Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fremantle laughing at getting a top 6 pick for Schultz. I thought that trade looked stupid at the time, but it looks even worse now that they gave away Ginnivan for nothing who is a better player. Small forwards are the also easiest position to get a decent player using very little draft capital.

Almost all the best small forwards this century came from either the rookie draft or late picks.

Eddie Betts - Preseason draft
Steven Milne - Rookie draft
Charlie Cameron - Rookie draft
Mark LeCras - Pick 37
Luke Breust - Rookie draft
Michael Walters - Pick 53
Tyson Stengle - Rookie draft

Unpopular opinion:

Collingwood's oversized number of close wins showed they weren't actually that good or ahead of the comp.

Flags take some talent, but require way more luck. Pies rode that wave of luck to the top in 23 and are this year showing their true selves
No. I think they have been up for a long time, and this year, like Cats 23, they are both fatigued and have missed key players

Unpopular opinion:

Collingwood's oversized number of close wins showed they weren't actually that good or ahead of the comp.

Flags take some talent, but require way more luck. Pies rode that wave of luck to the top in 23 and are this year showing their true selves
I reckon the truth is somewhere in between. While I do think they're playing below their potential now, they really did get so much positive variance last season. Enough positive variance can see a premiership at almost any top 8 side.

On a somewhat related note, I watched the 2009 GF the other day and was blown away by how good a side Stk were. We were a great team too, don't get me wrong. But lady luck smiled upon us that day.

BT would be saying Collingwood are still a chance here if he was commentating.
Had to turn game off, Pies doubled their score in the 10 minutes I was watching :eekv1:

Fremantle laughing at getting a top 6 pick for Schultz. I thought that trade looked stupid at the time, but it looks even worse now that they gave away Ginnivan for nothing who is a better player. Small forwards are the also easiest position to get a decent player using very little draft capital.

Almost all the best small forwards this century came from either the rookie draft or late picks.

Eddie Betts - Preseason draft
Steven Milne - Rookie draft
Charlie Cameron - Rookie draft
Mark LeCras - Pick 37
Luke Breust - Rookie draft
Michael Walters - Pick 53
Tyson Stengle - Rookie draft

Clubs have started going a lot earlier for small forwards in the draft, guys who would have slipped cause they were sub 180 cm a decade ago, now go early. Think of the change that has occurred since Caleb Daniel was drafted and Watson was drafted last year

Last edited:
Clubs have started going a lot earlier for small forwards in the draft, guys who would have slipped cause they were sub 180 cm a decade a go, now go early. Think of the change that has occured since Caleb Daniel was drafted and Watson was draft last year
If you're using early picks on a small forward you want them to move into the midfield eventually like what Rankine is currently doing, or along the likes of Gray, Chapman, Greene etc. I still don't think it's worth taking pure small forwards early.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're using early picks on a small forward you want them to move into the midfield eventually like what Rankine is currently doing, or along the likes of Gray, Chapman, Greene etc. I still don't think it's worth taking pure small forwards early.

I don't think it is especially for where our list is right now, but the competition trend has gone in that way. I think the watershed moment was Pickett to Melbourne. Since they clubs have been willing to spend big on small forwards with zero midfield potential.

Didn’t he request the trade from memory? I hate him with a passion but I would be pissed off if I was in that crowd

This makes for an interesting read on how things played out

Ginnivan added it was the “biggest decision of (his) life” on whether to leave Collingwood.

But the fact none of his now-former teammates or coaches picked up the phone sealed the deal.

“I have one year there (Collingwood) and no one has reached out wanting me to stay,” he said.

“And I have Hawthorn - where I have had 10 players message me saying ‘come to the Hawks’. I have a four-year deal and it’s my childhood dream to play for Hawthorn.

“The most disappointing thing was probably just no coach or player reaching out to say ‘I want you to stay and we really value you’ and those things.

“There were so many Hawks boys that messaged me … that made me feel really special and I am loving it at the Hawks.”

McRae was asked about Ginnivan’s quotes on SEN’s The Run Home on Tuesday afternoon.

“I can’t comment on what he said because I haven’t heard it. But he did have a contract, remember… so it was up to him to decide to go and have conversations,” he said.

“We never opened the door for him to have a conversation with another footy club. That was up to him.

“I openly say we had an exit interview (where) I expressed things I wasn’t happy with. But it wasn’t see you later, Jack. He was a valued player and a premiership player.

“We shook hands and he decided to go and we said 'yes, okay, on your way', without saying that directly.

This makes for an interesting read on how things played out

Ginnivan added it was the “biggest decision of (his) life” on whether to leave Collingwood.

But the fact none of his now-former teammates or coaches picked up the phone sealed the deal.

“I have one year there (Collingwood) and no one has reached out wanting me to stay,” he said.

“And I have Hawthorn - where I have had 10 players message me saying ‘come to the Hawks’. I have a four-year deal and it’s my childhood dream to play for Hawthorn.

“The most disappointing thing was probably just no coach or player reaching out to say ‘I want you to stay and we really value you’ and those things.

“There were so many Hawks boys that messaged me … that made me feel really special and I am loving it at the Hawks.”

McRae was asked about Ginnivan’s quotes on SEN’s The Run Home on Tuesday afternoon.

“I can’t comment on what he said because I haven’t heard it. But he did have a contract, remember… so it was up to him to decide to go and have conversations,” he said.

“We never opened the door for him to have a conversation with another footy club. That was up to him.

“I openly say we had an exit interview (where) I expressed things I wasn’t happy with. But it wasn’t see you later, Jack. He was a valued player and a premiership player.

“We shook hands and he decided to go and we said 'yes, okay, on your way', without saying that directly.

Taylor Adams said that McCrae didn’t speak to him either or reach out

Taylor Adams said that McCrae didn’t speak to him either or reach out

I read that also

The Ginnivan comments came first, and while I read them with interest I didn't want to read too much into things

When Adams then made similar comments, it started to seem that maybe not everything at Collingwood is as rosy as they make things out to be

I would be pretty pissed off if an ex cats player did that to a Geelong crowd with what Ginvi just did
Terrible look, kissing the badge, sleep gesture
Just makes him look like a tosser, no class

You give them a wave and kill em with kindness as they say
Like an ex who's moved on to someone better!

Seriously - this surely is a free kick every day of the week

But also, when you look at the reverse angle, starting about 17/18 seconds into the clip - should it also be a report because Hipwood clearly knows what he's about to do, he deliberately turns his body & goes shoulder first into Blakey in an action that can easily injure a player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back