News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone translate what the sausage is actually on about here?

Kane Cornes could be our next coach?

It could almost be worth it for the novelty factor.

Lol at Midweek tackle. Spends the first segment analyzing Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton's injuries and saying that's clearly the reason all 3 clubs are struggling this year.

Where was this for the past 2 seasons?
‘National’ program solely staffed by (Melbourne) Herald Sun journos. (Or rather ‘journos’.)

Why should they bother with nonVic stories when their readers couldn’t give a rats?

Yep ^

Coincidentally they'll decide to have both games wherever they can maximise the profits.
What the heck?

So 7th - who should already have qualified for finals - potentially plays 10th at 10th 's home ground to progress to the normal finals rounds - because the already rich AFL want even more $$

Sometimes I hate this corrupt organisation.

What the heck?

So 7th - who should already have qualified for finals - potentially plays 10th at 10th 's home ground to progress to the normal finals rounds - because the already rich AFL want even more $$

Only sometimes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the heck?

Yep why stop at 7-10 playing off? Think of the money they're missing. Why not have 17 H&A and then have 10 weeks of finals? Or maybe just have every team playing each other for the right to play Collingwood in the GF?

FWIW: did you know that while Collingwood like to say they won four in a row (1927-30) that most of those finals were under a system where if the team that finished top did not play in the GF they could challenge the winner? So they availed themselves of that at least once.

454582236_921208190033496_1074351792690956665_n.jpg

Yep why stop at 7-10 playing off? Think of the money they're missing. Why not have 17 H&A and then have 10 weeks of finals? Or maybe just have every team playing each other for the right to play Collingwood in the GF?

FWIW: did you know that while Collingwood like to say they won four in a row (1927-30) that most of those finals were under a system where if the team that finished top did not play in the GF they could challenge the winner? So they availed themselves of that at least once.

I assumed Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond won most of their "premierships" whilst the real men of Australia were overseas fighting in world wars.

I mean you can doubt the media reports, but with this much smoke it would surprise me if there was no fire. We are in a rebuild and trading out TB would warrant us gaining the most out of any of our contracted players

Clubs look like they are willing to offer him a significant amount of $$$, and at this stage it doesn't look like we are prepared to match that. If that is the case, it would make sense for him to request a trade.

If this all works out then us re-signing him last year to prevent a FA move will be one of our best list management moves in recent history
I like the idea of a good - rewarding trade. But it's all speculation at the moment. Smokey speculation perhaps.

Fitzroy won the 1916 flag despite winning the wooden spoon

Collingwood count 1917 despite being 6 teams

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the AFL had their time again, would they have drawn a line in the sand after 1989, forced 4 clubs from Vic into 2 composite sides, and disregarded pre 1990 premierships from the ‘new’ national league?

If the AFL had their time again, would they have drawn a line in the sand after 1989, forced 4 clubs from Vic into 2 composite sides, and disregarded pre 1990 premierships from the ‘new’ national league?
No the opposite, they'd probably not try to kill Fitzroy. The mistake was SA and WA trying to join the VFL instead of push for a new/combined national comp.

Well SA held out hoping WA would do the same. We failed ourselves
Yep absolutely. Sliding doors.

In 1985 VFL had seven teams (incl Coll) so close to bankruptcy that the Vic ‘corporate affairs commissioner’ had sent show cause letters to them asking why they should not be wound up.

Just think about the ramifications of that.

But then the licence fees from WA and Bris saved their arses.

Sorry to be a cracked record on this, but the history of that time is important.

Yep absolutely. Sliding doors.

In 1985 VFL had seven teams (incl Coll) so close to bankruptcy that the Vic ‘corporate affairs commissioner’ had sent show cause letters to them asking why they should not be wound up.

Just think about the ramifications of that.

But then the licence fees from WA and Bris saved their arses.

Sorry to be a cracked record on this, but the history of that time is important.
Could the WAFL have held out for a year? Given the WAFC could raise the entry fee for West Coast I wanna say yes but then why be so hell bent on joining the VFL?

I wish there was a book or something about this I could get into.

Could the WAFL have held out for a year? Given the WAFC could raise the entry fee for West Coast I wanna say yes but then why be so hell bent on joining the VFL?

I wish there was a book or something about this I could get into.
I hope I’m doing this right. Here is the URL (I think) for a pretty illuminating article from The Age. Hope it works

Saving football: New documents reveal how close the VFL came to shutting down​

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back