Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He is very rarely the best on the ground.
7 times last year got 3 brownlow votes.

This year, 4 times he's been outright with most coaches votes - all 10s so don't give me McRae favouritism. A couple of times equal top. And that's in a team that has been middle of the road - it'd be higher if we were flying. He's going extremely well.

Funnily enough I now think that Fadge is closer to being reasonable than the droves of oppo supporters in here are

Let’s say he’s not the best player in the competition (I don’t think he is personally)

Be reasonable

Where is he then?

It would be a very hard sell to have him outside of the top 5, and outside the top 10 would be totally unreasonable

In any order, for mine:
Daicos
Cripps
Bont
Neale
Serong
Sheezel
Heeney
Warner
Treloar
Butters or JHF - take your pick

I just don’t see how he being in the discussion of top 10, let alone top 5 is some kind of gotcha?

He’s quite clearly a special player

Clearly untrue. Where did you get this idea from
These blokes obviously rate him so highly that he needs to be BOG for them to view his game as a par game.

A year and a half into his career, he was the best half back play maker in the league - by a considerable margin. He's transitioned to midfield, and tracking well to become the best in the league there at some stage - not there yet, but going very nicely.

Sheezel tracking beautifully on the same path. Some pretty exceptional kids coming through.

Coaches votes could be interesting today.

How many votes does Heeney get, after playing an amazing final quarter, though not being in the best dozen players on the ground for the first 3 quarters?

I see AFL.COM listed him third in their best, behind Rowbottom and Roberts (who both put in more consistent 4 quarter efforts) and ahead of Warner.

How many votes does Heeney get, after playing an amazing final quarter, though not being in the best dozen players on the ground for the first 3 quarters?

I see AFL.COM listed him third in their best, behind Rowbottom and Roberts (who both put in more consistent 4 quarter efforts) and ahead of Warner.
He'll get 10. That last quarter by him was as get as it gets.

Cripps might not poll well the last two weeks given I expect us to lose both

Whereas your team should be more competitive and without JDG and Mitchell Daicos is forced to burden more load

So Heeney gets given the 5 votes from McRae to take the lead in the Coaches Award.

Where are all the posters who have been in here in previous weeks questioning his integrity?

A bias does not mean he is going to give one of his players more votes than they should get all the time, just whenever there is a 49/51 option, or even a 40/60 option (opposition players way) Mcrae will go for the Collingwood player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bias does not mean he is going to give one of his players more votes than they should get all the time, just whenever there is a 49/51 option, or even a 40/60 option (opposition players way) Mcrae will go for the Collingwood player.
Warner got 4 from one coach and 2 from another. Pretty clear that Longmire gave 4 to Warner to rig it to keep him higher up. In fact it looks like Longmire gave 10 of the 15 votes to his team in such a close game - a game where Collingwood controlled most of it and had two standouts who played well above the rest of the team. When you look at it like that, it's not surprising that 3 Sydney players are high up the leader board, with one of them on top ...

So Heeney gets given the 5 votes from McRae to take the lead in the Coaches Award.

Where are all the posters who have been in here in previous weeks questioning his integrity?

Exactly. Heeney played well and deserved the 5 votes in my opinion.

Warner got 4 from one coach and 2 from another. Pretty clear that Longmire gave 4 to Warner to rig it to keep him higher up. In fact it looks like Longmire gave 10 of the 15 votes to his team in such a close game - a game where Collingwood controlled most of it and had two standouts who played well above the rest of the team. When you look at it like that, it's not surprising that 3 Sydney players are high up the leader board, with one of them on top ...

So you're questioning Longmire's integrity?

So you're questioning Longmire's integrity?
I'm pointing out the stupidity of questioning McRae's voting.

The reality is we don't know which coach gave votes to whom. Nor are the rankings of players in a game ever objective. There was carry on a couple of weeks ago because one coach gave 2 to Sidebottom and one coach gave 2 to Daicos - bizarrely that was apparently a smoking gun of evidence of McRae rigging the system in Nick's favour ...

Pure nuffie posting from the pot shot merchants in this thread.

I'm pointing out the stupidity of questioning McRae's voting.

The reality is we don't know which coach gave votes to whom. Nor are the rankings of players in a game ever objective. There was carry on a couple of weeks ago because one coach gave 2 to Sidebottom and one coach gave 2 to Daicos - bizarrely that was apparently a smoking gun of evidence of McRae rigging the system in Nick's favour ...

Pure nuffie posting from the pot shot merchants in this thread.
There's quite a history of brow raising votes being given to Nicky when he's been ordinary. To suggest it's all from opposition coaches and not the common denominator is laughable.

The other week Voss didn't even bother shifting our tagger in Cincotta on to Nicky during the game but Pies fans would have us believe he was the coach that gave Nicky 5 votes??? Clear as day it was a Fly job, just like the rest of the times its happened.

There's quite a history of brow raising votes being given to Nicky when he's been ordinary. To suggest it's all from opposition coaches and not the common denominator is laughable.

The other week Voss didn't even bother shifting our tagger in Cincotta on to Nicky during the game but Pies fans would have us believe he was the coach that gave Nicky 5 votes??? Clear as day it was a Fly job, just like the rest of the times its happened.

a) There's two games that have been pointed to - the ridiculous Sidey and Nick getting 2 votes from different coaches - must have been Fly cheating - seemed to really kick trolls like you off.

b) The Carlton game and non-Cincotta move. Did you watch it? Pies forwards were too quick for the Blues defenders - with Hill, WHE, Elliott, Schultz, McCreery and JDG running amok against a defence that couldn't go with them - was Voss going to shift a quick defender out of defence to replace him with someone like Kennedy? Hewitt? Blues having too many plodders gave them no decent option with Cincotta.

Last edited:
a) There's two games that have pointed to - the ridiculous Sidey and Nick getting 2 votes from different coaches - must have been Fly cheating - seemed to really kick trolls like you off.

b) The Carlton game and non-Cincotta move. Did you watch it? Pies forwards were too quick for the Blues defenders - with Hill, WHE, Elliott, Schultz, McCreery and JDG running amok against a defence that couldn't go with them - was Voss going to shift a quick defender out of defence to replace him with someone like Kennedy? Hewitt? Blues having too many plodders gave them no decent option with Cincotta.
Best way to stop the Pies forwards is by cutting off their supply at the source. As was seen when Cripps put his foot down in the last quarter and almost single handedly won the game.

Even your own Pies fans were saying Fly was playing funny games with the votes. It's not rocket science to know which coach gave Nicky the 5... Even Fadge's faulty abacus would be able to figure it out.

Best way to stop the Pies forwards is by cutting off their supply at the source. As was seen when Cripps put his foot down in the last quarter and almost single handedly won the game.

Even your own Pies fans were saying Fly was playing funny games with the votes. It's not rocket science to know which coach gave Nicky the 5... Even Fadge's faulty abacus would be able to figure it out.
There will be heaps of more questionable 3 vote games in the Brownlow - always is. And some will take it as evidence of a conspiracy in favour of the player or against another player. Often because they are a bit too simple to look past their own opinion and understand that all these rankings are subjective.

What are your other "brow raising" votes for Nick. Bearing in mind that you did start on this rubbish well before the Carlton game and did just say that there is quite a history of it ... Are we talking Sidey/Nickgate - the great 2 vote swindle that had Fly's fingerprints all over it?

Last edited:

And your thoughts on the even greater potential variation between votes awarded to Cripps by Voss compared to opposition coaches, as highlighted by Gone Critical in this very thread?

I say 'potential variation', because we do not actually know, do we?

Walshy is just salty over Nick and so is blinded to logic. The thought that he may believe some of the stuff he writes about biased voting is more worrying than him just doing it cause he is hissy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back