Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

People keep saying we're on the up and that these losses will turn into wins with experience.
That is a fallacy. The list we have is simply not good enough at the moment. There is talent but nowhere near enough.
In that side today were a host of guys simply not good enough to play in a premiership side. Another 50 games won't change that.
McDonald
Simpkin
Hansen
Corr
Pink
Phillips
Shiel
Teakle
Tucker
Zurhaar (harsh maybe, but I don't see it)
On exposed form, Duursma, but he is one who might improve with some more games.
That's nearly half the side.
Throw in:
Stephenson
Greenwood
Taylor
Stephens
Nyoun
CCJ
Lazzarro
Sellers
Harvey
Drury
Free
Kal Dawson?
That is an absolute ton of dead wood. Playing 150 more games won't change that.

Sure Sheezel is amazing but he doesn't have anywhere near enough support...and on top of that they are mentally fragile.
Extraordinary.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This has got nothing to do with Rawlings anymore!! This is about the f@#king players who seemed to switch off when the lead was out to 35 instead of pressing down on the throat, we got cute, we played sloppy, played too far in front of the ball and simply allowed them to comeback!!
This is down to Clarkson and his coaching and the so-called 25yo's who wants to play in a GF and on long contracts, start demand more from each other...blind kicks at stoppage, lackidasical kicks to player that goes OB for a Allen goal..thats the shit that has to stop!

This should have been a 50pt+ win, l've been patient for 5 years but games after the bye have proved that when this team plays and concentrate, they take on the persona of team that looks like it's about to tear a new one against the oppo. What made it worst is, WE SHOULD HAVE F@#KING CANED THE PANTS OUT OF THOSE C#$TS.

If there was anything to take away from this year in terms of progress, it was this game and the chance to finished above WCE....I need a break before this keyboard gets rammed through this monitor...so pissed at this loss!!
So originally this has everything to do with Rawling but now after 5 years of rot it has nothing to do with Rawling. Rightio. :stern look

Regardless you have every right to be pissed. And sure other factors also come into play. But this is Rawling’s list and sadly it’s an ordinary list. We have been bad for too long. The 5th consecutive year finishing bottom 2. Within that period of time the worst 100 game stretch in competition history. Sure it’s on the players. It’s the players assembled. And who assembled them? :stern look

Well Clarko did a fair clean out and "encouraging" players to retire/look elsewhere last season, and I can understand certain players not being dropped after tough games against Carlton and Geelong, but I cant imagine anyone who didnt seem up to the task in the last fortnight of winnable games, and don't have youth on their side, would be retained. But anything is possible I guess.

I reckon a full season Coaching and observing will see the big texta brought out at the Exit interviews

People keep saying we're on the up and that these losses will turn into wins with experience.
That is a fallacy. The list we have is simply not good enough at the moment. There is talent but nowhere near enough.
In that side today were a host of guys simply not good enough to play in a premiership side. Another 50 games won't change that.
McDonald
Simpkin
Hansen
Corr
Pink
Phillips
Shiel
Teakle
Tucker
Throw in:
Stephenson
Greenwood
Taylor
Stephens
Nyoun
CCJ
Lazzarro
Sellers
Harvey
Drury
Free
Kal Dawson?

Sure Sheezel is amazing but he doesn't have anywhere near enough support...and on top of that they are mentally fragile.

I see a few role players in there ie. Teakle, Zurhaar, Dawson, Tucker, etc, but with that amount of dead wood, it's hard not to argue for trading down in the 1st for a couple of picks around the 6-12 mark...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So originally this has everything to do with Rawling but now after 5 years of rot it has nothing to do with Rawling. Rightio. :stern look

Regardless you have every right to be pissed. And sure other factors also come into play. But this is Rawling’s list and sadly it’s an ordinary list. We have been bad for too long. The 5th consecutive year finishing bottom 2. Within that period of time the worst 100 game stretch in competition history. Sure it’s on the players. It’s the players assembled. And who assembled them? :stern look

…but but but it’s Clarko’s fault

McDonald
Simpkin
Hansen
Corr
Pink
Phillips
Shiel
Teakle
Tucker
Throw in:
Stephenson
Greenwood
Taylor
Stephens
Nyoun
CCJ
Lazzarro
Sellers
Harvey
Drury
Free
Kal Dawson?

C’mon Mate. Just gots to pump a few more games into these guys and problem solved. :stern look

Leadership, standards, culture, mindset and spirit. All non-Physical elements the coaches and sport psychologists need to work on now and over the summer. It’s all mental and we are just really poor in this area.

So it’s time for the Board to step up and address this over the Summer. Sonya, Jenn and Clarko need to lead from the front and leave no stone unturned in how we lift in this area.

Hypnosis, MK Ultra, read RayGuns thesis 😎 or even bring in a
Sharman. As Kanga Kennedy famously said. “Do something. Don’t say, Do”

Last edited:
Leadership, standards, culture, mindset and spirit. All non-Physical elements the coaches and sport psychologists need to work on now and over the summer. It’s all mental and we are just really poor in this area.

So it’s time for the Board to step up and address this over the Summer. Sonya, Jenn and Clarko need to lead from the front and leave no stone unturned in how we lift in this area.

Hypnosis, MK Ultra, read RayGuns thesis or even bring in Sharman. As Kanga Kennedy famously said. “Do something. Don’t say, Do”
This team needs the collective minds crew to come in and harden them up lol

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no claim at being a competent coach, but I thought that the loss was as much Clarkson's responsibility as it was the players. For example, I though that Clarkson and Larkey could have tried one or more of the following strategies:
1. If Larkey has a better tank than McGovern (don't know if he does as I only watch West Coast when I have to), then Larkey should have kept running till he wore McGovern out and able to get good separation
2. If Larkey is faster and or has better recovery, we could have used Pagan's Paddock and got Powell to kick more of his torps
3. If neither the above apply, then Larkey should have been a decoy and taken McGovern away from the ball (although this does assume that our other forwards are competent). In his latter years, it's what Carey used to do when Jachovich was beating him.

The other gripe was that, in the last few minutes, at centre bounces, West Coast had a defender run into the square and take the ball away if we managed to knock the ball forward. I think it happened twice. Better coaching would have Clarkson cover that possibility before it happened,; certainly not going one-on-one with the player was inexcusable after it happened the first time.

Last edited:
Running around the back for cheapies is not having a crack. It’s stat padding.

Today his hurt factor was zero and he had it 37 times.
It didn't look like that.

So I checked his stats.

He had three of what they call "score launches" which means starting a chain that leads to a score. Fourth highest on the ground. Also had six score involvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no claim at being a competent coach, but I thought that the loss was as much Clarkson's responsibility as it was the players. For example, I though that Clarkson and Larkey could have tried one or more of the following strategies:
1. If Larkey has a better tank than McGovern (don't know if he does as I only watch West Coast when I have to), then Larkey should have kept running till he wore McGovern out and able to get good separation
2. If Larkey is faster and or has better recovery, we could have used Pagan's Paddock and got Powell to kick more of his torps
3. If neither the above apply, then Larkey should have been a decoy and taken McGovern away from the ball (although this does assume that our other forwards are competent)

The other gripe was that, in the last few minutes, at centre bounces, West Coast had a defender run into the square and take the ball away if we managed to knock the ball forward. I think it happened twice. Better coaching would have Clarkson cover that possibility before it happened,; certainly not going one-on-one with the player was inexcusable after it happened the first time.

Bottom line is that we’ve had two successive FF who can’t take pack marks, but go okay when it’s lace out

If our FB can ever stay on the park again it’s Chom down there for mine

Loss ✅
Against team we should’ve beaten ✅
In the last minute ✅
In Hobart ✅
Lmac destroys our momentum with one kick ✅
The #1 pick we could’ve had takes speccy ✅

It’s actually a poetic tragedy how disappointing this club continues to be. Watching this organisation since 1999 has been a slowly unfolding “Paradise Lost”.
He was shithouse. His first five kicks all missed their targets.

If he'd been playing for us today I reckon people would have lost it even more than they appear to be losing it.

But so were the 3 misses by Curtis and 1 by Zurhaar but here we are
I love PC but I wish he’d stop with some of the fancy stuff that doesn’t stick and the cute kicks. Just kick a drop punt through the big sticks, it’s not rocket science. Less said about Bull the better. He should have nailed that goal. Can’t believe we’ve signed this chronic under performer for another 5 years. Was hoping he’d pull his finger out when he signed that contract but no, just more of the same mediocre shit - what a coup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back