Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting tagged now, going to have to learn how to deal with it.

Was disappointed how Drew was the only one looking out for Zac. Tried to rough up Bedford, pushed him when he was trying to rough him up etc.

One of the things i've always thought is that with the 3 amigos, it's hard to tag us. Tag one and the other two will get you. Unfortunately the other two were also down and we weren't able to get going at all.

I still feel that we got smashed in the ruck which was the root of all our issues from a contested ball perspective.

fined $10,000 for the incident on Berry. More than usual because it was his 4th offence. When I saw it I though there was nothing in it and Berry was being a softc*ck. Guess the AFL saw it differently same with how he nearly got suspended.

just about the only player who played their role on the weekend. 35 a goal, 8 clearences and 13 score invlolvements.

just about the only player who played their role on the weekend. 35 a goal, 8 clearences and 13 score invlolvements.

those numbers are all well and nice til you realise the oppo coach doesnt give a stuff about your impact and let Zak run around as he pleased. His “direct” opponent had 37 at 89% 11 score involvements 10 clearances and most importantly his team won by 79. Neale also had 18/37 contested possesions compared to Zaks 12/35 meaning he won more hard ball. Id take Neales overall numbers anyday.

those numbers are all well and nice til you realise the oppo coach doesnt give a stuff about your impact and let Zak run around as he pleased. His “direct” opponent had 37 at 89% 11 score involvements 10 clearances and most importantly his team won by 79. Neale also had 18/37 contested possesions compared to Zaks 12/35 meaning he won more hard ball. Id take Neales overall numbers anyday.
Pretty much agree. They were matched up all day and pretty much cancelled each other out. Nice numbers by Zak but would have been good to see him be a bit more accountable.

Port Adelaide assistant coach Josh Carr believes oppositions teams may start to target Zak Butters more often after the midfielder received his fourth striking charge.

The Power vice-captain was hit with a $10,000 fine, reduced to $6250 with an early guilty plea, for striking Brisbane’s Jarrod Berry in the big loss on Friday.
Berry had been paying close attention to Butters, with the midfielder’s frustration boiling over with an off-ball strike to the Lion tagger’s midriff.
It was the second time Butters had been charged with striking in consecutive weeks, however he had successfully thrown out a charge from an incident involving Giants midfielder Tom Green.
Carr said teams would start looking at Butters more often for close checking roles, with the star developing a reputation of not responding well to the attention.

“I’d like to think it’s probably not going to happen again, he’s spoken about being disappointed in that coming up and I guess what it looks like on the outside as well,” he said.
“We all saw the incident, it wasn’t bad but I guess it comes off the back of the week before, why it was disappointing.
“His intentions and everything were right and he wasn’t trying to hurt anyone, probably was just something that was a reaction, that he doesn’t need to do.
There’s no doubt other clubs will look at it and go ‘we can frustrate him’ but at the same time, he had a pretty good game on the weekend.
“What he’s got to do is let his football do the talking.”

But you’re not other clubs Zak. You’re Port Adelaide. The team that can’t stand up in big games when it matters.

You can turn it around as much as you like - different season, same outcome

Not much else he could say really, and at least he had the courage to front the media and didn’t pot the supporters either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Zak Butters big losses - fast catching up with Toby Greene...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back