

Amazing win really given that they largely waltzed around us as though we didn't exist at so many stoppages

We’ve had 2 wins this year that will go down in the history books as iconic wins. Port haven’t had any this year or last from what I can remember.
full

I hesitate to criticise after such a good win, but seek opinions on the Brown-Kossie incident. I don't reckon that goal should have happened. Brown had him on the boundary line but only pushed him softly in the side and Kossie ran away and kicked the goal: Brown was never going to catch him., obviously. However, why on earth didn't he shove him in the side with a lot more force over the boundary line?
Very harsh. Brown was done for pace before kossie fumbled the ball. Then the ball ricocheted off browns leg straight up into his hands and he was away. All happened pretty fast and you could argue brown goes for the body as the ball is fumbled, but then the ball is loose on the inside.

Brown's opponents had little to no impact on the game.

The Mackay selection was the wrong call and I stand by that, but that play in the last quarter where he was 1 on 3 against (I think) Petracca, Oliver & Neal-Bullen, and managed to firstly stop the ball and then bring down the Melbourne player in a tackle and cause a turnover, is one of the best defensive plays I can remember watching a Crows player perform. That was a certain goal if that ball got through, and the type of goal we’ve conceded with depressing regularity over the years. So credit where it’s due, David.

That is the kind of win a young group can draw upon going forward.

It builds faith. Faith that even three goals down with 5 minutes to go, you can still win.

Great teams believe they can win, this group have that. Many mocked Sloane when he said we could play Finals this year. That mentality creates success.

Last night the players turned that belief into concrete evidence it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
And following on from your comment, a win against a top side is just about the best tonic you can have in a rebuilding team.

A lot of us are focusing only on the last few minutes of the game (fair enough though). I was already impressed by the end of the 1st quarter, where the Dees got out to a quick 5-2 goal lead. It looked then we were possibly facing a titanic blowout. Then we wrestled back some control and arm-wrestled them for pretty much the entire remaining 3 quarters.

A gem finish brought about by a FULL 4-quarter effort!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very harsh. Brown was done for pace before kossie fumbled the ball. Then the ball ricocheted off browns leg straight up into his hands and he was away. All happened pretty fast and you could argue brown goes for the body as the ball is fumbled, but then the ball is loose on the inside.

Brown's opponents had little to no impact on the game.
It was Murray's inability to usher the ball over the boundary that cost us there

Brought it back inboard, opened it up for the Demons

To be honest it's great that for once a really dodgy umpiring decision in the final seconds helped us win.

The salt is incredible and I'm here for it

That was a totally horrific call, but I doubt it's even a 50% conversion rate from there. Lucky it didn't deviate 2 feet left, would have been a penalised rushed behind for sure.

The Mackay selection was the wrong call and I stand by that, but that play in the last quarter where he was 1 on 3 against (I think) Petracca, Oliver & Neal-Bullen, and managed to firstly stop the ball and then bring down the Melbourne player in a tackle and cause a turnover, is one of the best defensive plays I can remember watching a Crows player perform. That was a certain goal if that ball got through, and the type of goal we’ve conceded with depressing regularity over the years. So credit where it’s due, David.
He's always had a good sense of when the selection or contract noose is tightening

Hamill's 30/best player effort was always going to trigger a D Mac masterclass

Does Oliver get 10 coaches votes despite our win? Was immense

205 supercoach points. I don't play supercoach but is that a record?

Our mids actually did well to get us enough supply overall given the level of control Melbourne had at times

He was comfortably the standout player of the game. Has to get 10.

In the end, hard to fathom, but we were just more efficient than the top team. Dees only have themselves to blame. Not the umpires.
Having watched most of the dogs saints game after on tv, the dogs look so far ahead of just about any other side. That melbourne were still above them on the ladder and we beat them is a great confidence booster for the entire club

The only negative I took from that came was ROB.

Jesus he looks like he is literally moving in treacle at times - never appreciated quite how slow his movements were until now.

Not sure he will be leading us to a flag, but he is fine for the next 4-5 years.
I can’t understand why he is not rested for a couple.

We are only 1 win from the top 8 now. We have beaten two top 8 teams, could we? Playing like that last night we can win another 8 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back