Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WA teams always complain about WA players not going back to WA. Must be about 10 players this year that have considered / wanted to go back to WA. Someone like Baker will probably end up having to stay at Richmond because a better player in Bolton wants to go back now. Interesting timing on the English re-sign as well for example.
Any complaints from WA about Lawson Humphries yet?

This Shai Bolton thing is why long contracts are shit.

He's contracted until the end of 2028 but wants out now.

He has done Richmond a big favour.

He is highly valuable to a club that wants to contend (most likely Freo).

To a club that is going through a full rebuild he is absolutely useless.

He is a luxury player, Not a grunt player.

With him formally requesting a trade Richmond can deal him with the support of their fans (“he gave us no choice”) and get some value for him.
Perfect for Freo, I agree. Gives them a dynamite small forward who can also impact with X factor around an already strong midfield. Strong skills like Young, to compliment Serong and Brayshaw's more basic ball use. He's become erratic in a terrible team but in a strong one he'd switch back on.

It is an interesting question re: Bolton. Article says that he has 4 years left at $1.1m - $1.2m per year.

Would he be worth that much on the open market? If no, then would be freo be prepared to give up decent draft picks to acquire him at above market salary?

Maybe he is worth that much on the open market.

Value is in the eye of the potential acquirer I guess.

It is an interesting question re: Bolton. Article says that he has 4 years left at $1.1m - $1.2m per year.

Would he be worth that much on the open market? If no, then would be freo be prepared to give up decent draft picks to acquire him at above market salary?

Actually, with the Richmond exodus, are they going to be able to reach the salary cap floor? Maybe they'll pay part of Bolton's wages if the right picks come back the other way.

Block any inbound calls from Freo trying to offload Sean Darcy please!!!!

Could we persuade there ruckman to jump ship? :think:
Nankervis is 30 and plays the game in a way that would kill his body. I doubt he's got long left. Good player though.

Seth Campbell is the one from Richmond I'd go after. Rookie pick who to my eye looks really their best young talent. Really smooth mover. Interesting he's yet to re-sign and given he's out of contract you'd get him for not much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate the deal is probably agreed in principle because the announcements been made, but 4 years to go on a biggish contract can hamstring a trade pretty easily, I'd have thought.

Only if the player isn't performing at or near that level. Clubs that would be willing to make that trade feel that they are very close to success. They'll pay any price that they can for the chance to go from also rans to possible premiership winner.

In theory its good for Richmond though, because now if someone really wants Bolton they are going to have to pony up for it, and someone will pay up.

In theory its good for Richmond though, because now if someone really wants Bolton they are going to have to pony up for it, and someone will pay up.
That's balanced by Bolton being unhappy if Richmond are too hard arsed about it.

It's no so bad when it's 1 year to go on the contract ala Tim Kelly, but if it's potentially 4 years to go (however unlikely that is to eventuate) it's a problem.

With Baker apparently also heading back west, there's not a lot of draft capital available for Freo (where they presumably want to go).

In theory it’s good for Richmond though, because now if someone really wants Bolton they are going to have to pony up for it, and someone will pay up.
Why is it good for Richmond? Yes, they have him on a longer term deal so that gives them a degree of control. But he is being paid overs ($1.1-$1.2m per year) so why would a club pay a big acquisition cost to get the player AND his expensive contract?

As someone else posted about this earlier, Richmond will probably absorb a portion of the contract to maximise the trade value. It would be the smart thing to do given they are years away from being decent again.

Why is it good for Richmond? Yes, they have him on a longer term deal so that gives them a degree of control. But he is being paid overs ($1.1-$1.2m per year) so why would a club pay a big acquisition cost to get the player AND his expensive contract?

As someone else posted about this earlier, Richmond will probably absorb a portion of the contract to maximise the trade value. It would be the smart thing to do given they are years away from being decent again.

That’s likely true. They should tell Bolton, you signed this deal, if any salary needs to be absorbed, you are paying for it.

Sent from a land far away

That’s likely true. They should tell Bolton, you signed this deal, if any salary needs to be absorbed, you are paying for it.

Sent from a land far away
Yeah that’s not how it works if the club was stupid enough to pay way overs and a long term contract and need to be negotiated in a trade that’s on them not on him

Really want, NEED, to see NM knock over Hawthorn this weekend.

As about as likely as me getting in the good books with my Hawthorn lovin' lady any time soon though 😵‍💫🥴😊
I know this makes me a bad person, but via karmic payment I'd be willing to sacrifice your marriage if it meant Geelong knocked Hawthorn out of finals this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back