Hawks chasing Rance/Gibson/Lake

Remove this Banner Ad

let me figure out whether that makes any sense at all and I'll come back to ya.:confused:.......so thats a proven draftee (errrr, isn't that an oximoron?) vs a speculative 20yo that has broken into senior ranks and finds it avg 14 times a game....you say it out aloud a few times and throw a glass of cold water over your head and come back to correct yourself later,

cheers:thumbsu:

I think he means in a trade for a proven player, like Lake :eek: Rance is not worth pick 9, he can't kick and can't fill our needs next year. 14 touches in Richmonds defence isn't that impressive when you take Joel Bowden's spot. Shoenemaker will be ahead of him in 12 months, will be bigger with better skills.

your argument is fundamentally flawed.

you are equating a position in richmond's best 22 with "breaking into senior ranks".

your comment is fundamentally flawed as it is little more than opinion as to whether he deserved a spot or was gifted one..is that a boofheaded broadside at any member of the side or does it consider how they actually performed.:confused:..I detailed his respectable contribution whilst in seniors, take that at face value...Thorp had a senior game and had 2 possessions, what do I make of that....get with the program partner...put some substance to your reasoning, hot air wont cut it:thumbsdown:

your comment is fundamentally flawed as it is little more than opinion as to whether he deserved a spot or was gifted one..is that a boofheaded broadside at any member of the side or does it consider how they actually performed.:confused:..I detailed his respectable contribution whilst in seniors, take that at face value...Thorp had a senior game and had 2 possessions, what do I make of that....get with the program partner...put some substance to your reasoning, hot air wont cut it:thumbsdown:
are you serious? cos i wasn't, more the boofheaded broadside at the whole team i suppose.

but if i were to present a serious argument it could go something like this. rance regularly played in a richmond side that is going to delist up to 6 or more players from that side let alone from the entire squad, whilst dowler struggles to get a game in a hawthorn 22 that has up to 10 premiership players missing. then you could also compare the respective quality of the 2 teams and................only hot air, opinionated.........hmmm

are you serious? cos i wasn't, more the boofheaded broadside at the whole team i suppose.

but if i were to present a serious argument it could go something like this. rance regularly played in a richmond side that is going to delist up to 6 or more players from that side let alone from the entire squad, whilst dowler struggles to get a game in a hawthorn 22 that has up to 10 premiership players missing. then you could also compare the respective quality of the 2 teams and................only hot air, opinionated.........hmmm

ok, sorry, i didnt know you were kidding...still subjective broadside though mate...In one fowl swoop you're working toward a case that suggests anyone who got a game for us was no good (dont answer that:eek:), yet anyone that represented Hawthorn was good irrespective of what contribution...needs to be a little more scientific than that...rance held his own and looked comfortable at the level...he has areas to work on but for a 2nd year player he goes alright

Why would we go after Rance? We already have Shoenmakers who needs a few pre-seasons to hit his peak, but has already shown as much potential in one-on-ones has Rance has with an extra year. If we're going after a tall defender, he needs to be ready to play on Fevola in Rd1 next year. Hence why Gibson, Tarrant, Lake or Chaplin should be way ahead in terms of priority.
Rance is a HBF type anyway. Would be stupid to go after him
This. Why do most of you want Rance, when Schoeny had a better year than him, by a fair margin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Why do most of you want Rance, when Schoeny had a better year than him, by a fair margin.

A few reasons for me:

1) He's at Richmond, and nobody performs at their peak while at Richmond.
2) He's courageous (unless there's a pack and Buddy is on the bottom of them)
3) He's been played out of position a lot this year, so it's a bit rough to judge him
4) The hawks seem to want people who can rebound and defend, and his ball finding ability gives us something to work with.

The negative is that to bring him, or Drum in is to have 2 apprentices in the backline (Shoey and Rance/Drum/Other). That's probably too many, but ready made players are pretty damn hard to pick up.

4) The hawks seem to want people who can rebound and defend, and his ball finding ability gives us something to work with.
I don't think that's right. The Hawks don't want people who can rebound & defend, the Hawks HAVE people who rebound & defend. The problem being that they're the only kind of defenders we've had all year. Birchall, Whitecross, Ellis, Ladson, Gilham, Guerra. We have plenty of rebound defenders.

Gibson is not worth a first round pick, he came to North through the rookie system, a good player just the same and worth our 2nd pick assuming he wants to leave. I think we have our first pick in hand for a much better player so wouldn't us it on Gibson.

I understand your reasoning there mostly.

However, being a rookie listed player originally doesn't affect his value now.

cbf reading through the thread but from the Rance perspective:

Not worth your first pick (#9)...obviously but worth more than #25 considering he was drafted at pick #19 and this is a weakish draft. He's going to be a good younger player but for some unknown reason, Rawlings was playing him out of position in the midfield... probably because he has a huge tank but that's not the right position for a 19 year old 193cm KPD trying to learn the game. Don't think the deal will get done as Richmond won't accept #25 and Hawks won't want to give away #9, they would have to work around that some way.

I don't think that's right. The Hawks don't want people who can rebound & defend, the Hawks HAVE people who rebound & defend. The problem being that they're the only kind of defenders we've had all year. Birchall, Whitecross, Ellis, Ladson, Gilham, Guerra. We have plenty of rebound defenders.

I base this on us approaching guys like Mundy, Thornton etc and the way we used Hodge last year and the way we used Dowler in the backline this year.

But yeah I get your point. As much as it was said to be a weakness last year, our defence looked bloody beautiful with Croad/Gilham as lockdowns and Hodge, Goo, Laddo and Birch all rebounding.

How about Jared Rivers for pick 9? We seem to have too many tall defenders now, and Rivo is getting back to his best, and over his injuries.
I would hate to lose him, but in our rebuilding phase we have to give up quality to get a top 10 pick. Jared is all class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks chasing Rance/Gibson/Lake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back