Review Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not remotely surprised by that. Pretty useless stuff.

The one thing I am surprised about is how quick we went from hard at the ball (most of the first quarter) to cheap shots and faux tough guy shit we see from other teams in times of despair. It was weak, and worse, it wasn't even real. Confected nonsense.

I hadn't really considered it before seeing some chatter on the board recently, and perhaps I'm suffering from recency bias, but it seems to me that we have some real disharmony in the ranks.

The game plan is clearly cooked, but I'm more concerned about the cohesion of the playing group. It's probably hard to blame the non leaders for being agitated when some of our leaders and best paid players are serving up compete tripe.

I know people want to blame Naitanui for that last goal but, man, when you look at our personnel available to stop it from occurring. It's just bewildering.
Final Setup.jpg
McGovern is the red oval guarding space in a location where the ball is never going to go. He's competed on the forward flank about 30 seconds before so is almost certainly out of steam pushing back to defence.
Yeo similarly is completely out of play in the yellow oval.
Duggan appears to be the best placed in the green oval to impact, however, he fades into the pocket past Stevenson and is not present at the fall of the ball.
Thus, Petruccelle (in the pink oval) is left trailing Goldstein into the goal square where Larkey is 2nd in line to mark it should Goldstein have been unable to make the contest.
In fact in the vicinity of the goal square we outnumber the Kangaroos players by 6 to 4. Yet we still lost this pivotal contest.
Gov is the leader back there. He should be directing, not stuck in no man's land watching.

Last edited:

“…and in the morning, I’ll be sober.”

e2d3345f803fe24545181191130000fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't understand our obsession with a press that leaves us no fast options because we have to wait for players to run back (as well as a doubled up defensive opposition ready if we bomb it). Then when we go forward our crumbers are too high up the field and our big forwards are left to try to win the ground ball. All this encourages going backwards as a first instinct. Opposition teams then outwork us.

Well that was pretty ****ing ordinary.

The high skill low pressure game plan was always vulnerable to teams who were willing to apply a bit of heat, but when it's not standing up to the team at the bottom of the ladder, then you know it's time to pull the pin on it.

So that's the first thing that has to change. It's too late in the season to come up with anything out of the ordinary so back to basics IMO. In the last quarter we moved the ball quick, long and just got it inside the F50. It wasn't particularly aesthetic, but right now aesthetics can get ****ed - it's time to just get effective. Let's run with that a for a while. It doesn't need any serious level of coaching to make it work. We've had a great run with Simmo, but he is seriously putting his job on the line if he doesn't make the desired changes.

The next change that has happen is to personnel taking the field. We go from having one of the great club wins against Richmond, breathing life into a fluctuating year, get a load of cavalry back only to produce three weeks of absolute dross. A couple of statements have to be made at the selection table, and the first two that should be firing line are MCGovern and Darling. Sheed, Gaff, Kelly, Ryan and Cripps are other senior players who's positions should not be a lock every week just at the moment. I don't really care what changes are made, but at least two of that group have to be dropped next week as a statement.

There will be need to be other changes as well - e.g. Ah Chee puts in but just doesn't have it IMO. LEdwards, HEdwards, Foley should all be bought back in. I'm still flabbergasted that Led has been demoted so quickly for returning players after his stunning performance v the Tigers. It's not realistic to think he's going to do that every week, but what a terrible message after the best performance from a first or second year player in blue and gold for probably a decade (maybe even since Judd's early days?). Jake Waterman would also add some much needed campaigner into the team.

After that.... well lets just see how the next six weeks play out because plenty within the coaching group are coaching for the right to stay on in 2022.

This is why singling out single snippets can be dangerous, even by people who should know to look deeper. You look at that and think that's piss poor Gov.
The reality is we don't want Gov drawn out in that situation. According to the plan there should be a defensive runner getting there through EFFORT, leaving Gov to stay in D50 and do what he does.
You can argue all the pros and cons and vagaries about whether that's a good plan or not, you can argue over who's really showing the lack of effort, Gov or a particular midfielder refusing to run there. However Gov was doing exactly as we've been coached.

Thanks Mrs McGovern…

You go to the most dangerous bloke who was the bloke this lazy prick let go for the next possession… it could have been cut off there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I cant see where our next win will come from.
I'm having trouble as well.

Just looked through the fixture list and the 'easier' games (Adelaide, Collingwood) are away. St Kilda are on form having won 3 in a row including Richmond and Brisbane away, a game I can't see us winning in round 23. And Freo are suddenly feeling good about themselves. Anyone see a win there? Confident? Really?

If we lose all games we could miss the 8 by 4 games and percentage, finishing 12th. In fact, there are 4 teams within a game of us now and only one has a lower percentage. Will need a miracle to make the eight.

I'm having trouble as well.

Just looked through the fixture list and the 'easier' games (Adelaide, Collingwood) are away. St Kilda are on form having won 3 in a row including Richmond and Brisbane away, a game I can't see us winning in round 23. And Freo are suddenly feeling good about themselves. Anyone see a win there? Confident? Really?

If we lose all games we could miss the 8 by 4 games and percentage, finishing 12th. In fact, there are 4 teams within a game of us now and only one has a lower percentage. Will need a miracle to make the eight.
Good. Don't have a chance of winning the flag and haven't since Bulldogs game. Better to get rid of the deadwood end of year - both coaches and players

Too many egos, time to prick a few at the selection table

Gov, Gaff, Darling, Ryan, Kelly and Cripps are senior players who are under performing big time

Simpson eyes are on you, time to make a statement

I'm paraphrasing here but in the presser he said we don't/won't gift games and then two minutes later said he's got their backs and they have to stick together.

I wouldn't be expecting any statements to be made at the selection table if i were you.

So I got home in time to watch most of the 4th quarter.

I saw Sheppard attack the play and break lines, charging downfield... then do a 90 degree square handball to Cripps for some reason. And between those two and Petch they managed to turn it over before an I50.

Some of this ludicrous decision making, poor positioning, and soft as butter tackling has got to be on the coaching and list management staff. North stuck nearly every tackle in the fourth. We were lucky to hold one. They hit targets up and down the field whilst we relied on miracle goals that bounce over several players' heads. They didn't do dumb ****ing shit every time they had a clear bite of the pill, and boy did they want that pill more than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are at a very low ebb atm. I can’t see where the improvement is going to come from. Simpson is simply trotting out the same bland stuff. Try harder for longer, be more consistent, there must be something badly wrong.

So I got home in time to watch most of the 4th quarter.

I saw Sheppard attack the play and break lines, charging downfield... then do a 90 degree square handball to Cripps for some reason. And between those two and Petch they managed to turn it over before an I50.
I was at the game unfortunately, there was only JK and 2 north players ahead of the play would of been turned over anyway if he kicked it deep.
Need to keep at least 2 players deep at all times and the others have to run like hell to get back to create an outlet.
Game plan needs a massive overhaul.

Simpson press conference, for those who still care

Heard it on 6PR on the way home from the footy. He really bristled when Craig O’Donoghue from The West called him out on his “judge us on Monday” call from his earlier press conference.

Oh and we won’t be dropping a big name. “They’re just low on confidence” or “they haven’t lost the talent, they’re still good players”. Make that out as credits in the bank for Darling, Cripps, Sheed, Gov etc.

Last edited:
I'm paraphrasing here but in the presser he said we don't/won't gift games and then two minutes later said he's got their backs and they have to stick together.

I wouldn't be expecting any statements to be made at the selection table if i were you.
That press conference concerns me greatly. Still can't see the gravity of it all.

Negatives -

-
Simmo NEVER LEARNS. Same predictable game plan that got us destroyed against the Bulldogs and the Swans in the WET.
- Zero accountability for Norf spares in the contest. The spare was Stephenson who had his career best game against us as he was unaccounted for.
- Darling poor again, he has to be dropped to the WAFL or an absurd suggestion to move him in the midfield. Simmo lacks the ruthlessness that other coaches have in dropping underperforming players despite their past glory.
- Ryan despite his two goals including a nice one, just doesn't attack the contest and thrown a momentum costing tantrum because he's playing so bad. Also doesn't chase hard enough.
- Cripps tackles not sticking, too often when he tackled, they get broken. Also went missing.
- Accuracy let us down early on but at least five or six rushed behinds. Considering how bad we played, even though we were more accurate its not out of the question they make a comeback St Kilda/Essendon style and embarrass us even more.
- Sheed and Gaff lacked impact and were poor in the wet.
- F50 inefficiency, we had more I50s than them but we still lost. Goes to show how some of our entries are either dogsh*t or our forwards aren't competing hard or they do compete but have no crumbers. They had 55% I50 efficiency whereas we had 37%.
- F50 pressure was appalling at times.
- Gov looked out of form and dropped some sitters. His unaccountably is killing the team.

Meh =

=
Petch tried hard as was pretty decent.
= Langdon same with Petch also tried hard but his lack of class and polished showed. But him and Petch are improving.
= Rotham was decent in his return game, although that kick to Sheed that fell short was unacceptable.
= Shuey also tried and he was one of our better players out there but didn't have much help other than Nic Nat.
= Yeo busted through some stoppages but didn't get involved a lot.
= Barrass did well in defense but seemed too unaccountable at times.
= Nelson was alright for me and attack the ball hard.
= AhChee showed glimpses.

Positives +

+ Nic Nat pretty much carried the mids again. Beaten Goldstein in the ruck and around the ground from just 70% TOG compared to Goldstein's 88% TOG. Also had a game high of 10 clearances. Lock him in for another AA and Woosha medal.
+ Hurn was excellent down back taking intercept marks. Still one of our best players.
+ Shep was also great down back, took the game on at times.
+ Duggan at least still providing us some drive and took some nice intercept marks too.
+ Cole was solid down back and used the ball well.
+ Some nice run down tackles.
+ Showed glimpses of a top 4 side when we had momentum.

Final thoughts.

God that was appalling, Simmo and co never learn. We virtually had no plan B in the wet and it showed for the past few weeks. There were already alarm bells in the Carlton and Richmond game where we still won despite not playing well. In the Carlton game, we were lucky they didn't kick straight and we were more accurate and plus H.McKay was concussed. I felt we would've lost that game if they kicked straight and H.McKay didn't get concussed. The Richmond game was a similar thing. They looked on top for most of the game but we managed to keep ourselves in by kicking straight. For me it was more of them losing than us winning, they made too many mistakes which prevented them from winning. To be fair, they did beat us at TAS in 2018 when we were flying and won the flag that year.

Now winnable games turn to danger games and don't get me started against the Lions at the Gabba in R23. I have a feeling we we will get pummeled against the Saints at home considering they beaten the Lions at the Gabba. Now Collingwood is a danger game especially if they bring Cox back who normally plays well against us and gets the better of Gov and Barrass plus if they played in the final quarter like they did against the Saints and the Tigers if we don't have a significant margin up.

All coaches are touchy feely because we live in the SJW snowflake, maths is racist era where you dare not tell it like it is for the sake of not upsetting someones delicate sensibilities.
Who told you I have delicate sensibilities?

We are at a very low ebb atm. I can’t see where the improvement is going to come from. Simpson is simply trotting out the same bland stuff. Try harder for longer, be more consistent, there must be something badly wrong.
Confidence is a massive thing in sport. I know we cooked it big time with the early games and only have ourselves to blame, but if we get lucky and undeservedly hold on in the Bulldogs and Saints games the entire season outlook is completely different and there’d be more of a buzz running through the club. There’s been countless games from the current top 4 where they haven’t necessarily deserved to win, but have.. and for me that’s a big difference.

We’re playing scared at the moment, scared to lose the ball and scared to make mistakes, which ironically is leading to more mistakes and it’s just snowballing. The only times we’ve looked good this year is when we’ve had dare. Last quarter against Richmond when we just threw the Hail Mary. We somehow need to bottle that mindset and have that as the norm rather than a quarter per game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back