News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it's less about the intentionally lopsided nature of his commentary, and more that he has a habit of questioning 50/50 umpire calls in our favour and advocating for 50/50 umpire calls for the opposition.

Everyone knows umpiring is a raffle. It's the decision to insert himself as an arbiter of truth in those moments that can become frustrating. Just as Pav's habit is always highlighting the negative element of any piece of play we make.

For me it's less about the intentionally lopsided nature of his commentary, and more that he has a habit of questioning 50/50 umpire calls in our favour and advocating for 50/50 umpire calls for the opposition.

Everyone knows umpiring is a raffle. It's the decision to insert himself as an arbiter of truth in those moments that can become frustrating. Just as Pav's habit is always highlighting the negative element of any piece of play we make.
This is 100% it for me too.

if he wants to just call it as it is,as he always falls back to then do that, but he doesn’t. He’s just towing the VFL line following the example set by all the vic commentators and gonzo Pavlich in the best interests of his career.

Honestly no different to hearing BT call a game now so just **** right off Schoey.

Last edited:

1722122620233.png

Been a fair bit of chat in this forum about 'AFL can't let eagles suffer too long they need the eagles supporter base, tv viewership etc'. Absolute codswallop -

The eagles being down 20-30 thousand at games pales an absolute insignificance to a Victorian team pulling ~15K (instead of 70k when they are winning). The eagles getting 30-40k at games would be the absolute least of the AFL's issues, (Freo going well for crowd numbers would easily make up the deficit)

Watched a bit of this game pre derby and honestly the seagulls made more noise than the crowd at times, not a good look for the AFL.

Cornes literally said no one tried to reel Reid in. Did he even look at the conversation yeo was having with him?
Yep

Cornes has been cheer leading JHF all year.

Also slaughtered us because we couldn't go with Freo for 4 quarters.

It was 3rd against 17th FFS.
Thought we had a crack, just not good enough.

I wish commentators just called the free kick and didn't give us their opinion on if it was warranted. The ones they choose to complain about and the ones where they remain mute just exposes their biases.

A distracted Harley still gets 29 touches and is one of our most influential players.

The fact is that he is a different beast than the AFL is used to - he thrives in the contest and physicality. Cornes and the other fools in the media need to get used to what he's going to bring to the game.

I find all the commentary teams very boring and vanilla and meh.

Could take or leave all of them.

The day they bring back what FOX FOOTY had back in the day where you could have crowd noise only will be awesome!

I also feel like the callers have too much influence on who/how guys get looked at by the MRP

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think I'm in the minority that has no issue with Schoey. Having said that, I'm in that camp with Kane as well, so maybe it says something about me haha.

I thought last night he was much the same as he's always been. Not bad but not terrible either. I must admit when I listen to him I don't really think to myself "West Coast Legend Will Schofield" though. I do feel like he's a next generation Karl Langdon; not happy with how his career ended at the Eagles, does his utmost to distance himself from them with contrary opinions and does not deal well with people disagreeing with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s not too much wrong with what Cornes said & wrestling certainly is a lot of wasted energy on field, but some players need to play on the edge to perform.

He obviously just needs to find a balance & that will come with experience.
It was good to see Yeo getting around him.

Apologies for the intrusion.

I find it odd that Reid is being criticised for being distracted when i would’ve thought he’d be congratulated for battling through the pre planned physical attention to get 29 possessions and an equal game high 10 clearances. Not only that but as a 19 year old stood up to being targeted to give back as good as he got

The more players with his combative attitude we get on the list the better. No wonder Jarrad Schofield was full of praise for him after the match

I find it odd that Reid is being criticised for being distracted when i would’ve thought he’d be congratulated for battling through the pre planned physical attention to get 29 possessions and an equal game high 10 clearances. Not only that but as a 19 year old stood up to being targeted to give back as good as he got

The more players with his combative attitude we get on the list the better. No wonder Jarrad Schofield was full of praise for him after the match

That’s not the point. Did he play to his best and could he have done more had he not gotten involved in argy bargy?

We don’t want to remove him being combative as that is also what gives him drive. Just be more selective.

I imagine Schofield is a perfect foil for him being a man who wouldn’t take a step back himself.

View attachment 2061153

Been a fair bit of chat in this forum about 'AFL can't let eagles suffer too long they need the eagles supporter base, tv viewership etc'. Absolute codswallop -

The eagles being down 20-30 thousand at games pales an absolute insignificance to a Victorian team pulling ~15K (instead of 70k when they are winning). The eagles getting 30-40k at games would be the absolute least of the AFL's issues, (Freo going well for crowd numbers would easily make up the deficit)

Watched a bit of this game pre derby and honestly the seagulls made more noise than the crowd at times, not a good look for the AFL.
There were more seagulls (real seagulls, not daicos) on screen than fans in the crowd.

A distracted Harley still gets 29 touches and is one of our most influential players.

The fact is that he is a different beast than the AFL is used to - he thrives in the contest and physicality. Cornes and the other fools in the media need to get used to what he's going to bring to the game.
His coach summed it up pretty well.

I honestly thought Reid kept his cool a lot better than I expected given since halftime of the saints game earlier in the year he looked to be getting a lot more frustrated when the whistle hasn’t been going his way. Apart from the goal directly in front in the third he kept his head screwed on pretty well I thought and played a great game (29 touches when copping attention in your first year is bloody good signs)

That’s not the point. Did he play to his best and could he have done more had he not gotten involved in argy bargy?

We don’t want to remove him being combative as that is also what gives him drive. Just be more selective.

I imagine Schofield is a perfect foil for him being a man who wouldn’t take a step back himself.
It's a contest - he is a combative weapon. We have plenty of less combative players - but he is our best since Nic.

I think I'm in the minority that has no issue with Schoey. Having said that, I'm in that camp with Kane as well, so maybe it says something about me haha.
Bigger issue with Schofield is he just can't shut the **** up. Freo were all over us second half, it's not bias to point that out.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back