Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly we desperately need a key forward, any key forward, to pair with Lewis and give Reeves a few ruck rests. We drafted 2 talls, hopefully one is good and chol can be the stopgap.

Not sure why we gave him such a long contract though. By the end of thr contract he will be on an average wage and be good depth I guess?
Ruck/forward is a tough role to fill. Chol has got a fair bit of potential in the role.

Ruck/forward is a tough role to fill. Chol has got a fair bit of potential in the role.
Very hard role. There aren't exactly many in the league doing it well.

Can't we just have David Hale back please?

Very hard role. There aren't exactly many in the league doing it well.

Can't we just have David Hale back please?

Max Ramsden is the one the watch..has the potential to play that role in the future. He’s having a great pre-season and has improved his fitness. Still needs to put on more size and get stronger but I can see him pushing for a spot in the starting 22 next season. Chol will need to perform early.

One poster has "called it now" predicting a 40 goal haul for Kosi in 2024

It’s definitely possible..

In 2021 as a 20 year old when we finished 14th, he kicked 27 goals in 20 games. He had 8 games kicking multiple goals.

For whatever reason, he never was able to perform consistently with us. In a forward line next to Tom Lynch, with the likes of Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin and a new system he may thrive and fulfil his potential.

How is Mass tracking Strapping Young Lad

Are you guys also trying to maximise his kicking off the half back line? We tried but he always struggled/got lost defensively. If you can fix that he will be a weapon.

His kicking was incredible in our last training session before the Xmas break. Drilling pass after pass. I didn’t think he would be in our starting 22 come round 1 but he’s definitely a chance. Having Mass, Sicily & Amon kicking from half back will be a joy to watch next season.

His kicking was incredible in our last training session before the Xmas break. Drilling pass after pass. I didn’t think he would be in our starting 22 come round 1 but he’s definitely a chance. Having Mass, Sicily & Amon kicking from half back will be a joy to watch next season.

His kicking was never the issue. Low darts that hit guys in stride. His issue with us was that he constantly got lost in defensive transition. His guy got off the chain alot.

His best games for us were actually the ones he played forward where he was less accountable and used his kicking to go into fifty. Also had good goal sense.

His kicking was never the issue. Low darts that hit guys in stride. His issue with us was that he constantly got lost in defensive transition. His guy got off the chain alot.

His best games for us were actually the ones he played forward where he was less accountable and used his kicking to go into fifty. Also had good goal sense.
That is a bad sign. I already have real concerns about our defensive accountability. It is our biggest weakness, and we don't need people adding to it.

That is a bad sign. I already have real concerns about our defensive accountability. It is our biggest weakness, and we don't need people adding to it.
Wouldn't stress, we'd be well aware of his defensive deficiencies already. He has all pre-season to improve and push for a spot in our 23.

At this point, he isn't in many people's Round 1 team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't stress, we'd be well aware of his defensive deficiencies already. He has all pre-season to improve and push for a spot in our 23.

At this point, he isn't in many people's Round 1 team.
Not stressed so much as I just hope we can train some defensive accountability into him and a dozen others. We win the ball so well, but when we don't, ouch.

Not stressed so much as I just hope we can train some defensive accountability into him and a dozen others. We win the ball so well, but when we don't, ouch.

Makes our decision to play Hardwick as a forward very interesting. He’s currently our only quality lockdown small defender other than seamus Mitchell who wasn’t in our best 22 at the end of last season.

Makes our decision to play Hardwick as a forward very interesting. He’s currently our only quality lockdown small defender other than seamus Mitchell who wasn’t in our best 22 at the end of last season.
I don't understand it at all. To add to the millions of other things I don't understand.

Maybe it puts a bit more responsibility on guys like CJ, Scrimshaw and Weddle. Without the hardwick security blanket they need to step up?

Hardwicks been an excellent player for Hawks last few seasons down back. Bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul there on face value

I actually do like the idea of Hardwick becoming a swingman/utility being able to play either forward or down back with aplomb.

Would definitely be an extra string to the bow Sam Mitchell has at his disposal, plus the Hawks seem to have plenty of good half back flankers at Box Hill/VFL level that will hopefully step up and start having an impact at AFL level.

I actually do like the idea of Hardwick becoming a swingman/utility being able to play either forward or down back with aplomb.

Would definitely be an extra string to the bow Sam Mitchell has at his disposal, plus the Hawks seem to have plenty of good half back flankers at Box Hill/VFL level that will hopefully step up and start having an impact at AFL level.
How many of those flankers can actually lock down a Rankine or CCameron or Greene? (Maybe they can learn without Hardwick doing it)

Didn’t you say only a week ago that Hawthorn have “flanker holes” on their list?

How many of those flankers can actually lock down a Rankine or CCameron or Greene? (Maybe they can learn without Hardwick doing it)
Funnily enough Frost has done a very good job on Cameron previously

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back