Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

DO NOT FEED OR ENGAGE WITH TROLLS - REPORT AND MOVE ON

Engaging makes the clean up much more difficult & requires threads to be locked when doing so

And as a reminder, Mods also have lives & don’t see everything as it happens - if you have questions over posted content, use the report function, move on and let the mod team take care of it

Players who played Port and didn’t play on the weekend against WC

Rohan
Hawkins
Mullin “Sub”
Parfitt
O’Connor
Clark
SDK
Guthrie

Players who played against WC on the weekend who didn’t play against Port last time

Neale
Mannagh
2E
Dangerfield
Humphries
Bowes
Bruhn
Bews”Sub”

It was a big ask to expect Freo to pull one out for us. They've played well at times this year, but the last three weeks have exposed them for not being able to handle pressure very well. Against us and Port at their home ground were similar; they were very fumbly and wasteful under pressure. Had a lot of opportunities but their players seemed to wilt in the face of the actual pressure on the ground but also the pressure of the occasion.

Carlton sort of feels like the wilcard entry into the finals. They stand in stark contrast to many of the other sides in terms of recent form and would have to be considered the least likely to do anything, especially traveling to QLD first up.

For us, we had to expect that we wouldn't get a home final after last week's effort, and we don't deserve it really. Port are looking good this year. Very good midfield and it will be difficult for us to contain that with the crew we have.

That MF is full of Rolls Royces and is enviable.
Plus the crowd and the hunger for a win and whatever that leads to.

You talk up Geelongs upcoming opponent on a weekly basis like they are the best team since Collingwoods 4 flags in a row record winning " Machine " team of the 1920s

The facts however , all 8 teams who have qualified for the finals this year are Average , and all 8 teams have holes in their side thus they are beatable

Rohan
Hawkins
Mullin “Sub”
Parfitt
O’Connor
Clark
SDK
Guthrie

Players who played against WC on the weekend who didn’t play against Port last time

Neale
Mannagh
2E
Dangerfield
Humphries
Bowes
Bruhn
Bews”Sub”

When you factor in that bews wont play QF and sdk will we are much stronger than last time.

Gotta love the AFL and their love of fairness.

Hawthorn finishes 7th and by right should have a pretty rough run to a flag.

But no....
1st week- "away" final at MCG against Marvel tenant
2nd week possible "away" final against team from completely different city
3rd week: actually have to leave Melbourne
4th week: probable "away" grand final against non VIC team

All the more reason to beat Port or back up plan of go Dogs

Last edited:

Rohan
Hawkins
Mullin “Sub”
Parfitt
O’Connor
Clark
SDK
Guthrie

Neale
Mannagh
2E
Dangerfield
Humphries
Bowes
Bruhn
Bews”Sub”

That is night and day. Almost our entire 1st choice midfield, one less KPF

What is with the obsession some have with Mullin. He shouldn't be in our first 30 picked for finals.
At present not AFL standard. He plays a final and we lose.

It was a big ask to expect Freo to pull one out for us. They've played well at times this year, but the last three weeks have exposed them for not being able to handle pressure very well. Against us and Port at their home ground were similar; they were very fumbly and wasteful under pressure. Had a lot of opportunities but their players seemed to wilt in the face of the actual pressure on the ground but also the pressure of the occasion.

Carlton sort of feels like the wilcard entry into the finals. They stand in stark contrast to many of the other sides in terms of recent form and would have to be considered the least likely to do anything, especially traveling to QLD first up.

For us, we had to expect that we wouldn't get a home final after last week's effort, and we don't deserve it really. Port are looking good this year. Very good midfield and it will be difficult for us to contain that with the crew we have.

What we have in our pocket is we didnt have danger bowes or bruhn last time or stewart as a mid and we subbed out our ruck in the 2nd qtr. We didnt have the big bodies.

Stewart is the big one there as he protects the stoppage exit. If we can stop port getting out the front of stoppage and scoring from there, we can play the game on turnover and there our superior skill in the front half will get it done. But i agree its a big thing to stop their MF.

But im pretty confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Port being our next opponent - does Mullin come into the starting 22 to play the same tagging role he did last time after coming on as sub?

No bc hes too green for this but it does mean we need bowes for that role on either rozee or butters so he wont be sub.

I can mount an argument for Bews as Rioli is a match winner and smashed us earlier this season. A few tough decisions coming up for the MC.

If jed was less cooked id agree but he isnt.
I doubt it happens (it could only be for duncan and i think its unlikely).
If we win field position rioli wont be much of an issue anyway.

Have you watched us lately? BZT has been very good and we are way in front with the Duursma trade.

Bzt is the sort of player a mediocre team likes. Hes a battler but he wont ever be premiership standard. You dont give away first round picks for players like him and sav.

Its a few year back , but who played on Charlie Cameron in those finals , especially the ones at the Gabba

Like Cameron then was a pretty dangerous/explosive opponent , did Bews play on him , whoever it was they did a good job

I love Bewsy, but he played only a half and looked stuffed halfway through q4

Any role for Parfitt as a tagger?

Bews is cooked.
Zuthrie will get rioli.

No parfitt is done unless we get injuries. Atkins or Bowes will get the defensive mid role (i would have said oconnor but he got injured at a bad time).

Its a few year back , but who played on Charlie Cameron in those finals , especially the ones at the Gabba

Like Cameron then was a pretty dangerous/explosive opponent , did Bews play on him , whoever it was they did a good job

Nothing personal but comparing bews then to now would be like comparing dahlhaus 2018 to dahlhaus in 2022. Night and day. Jed is not the player he was.

I wish I had your confidence Pure, I think Port will be to strong.. Im all happy on Neale, but he will have to step up more then he ever has..
I just think there Midfield will be the main reason why Port will win

The midfield is a challenge but if we break even there we will win.

Our forwards vs their defense is not even close.
I feel sorry for sav if hinkley doesnt hide him in a fwd pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back