Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane are completely mentally cooked. 10 goal start against a physically cooked opponent and they find a way to absolutely shit themselves before getting the win. They're bloody happy with themselves about what should be a regulation win too.

Id love it if bris somehow beat gws as we would absolutely flog them.
Sadly its likely we get gws which will be harder.

Well, that game showed why we cannot be bringing back any under done players in the prelim.

Sorry Hawk, sorry Guth, love you both but 2024 is not your year.

SDK I'm undecided on.

And we've also got to remember that there's a difference between being fit or not injured, and being match fit/conditioned

After today, I'm comfortable to suggest that Guthrie is fit, but he doesn't look match fit/conditioned

While that is correct, history is littered with teams in finals who cost themselves important wins because they kick inaccurately.

If you look at the top 4 teams for goals kicked this season, we are the most accurate ahead of Sydney, Bulldogs and Hawks.

Gives me a bit more confidence especially with how Mannagh and Stengle are flushing them at the moment that should the PF be a tight affair we are going to kick straighter than our opponents.

That said if Neale, Close and OHenry could tidy up their conversion it would really help.

Cameron is prone to games like Thursday where he kicked 4.3, but every few weeks he has a big one and I would not be shocked if Jezza kicked 6.1 or 7.2 in the PF. Just feels like with him sitting deep and we will have a home PF against an interstate opposition the potential is there for him to completely tear the game open.

Whilst I'm an optimist like you, I am also Irish. Keep your Jezza bags to yourself please *crosses self ;)

Lost at selection absolutely. Expected better from Voss. Not only TDK as sub but a good tagger in Cincotto absent.
So when he smashed the glass on TDK, what happens if injury occurs, but I suppose being 0 goals they weren't winning anyway,

I hope we dont make sdk sub like they did with tdk. Madness.

Well, that game showed why we cannot be bringing back any under done players in the prelim.

Sorry Hawk, sorry Guth, love you both but 2024 is not your year.

SDK I'm undecided on.
Its really going to come down to injuries for Hawk and Guth, if Neale doesn't come up then Hawkins is the replacement, and if we lose a mid/Duncan then Guthrie comes in potentially.

SDK is a hard one. In terms of team structure it would be VERY similar to 2022 but roles switched, with Stanley as the ruck, but then Blicavs at KPD, Neale at FF and SDK in the 2nd ruck/mobile tall role that Blicavs did.

Blicavs has been great in defence and I really think its also why we are getting excellent performances from Henry/Kolo as well. The defense is settled and it would be silly to swap out Blicavs and put SDK in unless Blicavs is desperately needed in midfield.
From the reports I saw SDK wasn't very good in the ruck in the VFL, and Stanley is currently "Good Stanley" so it would be insane to take Stanley out when he was the best ruck on the field, beat Sweet around the ground and even though he lost the hit outs he negated a lot of them so Port didn't get clean exits.
And we have to back Neale in at FF unless injured and then Hawkins is the replacement.

So either SDK is on the bench, and plays the Blicavs "2nd ruck/mobile tall role" that Blicavs used to do, or you don't mess with the current team balance and you omit SDK.
And if you bring SDK in, who goes out?
Mullin is likely to go out for Stewart, but thats the only obvious change from the QF to the PF.

Good problem for the MC to have, but also a bad problem for the MC to have. When the selections for the PF are released there will be some very disappointed boys.

Rare. Those inflexible big blokes take ages to warm up.
We did it with Blicavs back in the day though.
To be fair to TDK he came on and INSTANTLY impacted, took no time for him to warm up or find his feet in the game. Its why Voss is going to get hammered in the press for this.

Was he under doubts? I know he was coming back from injury but when I saw the Ins for Carltank I assumed TDK would be straight into the ruck or forwardline.
Horrendous decision to have him as a sub. Even if you start him and he conks out in the 3/4 he still likely keeps Carlton in the game up to that point.

And we've also got to remember that there's a difference between being fit or not injured, and being match fit/conditioned

After today, I'm comfortable to suggest that Guthrie is fit, but he doesn't look match fit/conditioned

But word is he's the most dedicated aggressive trainer/rehaber ever. Which didnt really help him last time in.
I get you,but just glad to have him as back up, in case of Armageddon.

Didn't watch any of it.

Good to see Carlton's season is done. F em.
To be fair it was fun trying to guess how many goals Brisvegas would kick before Carlton managed a score.

The shame is that they scored before half time, so I think we still currently hold the lowest score in a half of a final, a record from 1903 apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to TDK he came on and INSTANTLY impacted, took no time for him to warm up or find his feet in the game. Its why Voss is going to get hammered in the press for this.

Was he under doubts? I know he was coming back from injury but when I saw the Ins for Carltank I assumed TDK would be straight into the ruck or forwardline.
Horrendous decision to have him as a sub. Even if you start him and he conks out in the 3/4 he still likely keeps Carlton in the game up to that point.

Yes I was thinking TDK as the exception while I typed,
No excuses, because if named, considered fit. Crazy otherwise. I mean if that was me, and I'm fit and have starred all season, I'd get on and kill it just to spite them. Voss must address it to their supporters, and what excuse, other than we thought we'd be top heavy/too tall rhubarb

Its really going to come down to injuries for Hawk and Guth, if Neale doesn't come up then Hawkins is the replacement, and if we lose a mid/Duncan then Guthrie comes in potentially.

SDK is a hard one. In terms of team structure it would be VERY similar to 2022 but roles switched, with Stanley as the ruck, but then Blicavs at KPD, Neale at FF and SDK in the 2nd ruck/mobile tall role that Blicavs did.

Blicavs has been great in defence and I really think its also why we are getting excellent performances from Henry/Kolo as well. The defense is settled and it would be silly to swap out Blicavs and put SDK in unless Blicavs is desperately needed in midfield.
From the reports I saw SDK wasn't very good in the ruck in the VFL, and Stanley is currently "Good Stanley" so it would be insane to take Stanley out when he was the best ruck on the field, beat Sweet around the ground and even though he lost the hit outs he negated a lot of them so Port didn't get clean exits.
And we have to back Neale in at FF unless injured and then Hawkins is the replacement.

So either SDK is on the bench, and plays the Blicavs "2nd ruck/mobile tall role" that Blicavs used to do, or you don't mess with the current team balance and you omit SDK.
And if you bring SDK in, who goes out?
Mullin is likely to go out for Stewart, but thats the only obvious change from the QF to the PF.

Good problem for the MC to have, but also a bad problem for the MC to have. When the selections for the PF are released there will be some very disappointed boys.
Sadly for SDK, he misses the prelim. If we go further, great, we have got there without him, Hawk, Guthrie, and again, unless injuries, ditto GF.

Interesting Giants don't have to play at the SCG. I guess the AFL aren't expecting a crowd?
When its a Geelong wanting a home final in Geelong its "your stadium is too smol, think of all the fans who will miss out" but when its GWS its "oh ENGIE is so quaint, its such a delightful boutique stadium, remember the atmosphere when they played there in 2016?"

Sadly it’s likely we get gws which will be harder.
Could be a sat twilight prelim because it will be an interstate side.
Gws are dangerous and will easily beat Brisbane.
And I’m glad it will be at the MCG considering their exceptional record in Geelong.

Yes I was thinking TDK as the exception while I typed,
No excuses, because if named, considered fit. Crazy otherwise. I mean if that was me, and I'm fit and have starred all season, I'd get on and kill it just to spite them. Voss must address it to their supporters, and what excuse, other than we thought we'd be top heavy/too tall rhubarb
Its just wild because if he isn't "fit" enough to play a full game and you have him as sub, what happens if someone does a hammy or gets a concussion in the first 5 mins?

He was their best big player besides Curnow, tonight was some real "we have a lot of injuries lets just roll the dice" kind of match, and they start him as sub.

Insanity.

If he wasn't 100% still better to have him start and sub him out at half time or 3/4 time and bring on some run.

Sadly its likely we get gws which will be harder.

Full credit to them , they have been very consistent from day one since entering the job

But they are a strange team in that they can dominate a side , like us earlier in the year , that 2nd qtr they could have kicked 10 goals , but in the last qtr and a half ive never seen a team fall to bits and make the errors they made

They did have Coll nearly on the rack in that final last year , but the Magpies steadied and prevailed

I do agree with you , id much prefer Bris as the opponent

Its just wild because if he isn't "fit" enough to play a full game and you have him as sub, what happens if someone does a hammy or gets a concussion in the first 5 mins?

He was their best big player besides Curnow, tonight was some real "we have a lot of injuries lets just roll the dice" kind of match, and they start him as sub.

Insanity.

If he wasn't 100% still better to have him start and sub him out at half time or 3/4 time and bring on some run.

Freud: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. So.....
Maybe they were just being too cute with selection.
Element of surprise was: And the others just played shite.

OMG this Dawks/Pooort game, who do we want?
It's pick your poison by sewerage or moonshine.
Its a weird one, I actually think Port can beat Sydney or at the very least seriously push them, but I don't think they match up well with Hawthorn especially depending on some injuries from our match, but I think if Hawks make the PF Sydney will batter them and have an easy route into the GF.

So I think I would rather Port over Hawks, because we will have a difficult PF and if thats the case then I really want Sydney to have to work for their GF spot as well and I think, as is the case with young teams, Hawthorn is due for a down game.

Its a weird one, I actually think Port can beat Sydney or at the very least seriously push them, but I don't think they match up well with Hawthorn especially depending on some injuries from our match, but I think if Hawks make the PF Sydney will batter them and have an easy route into the GF.

So I think I would rather Port over Hawks, because we will have a difficult PF and if thats the case then I really want Sydney to have to work for their GF spot as well and I think, as is the case with young teams, Hawthorn is due for a down game.

That's sensible. I can't help thinking that young Hawk side is running on fumes and Mitchell voodoo. It's all very well coaching them to just have fun, but finals requires more concentration. Okay they've done well to fluke a position and win, but Port will be mortified enough, and skilled enough, to make amends and clear Not Kenough at the same time.

Full credit to them , they have been very consistent from day one since entering the job

But they are a strange team in that they can dominate a side , like us earlier in the year , that 2nd qtr they could have kicked 10 goals , but in the last qtr and a half ive never seen a team fall to bits and make the errors they made

They did have Coll nearly on the rack in that final last year , but the Magpies steadied and prevailed

I do agree with you , id much prefer Bris as the opponent

Gws are hot and cole sometimes but their speed of run and ball movement in transition will trouble us if we dont dominate field position.

Brisbane are just mentally soft and for that reason i know they will fall apart against us but gws wont we will have to beat them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back