Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The aim of the game is to win the premiership or build towards winning a premiership. Yes teams try to win every game but winning a premiership is higher priority. You do what you can to achieve that, if shedding mature players and becoming weaker for a moment is what the club believes it has to do to achieve that then so be it.

Hawthorn aren't deliberately losing a few games to gain draft picks which is tanking. They are following a long term plan and following the AFL's system so that they can potentially build their list up to the quality needed to challenge for the premiership. Many clubs have done this before, dropping off in quality is a part of that sometimes.

North shed more experience than hawks did last year.

North qualify for a similar title thread to this one….but no one cares apparently
There’s no Harley Reid for people to be fawning over and jumping to conclusions over.

Should have had 10 wins in 2023, so it’s not crazy, but we need to keep a relatively injury free spine to do so.

I'm surprised to see you admit Hawthorn tanked last year, if you had won the 3 more games you would have lost Watson but probably picked up Curtin, so hardly worth the effort - but you couldn't know that rounds 8/9 last year.

Also surprised this thread is still going, it seems a bit off topic, unless we are expecting Hawthorn to continue with the bottoming out strategy while Mitchell still has credits for defeating Collingwood last year?

Bottom out, get good picks, show a bit towards the end, nothing to see here.

I'm surprised to see you admit Hawthorn tanked last year, if you had won the 3 more games you would have lost Watson but probably picked up Curtin, so hardly worth the effort - but you couldn't know that rounds 8/9 last year.

Also surprised this thread is still going, it seems a bit off topic, unless we are expecting Hawthorn to continue with the bottoming out strategy while Mitchell still has credits for defeating Collingwood last year?

Bottom out, get good picks, show a bit towards the end, nothing to see here.
Your desperation is showing.

Building nicely.

Only real question mark for me was the recruitment of Chol. To me he does not look like the type they need. He is not a marker.

If he has matured he could be a great player. But there has to be questions over any player onto their 3rd club.

Lewis needs help and Chol could be a brilliant addition. He certainly sounds like his training is going well.

If he has matured he could be a great player. But there has to be questions over any player onto their 3rd club.

Lewis needs help and Chol could be a brilliant addition. He certainly sounds like his training is going well.

Lewis definitely needs help after the departures of Ryan and Kosi.
A 5 year contract for a notoriously lazy 27yo Chol who was playing reserves behind a 34yo Levi Casboult last season is certainly a leap of faith by the hawks.
32yo Gunston returns, but has clearly seen better days …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 5 year contract for a notoriously lazy 27yo Chol who was playing reserves behind a 34yo Levi Casboult last season is certainly a leap of faith by the hawks.

Chol could show up to round 1 with a bong in one hand and a tinnie in another and I'd be more confident in him than Kosi.

FWIW I actually like Kosi.

2nd ruck is a really hard role to fill and Chol can play it. Look at the rumoured contracts that Rory Lobbe has received over the years.

Maybe you tell me why you should have won 10 but only won 7 games then, on a thread of Hawthorn tanking?

Are they just not as good as you think, or were they tanking?
You’re trying so hard, it’s cute.

Chol could show up to round 1 with a bong in one hand and a tinnie in another and I'd be more confident in him than Kosi.

FWIW I actually like Kosi.
Kosi may have been good in this year's forward line. All those dropped marks would suit the many small forwards we have. Should have also got Tim O'Brien back to ensure the ball stayed on the ground for them

34yo Levi Casboult was preferred last season over Chol …

He kicked over 40 goals the season before that.

We're all cherry picking his form to suit our arguments.

The current belief amongst Hawks fans is that if Chol can kick 20-30 goals a season, offer 5 minutes of ruck relief a quarter and bring the ball to ground for our exciting new mosquito fleet then he's worth every cent of his contract.

Not expecting miracles.

34yo Levi Casboult was preferred last season over Chol …

I rated Casboult in a second ruck role. I think he was one of the better ones. Competitive in the ruck. Up forward, he provided as good an aerial contest in a pack situation as anyone around.

Chol's not as strong in a contest, so I'd have him behind too - but still has the potential to be more effective than a lot of 2nd rucks.

The coaches said they have trialled many combinations, including one tall and 5 small fwds

Obviously hard to maintain all game and suggests why Hardwick has been spending time fwd.
The smalls would be ginnivan Watson bruest Hardwick butler or maybe Moore or croc

The coaches said they have trialled many combinations, including one tall and 5 small fwds

Obviously hard to maintain all game and suggests why Hardwick has been spending time fwd.
The smalls would be ginnivan Watson bruest Hardwick butler or maybe Moore or croc
Reckon I was there and saw this Lewis was recovering and the tall was Chol but the movement and energy running around him from Wiz, Bruest, Dimma, Ginnivan and Moore really stood out …… made me dizzy 😂. The options available in our forward line this year fills me with optimism!

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back