Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom 4 in '24 kinda has an apt ring to it.
You mean North right this thread has been renamed?
Bottom 4 in 24
still very poor
rely on Aidan corr
Clarkos out the door
Crawling on the floor
To the AFLs door
With knees so sore
Claiming force majeur
To shinbeg for more
free picks galore!

You mean North right this thread has been renamed?
Bottom 4 in 24
still very poor
rely on Aidan corr
Clarkos out the door
Crawling on the floor
To the AFLs door
With knees so sore
Claiming force majeur
To shinbeg for more
free picks galore!
Well this didn’t age very well did it? As we say in the UK Corr blimey!

The question is even assuming Hawthorn will finish above North/West Coast, which 2 other sides will Hawthorn finish above to get out of the bottom 4. Looking at the sides above Hawthorn on the 2023 Ladder

Gold Coast - Expected to make the 8
Freo - Always competitive. Smacked Hawthorn around in final round 2023
Richmond - Inconsistent but cant expect them to drop off that badly
Geelong - Start the season on 24 points due to home ground advantage

Along with one of the hardest draws... I cant see Hawthorn finishing better than 15th. Hawks can improve and get more wins but still finish 15th

The question is even assuming Hawthorn will finish above North/West Coast, which 2 other sides will Hawthorn finish above to get out of the bottom 4. Looking at the sides above Hawthorn on the 2023 Ladder

Along with one of the hardest draws... I cant see Hawthorn finishing better than 15th. Hawks can improve and get more wins but still finish 15th
You also couldn’t see us winning a game in 2023, and posted in every gameday preview thread that we’d lose by a lot, so …..

Agree with that. However, the competition is incredibly even, so any side that cops injuries to key players will struggle. Lynch goes down again and the tigers are a lock for bottom 4. Jeremy Cameron at the cats…

We can win 8 or 9 games next season and still finish bottom 4 which wouldn’t be a result. I have us winning 8 games and finishing 15th.

If we can finish with a % of 90+ and 8-9 wins with the second youngest side in the comp that would be a good result. 2024 is all about getting our key core of younger players to play as many games as possible together.

2025 will be when we start to rise up the ladder. Been saying it for the last few years. 2025 is the earliest we will be playing finals. That’s if we’re able to bring in a couple of quality free agents at the end of next season.
2026 is more realistic and likely.

Agree with that. However, the competition is incredibly even, so any side that cops injuries to key players will struggle. Lynch goes down again and the tigers are a lock for bottom 4. Jeremy Cameron at the cats…

We can win 8 or 9 games next season and still finish bottom 4 which wouldn’t be a result. I have us winning 8 games and finishing 15th.

If we can finish with a % of 90+ and 8-9 wins with the second youngest side in the comp that would be a good result. 2024 is all about getting our key core of younger players to play as many games as possible together.

2025 will be when we start to rise up the ladder. Been saying it for the last few years. 2025 is the earliest we will be playing finals. That’s if we’re able to bring in a couple of quality free agents at the end of next season.
Sam and the players are going to ignore your time line. The club wants to play finals this year. Lets see what happens.

Agree regarding the timeline. Of course the club is going to say it's aiming for finals now, what else will they say - we aim to crawl our way out of the bottom four?

It would be an incredible achievement for us to make Finals this season. But, IMO, 2025/2026 is when we will be absolutely primed for finals as guys like Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie, Butler, Day, Newcombe, etc, etc, etc. will be in that perfect age bracket, whilst our quality older players like Sicily, Hardwick, Amon, etc will still be playing quality football.

If we skip a step this season then it will bode really well for 2025/2026. That makes this season really exciting IMO.

Agree regarding the timeline. Of course the club is going to say it's aiming for finals now, what else will they say - we aim to crawl our way out of the bottom four?

It would be an incredible achievement for us to make Finals this season. But, IMO, 2025/2026 is when we will be absolutely primed for finals as guys like Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie, Butler, Day, Newcombe, etc, etc, etc. will be in that perfect age bracket, whilst our quality older players like Sicily, Hardwick, Amon, etc will still be playing quality football.

If we skip a step this season then it will bode really well for 2025/2026. That makes this season really exciting IMO.
The club doesnt just say they want to play finals mate. The club believes it can. From the coach to all the players. There is a difference. If we dont then for many of the players and the coach we would have under performed. Raise ure sights because we r not waiting or using others as an example for where we r at. We are forging our own path. We will be striving for finals and beyond this season. Get on board the ride

The club doesnt just say they want to play finals mate. The club believes it can. From the coach to all the players. There is a difference. If we dont then for many of the players and the coach we would have under performed. Raise ure sights because we r not waiting or using others as an example for where we r at. We are forging our own path. We will be striving for finals and beyond this season. Get on board the ride

I'm sure that's what the players and the club believe and are obviously striving for. Every club that finished outside the 8, bar North and WCE, would be saying the exact same thing.

IMO we will be absolutely primed for finals in 2025/6 and beyond for the reasons I said above. So if we don't get there this year I won't be surprised or upset, so long as we show improvement - and I'm expecting we will show a lot of improvement and play some exciting footy this season.

A few Carlton supporters on here having a laugh but these are not my words. The club and the players have been outspoken about it. Its not about those draft picks that u guys are so accustomed to cheer about but performance. They live and die by the sword. Like i said they have set the bar for performance this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few Carlton supporters on here having a laugh but these are not my words. The club and the players have been outspoken about it. Its not about those draft picks that u guys are so accustomed to cheer about but performance. They live and die by the sword. Like i said they have set the bar for performance this year.

So we’re supposed to believe the hawks will make finals because … Sam and the players want too 🤔

Someone should let North in on this little beauty … just make a wish 🤣

To make finals, the hawks will have to leapfrog 8 teams.
I’d be interested to hear who they are and why?

Supposedly, Tyler Brockman was happy to stay at Waverley if the Eagles didn’t stump up big time at the trade table … more fantasy … because hawthorn 🤣

This is membership season and clubs tell the faithful what they want to hear.
The reality of these rebuilds doesn’t really align with the public narrative club’s peddle at this time of year …

So we’re supposed to believe the hawks will make finals because … Sam and the players want too 🤔

Supposedly, Tyler Brockman was happy to stay at Waverley if the Eagles didn’t stump up big time at the trade table … more fantasy … because hawthorn 🤣

The reality of these rebuilds doesn’t really align with the public narrative club’s peddle at this time of year …
Comprehension fail.

Lol we shall see about the reality of rebuilds mate. These words u have been sprouting proudly

Silly conversation. Like every other team, Hawks will be focussed on process and improvement - not ladder position - that's an outcome based on how much or little they improve.

Silly conversation. Like every other team, Hawks will be focussed on process and improvement - not ladder position - that's an outcome based on how much or little they improve.
These are not my words mate. Process and improvement is individual as well as for the team.

Fair enough, but overlaying Carlton’s er ‘rebuilds’ on Hawthorn won’t be correct either

I am in favour to defer to his judgment on rebuilds given the Blues have been doing it since 1996. We won’t make finals next year but that’s unimportant. We will win a flag before Carlton do and that’s either devastating or par for the course depending on who you support. Maybe just come and join us after all, red bull gives you wings!

I love that we are aiming to make finals and that is the culture and expectation inside the 4 walls.

Personally I'd be happy with 10 wins and a % > 90, but I'm glad that isn't good enough for the club and the players.

I love that we are aiming to make finals and that is the culture and expectation inside the 4 walls.

Personally I'd be happy with 10 wins and a % > 90, but I'm glad that isn't good enough for the club and the players.
Oh great. Another Hawthorn supporter convinced that their team is exceptional for aiming to do what every other team is aiming to do as well. No ceiling boys. Sam said so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back