List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

It's always the midfield.

We are getting destroyed in the middle.
That makes your defence look ordinary and starves your forwards of opportunities.

Don't look at anything but our midfield and clearance work.

I'm not a Sam Hayes fan at all but had we played him over a broken down Soldo or Sweet our outcome in the last 3 games would have looked a bit different.

Sweet vs Marshall this week will decide Ken's future. Ken would have had more chance of survival with Hayes ironically.

The list is fine.

The coach and gameplan is terrible.

We will hopefully get an influx of cheap, Father/Son picks and Academy players this draft.

And really we can only have a decent assessment of our list when Hinkley leaves.

A good development coach would be handy as well as this has been below average especially with talls during the Hinkley era.

The list is fine.

We will hopefully get an influx of cheap, Father/Son picks and Academy players this draft.

And really we can only have a decent assessment of our list when Hinkley leaves.

A good development coach would be handy as well as this has been below average especially with talls during the Hinkley era.
Bring back chocco

The list is fine.

Geoff Morris was good in the role, we brought him back briefly before covid. Can't really remember when we let him go, didn't feel like it was a long stint.

It's always the midfield.

We are getting destroyed in the middle.
That makes your defence look ordinary and starves your forwards of opportunities.

Don't look at anything but our midfield and clearance work.

I'm not a Sam Hayes fan at all but had we played him over a broken down Soldo or Sweet our outcome in the last 3 games would have looked a bit different.

Sweet vs Marshall this week will decide Ken's future. Ken would have had more chance of survival with Hayes ironically.

I think we're generally a pretty good clearance side.

The issue is, it's not as valuable for us because of our gameplan means that waltzing out of a centre clearance and getting an unpressured entry inside 50 just means we jam it on the boot to a contest, where as the 17 other teams would be able to find an open player on the lead in that scenario far, far more than we do.

We have an elite clearance side. To clarify, we've switched from uberdefensive at clearances with Lycett to very attacking this year, we will get waltzed out clearances and also concede waltzed out clearances.

Obviously as I said, when we're in a clearance shootout and we have a gameplan that specifically fails to take advantage of unpressured inside 50s, we're fighting with one hand behind our back.

A good coach would look at his elite kicks going inside 50 and utilise them with an open forward line. Not our Kenny though, it's hospital balls to avoid intercept marks all day every day

Geoff Morris was good in the role, we brought him back briefly before covid. Can't really remember when we let him go, didn't feel like it was a long stint.
Lost to the Covid cuts I believe

List is alright.

Plenty of sides have threadbare depth. Collingwood play Frampton and have a dozen VFL level players. Even Sydney and Carlton have role players.

Someone like McEntee would slot into the Pies, Sydney etc because they have a strong and experienced core with senior players on each line. If Rozee, Butters or JHF struggle, who steps up? If Marshall, Mitch or Lore struggle who steps up? Our backline is our most experienced area but haven’t played much together and are terrible coached and not the right players for our gameplan.

Realistically we are 1-2 years away from being competitive but have gone all in for the coach and from a list management perspective.

It can be salvaged and there is plenty of potential there but we need to bring in experience and shift our roll players to less consequential positions.

I think we're generally a pretty good clearance side.

We have an elite clearance side. To clarify, we've switched from uberdefensive at clearances with Lycett to very attacking this year, we will get waltzed out clearances and also concede waltzed out clearances.

Obviously as I said, when we're in a clearance shootout and we have a gameplan that specifically fails to take advantage of unpressured inside 50s, we're fighting with one hand behind our back.

A good coach would look at his elite kicks going inside 50 and utilise them with an open forward line. Not our Kenny though, it's hospital balls to avoid intercept marks all day every day

We’ve got a midfield capable of elite clearances … jhf rozee and butters are just so damaging with their ability to take the ball away from a contest.. even with the handicap of our setup… but for whatever reason our side while it can get quality clearances it can’t regularly get the quantity.

Most non-port game I watch clearance mids rack up massive numbers and the 2nd 3rd rack up 6-8.

I’m not sure why this is. Set ups? It’s not quality.

We’ve got a midfield capable of elite clearances … jhf rozee and butters are just so damaging with their ability to take the ball away from a contest.. even with the handicap of our setup… but for whatever reason our side while it can get quality clearances it can’t regularly get the quantity.

Most non-port game I watch clearance mids rack up massive numbers and the 2nd 3rd rack up 6-8.

There is no ying to the yang with the three in there. Rozee to Half Forward and become Hird, Butters to a Wing and become Bradley, JHF Centre and become Voss. Drew, Wines and SPP wax as defensive minded stoppage blokes and have Mead, Jackson, Sinn, Burgmann as the link between Defence and Forward 50 entries.

Zerk-Thatcher, Rategolea, Farrell
Houston, Aliir, DBJ
Butters, Wines, Burgoyne
SPP, Marshall, Rozee
Lord, Georgiadies, Rioli
Soldo, Mead, JHF
Williams, Drew, Bergmann/Sinn/Jackson/Lorenz

Seems far greater balance to our team in 2024, would rotate the three amigos (Butters, Rozee, JHF) through their respective roles.

Last edited:

Spot on.

Feels like the potential is there but hasn’t delivered.

Wonder if it’s the ruck or connection within the group?

Do wonder as well if it’s stale sometimes and whether we need to throw SPP (when available), Bergs, Rioli, Houston or even Burton and DBJ in there, to mix it up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year we had Butters & Rozee as All Australians. JHF off the back off major leg surgery having a great year. Drew good too. Only difference being Wines is back in playing midfield after Hinks boldy declared pre season off zero form and a bad injury that's where he was playing.

This is how I'd like our off-season to look like once Hinkers is GONE

OUT
Retired
McKenzie
Boak
Dixon

Delisted
Narkle
F Evans
Marshall or McCallum

IN
2nd Round Pick - Player -small forward or mid
R Burgoyne
Barrett
Montgomery
2 players that can be given 1 year contracts DFA small forward/mid (Wingard?/Ladhams?)

Then in 2025 we have a full draft hand, a better appreciation of our list and can make some good decisions and delist/trade excess players that have no future at the club.

Last year we had Butters & Rozee as All Australians. JHF off the back off major leg surgery having a great year. Drew good too. Only difference being Wines is back in playing midfield after Hinks boldy declared pre season off zero form and a bad injury that's where he was playing.
It is something to really think about.

We've got the Three Amigos and even though Wines is a stalwart of the club, should not be playing above those three and even Drew but he's automatically slotted in the centre over the captain and dual AA, the reigning Coaches Player of the Year and one of the best young talents in the game.

If I was either of Rozee, Butters or the Hornet, I would not understand why they aren't the face and engine of the team.

Since the end of COLA's, Brisbane's Fitzroy top-ups and the end of the effects of the last vestiges of lists not being fully built via the existing system of drafting / trading no side has had a complete list. The closest was Geelong in 2007 and we know that wasn't legit (Dank 1.0).

The clubs that win flags the last 20 years are those that have a good enough list, with a head coach and decent assistants, able to play to their strengths and minimise their inevitable weaknesses. We are definitely one of those sides with a good enough list.

Our list isn't great, but no one's is. Swap Hinkley and Longmuir and we'd be top 4 and Sydney bottom of the 8 or outside it. The bullshit of our list isn't good enough, is just that, bullshit. In an 18 team competition, with a salary cap, no one is building an Essendon 2000 type list, that was quality on almost every line (even that ruck was average).

Last edited:
Bar a few gaps (in fairness all clubs have some) our list will look a lot better if we have coaches who can:

1. Implement an actual workable gameplan
2. Develop players properly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back