Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The easy answer is any of the athletic KPF's like Gerreyn, Whitlock x2 and Armstrong, but digging deeper I'd say Tom Gross and Taj Hotton are two that represent this in a less traditional sense.

For Gross, he's got an unreal contested game and fairly good defensive drive, and his skills, whilst not perfect, are pretty goof around the ground, and they way he attacks the footy when resting forward gives off a Toby Greene aura, if whoever picks him up can iron out his kicking for goal they'll have a seriously good player on their hands.

For Hotton, obviously there's now an element of unknown given he missed the Champs, and ACL rehab can be complicated, but he's blitzed the pre season athletic testing and had top 5 prospect form prior to doing his knee, if the athleticism sticks around and a club works on his use by foot he could be anything as a small forward.
Who do you see Hotton being like if he can reach his peak? Rozee maybe?

Who do you see Hotton being like if he can reach his peak? Rozee maybe?
There's that potential but his disposal is coming from further back, but I'm not great with player comparisons so I won't venture into it

Some very different opinions on players there Bangers. It will be interesting to see how this draft pans out with so many differing opinions on players. I imagine the clubs are the same with very varied ratings.

For the cores, we have so many same paced midfielders. Who are the better ones with pace??

Also do you think Dodson is the best ruckman with the most upside in this draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For the cores, we have so many same paced midfielders. Who are the better ones with pace??

Also do you think Dodson is the best ruckman with the most upside in this draft

Draper and Lalor have that explosive acceleration from contest better than anyone else, whilst O'Sullivan and Smith probably have that eye catching top speed in space, although Draper is pretty good there too, so it depends on the specifics of what you're looking for.

Yes Dodson is the highest upside of the lot, although it's really only him and Logan Smith that are in draft contention

Draper and Lalor have that explosive acceleration from contest better than anyone else, whilst O'Sullivan and Smith probably have that eye catching top speed in space, although Draper is pretty good there too, so it depends on the specifics of what you're looking for.

Yes Dodson is the highest upside of the lot, although it's really only him and Logan Smith that are in draft contention

Adelaide definitely needs pace. All other midfielders are medium pace and we need a point of difference.
Where do you think Dodson goes then? I’d hope at least to second Adelaide pick but if he nominates, think clubs might jump early

Good to see you back PMBangers

How are you seeing the Campo twins? When do you think there will be bids? Likely positions at the next level? Pros/cons to their respective games?
I think Ben is going to be a 30's bid and Lucas will probably end up that classic 'clubs last Pick of the ND', which is more a comment on the draft depth than those two as individuals. I think Lucas will continue his path as a winger at the next level, Ben's a bit harder to place because I'd say his best bet is as a back flanker with his physical traits, but at the same time his kicking limits his value there.
Adelaide definitely needs pace. All other midfielders are medium pace and we need a point of difference.
Where do you think Dodson goes then? I’d hope at least to second Adelaide pick but if he nominates, think clubs might jump early

Anywhere from mid teens to late 20s would be my guess

PMBangers thoughts on putting Smith at #1 on your list?

I haven't watched too much of him but others put the knock on him being his size and disposal efficiency.

Prolific ball winner though and passed the first test against men on the weekend. Poor efficiency but the conditions were atrocious, so can't really be judged on that game in particular.

What do you like about him overs, bearing in mind there's no real standout this year?

Not scared of by Jaggas frame/lack of size?
Did his VFL game on the weekend weigh into making him #1?
Personally I see the talent 100%. His agility and evasiveness is as good a weapon as any in this draft. I can see that skill translating extremely well to current and future midfield styles. It’s just that when finals footy comes around it becomes a lot more to do with pure grunt and contested footy. Just have my concerns with him having the ability to be effective in finals footy.

I think what the lack of production this year has really made people think twice about O’Sullivan. But he just screams class and his balance between inside/outside is very even. Also his athleticism is underrated.
I just couldn’t pass this up at pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im thinking our pick one this year is likely to be a midfielder, Adrian Caruso certainly has a style of player he goes with.
Anyone you see in that mould and available in the (hopefully very) late teens?

Hey PMBangers!! I'm just wondering who you see Fremantle taking in the First round if they have 2 x Top 10 picks and 1 in the teens?

PMBangers thoughts on putting Smith at #1 on your list?

I haven't watched too much of him but others put the knock on him being his size and disposal efficiency.

Prolific ball winner though and passed the first test against men on the weekend. Poor efficiency but the conditions were atrocious, so can't really be judged on that game in particular.

What do you like about him overs, bearing in mind there's no real standout this year?
Not scared of by Jaggas frame/lack of size?
Did his VFL game on the weekend weigh into making him #1?
Personally I see the talent 100%. His agility and evasiveness is as good a weapon as any in this draft. I can see that skill translating extremely well to current and future midfield styles. It’s just that when finals footy comes around it becomes a lot more to do with pure grunt and contested footy. Just have my concerns with him having the ability to be effective in finals footy.
I'll just address these as one given they're pretty similar in nature.
No I'm not worried about Jagga's size at the next level anymore, I think this year he's demonstrated more than ever that he's not just effective as a stoppage player/ inside midfielder due to evasiveness or smarts, but also due to his courage going for contested footy and confidence to take on bigger/ stronger opponents physically, and his stoppage craft in general is just ridiculously high level. As for whether that translates to AFL footy, I can never be 100% sure but have confidence that it can, with plenty of smaller mids maintaining their contested impact from U18's level, even if it did take a few seasons to come along; Butters, Daicos, Neale, Merrett, Gulden, etc. have all adapted, and I'm not going to make an outrageous claim like 'Smith is just as good as all those guys' or that he plays the same, but there's no reason to think he can't translate to a degree.

In terms of his disposal, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some have made out, yes it'd be amazing if he was more expansive with his ball use more often, but retaining possession as a team from stoppage is an important part of the game. Evenso, we've seen that when he's focused on it/ been challenged to be more damaging he's stepped up like in the Metro v Country game, and I imagine he'll continue to be encouraged in this area at AFL Level. This isn't even taking into account that with his profile he'll likely be given the Daicos introduction to AFL with a flanker role early on, which will allow him to work on his damage week-to-week.

Additionally to that, some of the other things I like specifically; leadership, decent defensive drive, unselfish, positioning.

I think what the lack of production this year has really made people think twice about O’Sullivan. But he just screams class and his balance between inside/outside is very even. Also his athleticism is underrated.
I just couldn’t pass this up at pick 1.
Absolutely it has and further highlights the issue with a lot of draft commentary; recruiters don't view the draft in the vacuum of the prospects draft year, there's years of matches, coaches reports, etc. that recruiters note down and keep mind of, reviewing regularly in the lead up to the draft. He's still the same elite endurance, strong marking and clean using midfielder that got spoken up last year, just in a form slump on return from injury that every player goes through to some degree

Im thinking our pick one this year is likely to be a midfielder, Adrian Caruso certainly has a style of player he goes with.
Anyone you see in that mould and available in the (hopefully very) late teens?
Tom Gross and Taj Hotton are the ones I'm getting Caruso vibes from in the teens as midfielders specifically, but Joe Berry is the guy that fits our recent drafting profile most

Hey PMBangers!! I'm just wondering who you see Fremantle taking in the First round if they have 2 x Top 10 picks and 1 in the teens?
Seems there's a lot of love for Joe Berry amongst Freo supporters and for good reason, particularly with Kako now out of the open pool he'd be the best small forward addition you could make this year. I think another general defender would be looked at as well, with Travaglia and Oliver two in contention for that, as well as Allan and Lindsay if people don't see their futures in the midfield. Outside of that, and it's a boring answer, but best available early is generally the way to go, so any of the commonly spoken about top 10 would be considered

I look forward to refreshing this thread regularly Bangers.

Keen to get your thoughts on some of the tall options not included in your top 30 like Faull, Sims, Mraz, and O’Farrell.
Sims and O'Farrell were both very close and regularly rotated through that 30th spot as I tried to be happy with it all. O'Farrell I was really hoping to see at the Champs, how he performs on a Whitlock, Shanahan, Gerreyn, etc. type is something I really wanted to see, but I'll likely rewatch vision prior to the draft and love him again knowing me. Sims reminds me of Tom Lynch in his gamestyle and as a FF prospect that's pretty tantalising, I don't love his disposal though and want to see some improvement before I can be confident in him as a selection. Mraz I also really like, but I also know how nasty navicular injuries can be, and how difficult it is to return to pre-injury athleticism from, so that's the main watch.

Faull I'm not really enamoured with in general tbh and didn't come into consideration as much as the others

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back