Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about how many players, or changes.
Sorry, WW but that's just a red herring/deflection which does not address the fair question asked by Scorpus:
"If we actually do have the right players, and we're currently sitting 15th, then what's the issue Nicks?"
You're still asking this after all of my posts .....that's what I say about not reading & comprehending .....just asking the same question over & over again repetitively .....gee it's boring

Exactly what I've been saying .....and why a) I wanted him re-appointed for the extra 2 years
I am stunned that you did. On what basis, please? 10th in 2023?
The time to re-appoint might have been before the Season started; making the announcement after a first-game loss was bewildering.
Why not wait until the bye?
If we're tracking to make Top6, extend by two years.
However, if we're 9th to 16th (lower position is worse of course), say 4-9-1, a sacking would be reasonable.

If it's touch and go, wait until year's end. 7th or 8th would be an improvement, so an extension might be acceptable.
Unless something amazing happens, it looks like we're going to be 12th to 16th. That's a fail.
....and b) why I said I would reserve my assessment till years end ... not after each win/loss .....
I agree, kind of; "not after each win/loss" seems fair.
At 0-1, a loss away, meh. Too early to tell.
at 0-2, not a great start. Let's see.
At 0-3, looking tight/grim, not happy.
BUT
At 0-4 was a fair time to ask serious questions.
Likewise, now at 4-9-1, no chance of Finals + repetitive weird player selections + strange use of juniors exacerbated by the stubborn retention of underperforming seniors + exactly what is the game plan? + benign game-day tactics, all add up to Coaching incompetence.
it's about how he handles this list and his ability to turn it around
I can forgive Nicks for 2020 and 2021.

After 2021 it was then all "about how he handles the list and his ability to turn it around".
2022, improved ONE poz to 14th. Meh.
2023, a better year for sure. Good signs, highest-scoring attack, Dawson and Rankine starring, Soligo and Michalanney coming on, great year by Tex, solid improvement by Jones etc.
BUT THEN
2024, back to 2022 levels of shiteness.

WW, I've seen how he's handled the list (badly) and seen if he can turn it around (he can't).
Sack Nicks, now.

You're still asking this after all of my posts .....that's what I say about not reading & comprehending .....just asking the same question over & over again repetitively .....gee it's boring
I did not ask it. Scorpus did. I merely quoted the question, to which you'd previously only deflected away from.
More coming ...

So your belief is ...this forum should only allow POV's that are supported by the majority ....independent thought should be dismissed .....the majorities POV is right
No, no and NO.
It's not about majority/minority to me, but logic/reason and fairness.
Keep in mind: I've been reading your posts and the reactions to them. In my opinion, you're not making a lot of sense, ignore reasonable questions and deflect by changing the subject.

To be fair, I think a lot of the disagreement aimed at you is unfairly hostile and abusive, but you're smart enough to ignore that (or should be). Ridicule and personal abuse are unwarranted. Disagreement-with-reasons is entirely fair.
Did I get that correct .....
No.
no discussion entered into, any dissention needs to be squashed .....that's an interesting and dangerous POV to hold
It's not interesting; it's ridiculous and nowhere have I supported that.
I am trying to discuss with you. I have not resorted to personal attacks or derision.

On the basis of your post, suggesting wholesale changes are in fact needed ......by backtracking and saying Oliver and Marshall are significant changes .....you therefore are supporting the POV that if you take 3-4 key players out of a side, thru injury ....that also has a significant impact on a list

You can't support one POV and not the other ......some traps are so easy to setup 🤣
You're funny. Marshall is an upgrade on an existing player. Oliver is an upgrade on an existing player. In no way does the hypothetical equate to losing players to injury. Your "trap" is made of toothpicks.

That's fine, I don't expect the average supporter to agree with me .....however, I do reserve the right to have my opinions ....which unsurprisingly are supported by others in the know

You believe we're wasting another 12 months .....however, your assumption is, the next Coach is an absolute guaranteed premiership Coach :padlock: ......how do you have such optimism, when you haven't even got a coach named, and whoever it is, will also be a first time Coach .....so we'll potentially go thru another 3 years settling in period

And of course that also assumes, you believe the list is fine, and it's simply the Coach, who is bad ?

It's a rare poster who can both set up a ridiculous straw man, then fail to defeat it.

Oh yeah, the list is good and the coach bad, or the list bad and the coach good are totally the only two available options. Great thinking. Thank god you're not like the 'average supporter'.

So your belief is ...this forum should only allow POV's that are supported by the majority ....independent thought should be dismissed .....the majorities POV is right

Did I get that correct .....no discussion entered into, any dissention needs to be squashed .....that's an interesting and dangerous POV to hold
No I think it’s the fact that there is literally nothing to point to, to say nicks is the man.
You seem to be hoping he’ll get better and it can’t be based on any logic or results.
Just because the next man in might not be any better, doesn’t mean we have to stick with below average (ironic as this is our selection policy too)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves talking about independent thought. I think we'd settle for you just demonstrating thought at this point.

That's pretty inciteful scorpus .....I could have simply looked at the ladder to find that out .....give me your explanation why ....your thoughts

Because COLL and BRIS, the Grand Finalists, also lost the first 3 games of 2024 .....it happens
They had bad weeks, we played to our level this year.
And it’s been proven since just how far away we are.

No I think it’s the fact that there is literally nothing to point to, to say nicks is the man.
You seem to be hoping he’ll get better and it can’t be based on any logic or results.
Just because the next man in might not be any better, doesn’t mean we have to stick with below average (ironic as this is our selection policy too)
To be fair, it is highly likely that we'd make a terrible choice on a Nicks replacement

Exactly what I've been saying .....and why a) I wanted him re-appointed for the extra 2 years ....and b) why I said I would reserve my assessment till years end ... not after each win/loss ......it's about how he handles this list and his ability to turn it around

The two statements are not contradictory statements .......now is Blight also talking BS ? ....I think I'll default to experts in the field

Apparently progress with no finals is acceptable...

We get it, you worship mediocrity!

Well I don't & if the club doesn't make changes, they will be losing me as a member who has attended since game 1.

That's pretty inciteful scorpus .....I could have simply looked at the ladder to find that out .....give me your explanation why ....your thoughts

Because COLL and BRIS, the Grand Finalists, also lost the first 3 games of 2024 .....it happens
I would happily change positions with either Pies or Lions as both are likely to play finals... yet again... whilst we will miss the finals... yet again.

We are in no way comparable to these 2 clubs.

If only!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fine, I don't expect the average supporter to agree with me .....however, I do reserve the right to have my opinions ....which unsurprisingly are supported by others in the know

You believe we're wasting another 12 months .....however, your assumption is, the next Coach is an absolute guaranteed premiership Coach :padlock: ......how do you have such optimism, when you haven't even got a coach named, and whoever it is, will also be a first time Coach .....so we'll potentially go thru another 3 years settling in period

And of course that also assumes, you believe the list is fine, and it's simply the Coach, who is bad ?
Wayne, are you willing to stake your account on Nicks being successful as a coach?

You do understand, Balme would simply be a consultant ....he won't be a decision maker

His previous role in coming to RICH, was as a decision maker ....that was a full-time role, this is not
If Balme comes to AFC, I can guarantee he will be making strong decisions like he has at every other club.

Seriously you are wrong on nearly everything you post!

You are making Marty look intelligent as he atleast has 1 good point.

Last edited:
Ironic.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves talking about independent thought. I think we'd settle for you just demonstrating thought at this point.
Not going to happen.

We all feel so much more stupid for reading WW spam.

You do understand, Balme would simply be a consultant ....he won't be a decision maker

His previous role in coming to RICH, was as a decision maker ....that was a full-time role, this is not
An influencer that causes positive changes is just fine with me. Thankyou for your concern about understanding.

I think you can certainly argue injuries hurt, but it's also becoming apparent that last year was heavily built off the back of faster ball movement and Tex having a career year.

What should have immediately been setting off sirens, red flags, messenger pigeons and silent whistles to upset dogs was Nicks response to that season was not to work out how to bring other forwards into the gameplan to reduce the reliance on Tex, but to go back to a failed 2022 gameplan of short kicks, slow ball movement and over-relying on contested ball and spending an off-season focusing purely on defence to the detriment of every other area of our gameplan.

Those first 4 games we played were absolutely putrid and it was staggering just how many players looked absolutely lost at sea under a gameplan he designed and tried to pound into them over the off-season. Either he's back to the 2020 issues where he seemingly could not communicate what he wanted to players and have them understand or he's continued to try and build a style which we absolutely do not have the personnel for, which is on both him and List Management.

The issue is then he over invests in the lower part of our list talent wise because they bring aspects of the gameplan he loves and it creates a team environment where we're massively lopsided and have too few trying to carry the team talent wise to make up for the limitations of others.

What do you consider appropriate changes .....10 ?

Is it a numerical figure you're getting irritable over ....quantity over quality ?

If you added a Clayton Oliver and Marshall ....that's just two, and is not considered major changes to a list

You and others have a severely limited understanding of comprehension, context, and general footy knowledge ......not a rationale or individual thought to be found

It's a mob mentality .....and mobs are rarely good, nor right

No, stop giving games to spuds like Murphy and McHenry. They provide sfa on the ground.

By the time a player gets to 50 games, you know what they got. You don’t let then get to 100+ games unless you are decimated by injury (which we haven’t been) and they are “break glass, use in emergency option’”.

R15: Bye
R16: GWS Giants (H) - LOSS
R17: Brisbane Lions (A) - LOSS
R18: St Kilda (H) - 50/50
R19: Essendon (A) - LOSS
R20: Hawthorn (H) - 40/60
R21: Geelong (A) - LOSS
R22: Western Bulldogs (H) - LOSS
R23: Port Adelaide (A) - 50/50
R24: Sydney (A) - LOSS
Champion Data Fixture Difficulty Ranking: 3rd Hardest

:embarrassedv1: :sick:

2 x 50/50 games and a maybe at best for rest of season.... Going to be a long grind for us on this board....

R15: Bye
R16: GWS Giants (H) - LOSS
R17: Brisbane Lions (A) - LOSS
R18: St Kilda (H) - 50/50
R19: Essendon (A) - LOSS
R20: Hawthorn (H) - 40/60
R21: Geelong (A) - LOSS
R22: Western Bulldogs (H) - LOSS
R23: Port Adelaide (A) - 50/50
R24: Sydney (A) - LOSS
Champion Data Fixture Difficulty Ranking: 3rd Hardest

:embarrassedv1: :sick:

2 x 50/50 games and a maybe at best for rest of season.... Going to be a long grind for us on this board....
I will laugh harder if we don't even win one.

Yes, Grand Finalists, and what were we? 10th with a losing W-L record.

You literally are taking the piss!

Back