Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon Rd 11 - Season Over Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

sh*t? We have been one game out of the top 4 both years. That to me says that there’s never really been a clear front runner. We cooked it late in both seasons but being sh*t is a bit of an overreaction. We were top 5 and I think deserved a spot in the 4 over Brisbane both years (they look better this year but 19 and 20 they were absolute pretenders).
Mentally weak for 3 years. Playing 2 quarters only in most games in 19. Playing when we feel like it.

Take your blinkers off.

Oh nice though .... believe me he has no fuc(ing idea, you see our list manager is also the Head of Drafting.

Said it many times he cant draft mids for sh*t, so consequently we have to trade for them, which inevitably dilutes the draft capital that we have to strengthen our list, which weakens our draft position going forward ......... which we don't utilise in the first place. ♻ 🔄

Rinse and repeat over the last decade and sadly thats why we are behind the eight ball in midfield depth, we keep playing catch up football, having to trade draft capital to trade in the mids we should have drafted in the first place.

Many of this site don't like that notion and keep making excuses for our recruiters.

Its actually not that complexed an equation:

Balls won out of the centre, balls won out of contested possession and contested possession = thats where the game is won.

To do that you need midfielders that can win the ball at the coal face.

Now once you have those pieces in place, games become a lot easier to win.
Drafting no top shelf midfielders for a decade is biting us big time.

Attitude defs needs to change and whilst we haven't been the best team since we won the gf 3 years ago I think we have had the hunted mentality ever since. Losing some more and expectation dropping off a little turning us back into our players believing they are hunter again I think could change things. The more people start to doubt us etc.

Case and point are these games themselves. Get a cosy lead and become the hunted rather than push for the lead hunting and we start to fade. Trouble is how do you ever win if you cant keep winning once you have the lead?

I still thought given this first half of the seasons injury run that if we got to the bye even with a 6 and 6 record that if we got players back before finals and only made like 6th spot that we can do a western bulldogs and create an upset. Top four will be a stretch but "if" and a big "if" we get our full playing list back and in some reasonable form come finals that we could shake things up.

With players coming back I will be hoping for more a 60/70% and 40/30% win loss end to the season. If players coming back and others stay back.

Trouble now is the gap between 6 and like 14 is now leveling again and run the real risk of dropping one or two games and easily slipping out of finals.

Hmmmm

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was watching some 2018 replays recently. One thing that was noticeable was the way we kicked to a player and as they turned, we often seemed to have players running by to keep the ball moving.

I honestly can't remember a time we have seen that this year.

Its looking more and more like it was Mitchell or Pyke were driving this ..

You just can't give up 5-goal leads to non-finals sides like we've done twice already this year, if you are a serious flag threat.

The absolute arrogance to play Yeo on managed minutes like we'd beat Essendon regardless. Kelly injury was the karma bus.

Positive: end a 6-week health challenge tomorrow so I can return to the hard liquor I'll need to watch the rest of our season.

Oh nice though .... believe me he has no fuc(ing idea, you see our list manager is also the Head of Drafting.

Said it many times he cant draft mids for sh*t, so consequently we have to trade for them, which inevitably dilutes the draft capital that we have to strengthen our list, which weakens our draft position going forward ......... which we don't utilise in the first place. ♻ 🔄

Rinse and repeat over the last decade and sadly thats why we are behind the eight ball in midfield depth, we keep playing catch up football, having to trade draft capital to trade in the mids we should have drafted in the first place.

Many of this site don't like that notion and keep making excuses for our recruiters.

Its actually not that complexed an equation:

Balls won out of the centre, balls won out of contested possession and contested possession = thats where the game is won.

To do that you need midfielders that can win the ball at the coal face.

Now once you have those pieces in place, games become a lot easier to win.
Well no excuse this year, looking like Mids run pretty deep so they better go nuts and pick 5 mid with 5 picks, at least if a couple don't make it we still get 3 mids for the future. Just might be too late to help win another premiership with this lot.

I was watching some 2018 replays recently. One thing that was noticeable was the way we kicked to a player and as they turned, we often seemed to have players running by to keep the ball moving.

I honestly can't remember a time we have seen that this year.

I actually thought we made a reasonable effort to keep the ball moving tonight, just didn’t execute it well. The biggest difference for me is that in 2018, we had Jetta and Hurn firing on all cylinders. It’s so much easier to play that style of footy when you have two supremely good kicks who are willing to take risks and pull the trigger on attacking plays.

Too often we look stagnant in the way we move the ball up the ground. This is exacerbated by having two stoppage players in Sheed and Gaff who are incapable of taking on tacklers or kicking on their non-preferred foot

Honeybadger I have to disagree on Nic Nat tonight, thought he got dominated around the ground. Phillips who lets face it is pretty sh*t, had way too much impact around the ground.

E2jkm8_VoAIxbeP

Champion Data Ratings.jpg

According to AFL Ratings Phillips had about a third of the impact of Naitanui.
According to Champion Data he had about half.
Suffice to say Phillips' game was not comparable to Naitanui's impact on the game.
Stop making things up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew we'd lost the minute we coughed up those 2 late goals just before HT under basically no pressure. Turned a 5 goal lead into a 3 goal one.

First goal - "Hmm, got a feeling that late goals going to be important.:

Second goal - "Yep, don't like that at all. I've seen this movie before. Betcha we fold"

Waterman being 0.2 seconds off and not having his goal allowed just before the 3QT siren - "Oh dear, I should just head head the train now"

Home truths are here at last. Last year was a team that was barely hanging on, and this year it's a proper implosion of everything from injuries, to desire, to general field positioning and skills to pure pride in the club.

I question every single players pride in the guernsey after a performance like that, and with a season on the line, at home it was a complete mental and physical capitulation that is fast becoming nothing short of embarrassing and shameful for fans to endure.

Not a single team in the comp fears West Coast. They see a team that is so mentally fragile that no matter how dreadful the oppo are, they see themselves as a chance. The players are too busy doing ******* stupid trick goals from the boundary and giggling like school kids in a locker room rather than going over strategies or focussing on their opposite numbers. Not a modicum of competitive spirit between any of them at the moment.

The Window is shut, boarded up and bricked over.
Mentally weak is being embarrassed when your team doesn't play well.

Calling it now (easy to do after such a loss) we won’t make the 8. Looking at the rest of our fixture, we’ll struggle to get beyond 12 wins, and that won’t be enough. Time for a massive overhaul of the list and the game plan. It’s served us well, but time for a change. How about we try tackling?? That seems to work well

Mentally weak for 3 years. Playing 2 quarters only in most games in 19. Playing when we feel like it.

Take your blinkers off.
Not sure how you can say mental weakness was the defining factor tonight? We were cruising for the first half and lost 2 key players on top of already having underdone players lining up for us. Maybe we just lost run? We can’t just keep losing quality players and expect the WAFL blokes to slot in seamlessly. We do have an issue with complacency at times but more often than not we have the quality available to counteract that.

Gov, Kelly, Shuey, Allen, Duggan, Witherden (he and Hurn in the same side would transform our ball movement instantly) with Yeo, Hurn and Ryan freshly back from lengthy spells. That’s a shit load of quality and Essendon aren’t exactly mugs. They’re not good but they’re definitely capable.

We can’t realistically expect our entire 22 to be on the level of those blokes and be able to slot into their positions with equal output surely.

I’d challenge anyone to take the equal amount and quality of player out of any other side and see how they go. We’re at breaking point, even our replacement mids are going down (Duggan). We can’t seriously expect Redden, Sheed and Gaff to carry a midfield with support from Nelson and Brander. Anyone hoping for better has got their head in the sand. That’s as good as we are, we’re a B grade team with our B grade players (shocking I know).

Gather, handball to stationary player, get it back, get cornered, slam it on the boot or get smothered. Rinse and repeat.
That's the thing I noticed at the game time and time again tonight - we were just so stationary more often than not when players should have been on the move to create - it was mind boggling so either we are being badly coached or we have too many lazy players.

neg ;

losing Kelly to injury
Oscar getting concussed
only kicking 2 goals in 2nd half
fade out in 2nd half

pos+

Barrass tried his heart out
Yeo being back
Nic had a crack
Sheed tried hard to provide a option
Goal kicking 9.0 straight is awesome

Negatives -

- Waterman's BRAIN FADE which gave them momentum which allowed them to comeback and eventually cost us the game. Even if he didn't cause that brain fade which gave a downfield free kick to Hooker, it would've delayed the inevitable. I DON'T CARE IF HE PLAYED WELL, THAT BRAIN FADE WAS UNFORGIVABLE. I'M SOO PISSED AT WATERMAN BECAUSE OF THAT.
- Ryan not being able to hold onto marks and was quiet the whole game. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was still getting match fitness.
- Darling quiet and getting outmarked by Laverde in the final quarter.
- Gaff lacked composure and went with his trademark around the corner hack kick.
- Team defense looked exposed.
- Unable to wrestle back momentum when we needed to. We just shat the bed.
- Sheed was trash with his kicking and doesn't tackle that much. Yes he got alot of disposals but they aren't damaging to the oppo.
- Kelly and Allen injury and would be out for several weeks.
- Poor coaching, Nelson should've tagged Parish. Parish had 36 disposals and they mostly win if Parish has over 30 disposals and lose everytime he has less than 30. Simmo way out of touch with reality.
- We're too fumbly in the wet whereas they were cleaner.
- Overreliance on efficient F50 entries. Some of the delivery was dogsh*t and some were not marked.
- Our crumbing ability is soo bad. Any spoils went to a Bombers player.
- Nelson, what do I say.
- Too stationary at times, was very frustrating to watch.

Meh =

=
Redden was alright and good with tackling but poor handpasses. Some went to an under pressured teammate.
= Jones didn't do much but his pressure was still good.
= I think Rotham done alright but got exposed one on one.
= Petch showing glimpses, starting to get better but he needs to tackle more and crumb as well.
= AhChee had his moments.
= Cripps was in the action but didn't do much to infleunce it.

Positives +

+ Nic Nat carrying the midfield and was all over the ground too. Smashed Phillips in the ruck. The only one who's the most desperate in the midfield.
+ JK kicking well at goal.
+ Barrass holding the defense that was under siege.
+ Sheppard playing another solid game.
+ Bunga the only one who looked threatening to rebound down back. Starting to regain his AA form.
+ Yeo was the only mid to show hunger besides Nic Nat and held his own coming back.
+ Cole was also good down back.
+ Accurate goal kicking.

Final Thoughts.

For me Waterman's brain fade handed them momentum. We still cannot play in the wet and they didn't allow us to go with our trademark kick mark game as we had 78 marks and we almost always win when we have 100+ marks in a game (yes we had over 100 marks against the Saints and Bulldogs but those are the games we should've won). The team's poor defense and lack of midfield pressure is showing and it's making the oppo more efficient in their I50 entries. The team is 5-1 whenever we're more efficient than the oppo in inside 50 efficiency and 0-5 whenever the opposing team is more efficient than us with inside 50 entries so that goes to show that if they're more efficient than us then they have a good chance of winning and that stems from our lack of ability to win clearances when we needed to and lack of midfield pressure to force teams to bomb it in, now they can hit up a lead up pass to a chest and our defenders are out of positions. Our midfield pressure was very underrated in 2018 as teams kept bombing it high for Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Shep and even Schoey to intercept the footy. Out of the mids Nic Nat is the only one to show hunger and everyone else is just lazy and don't care.

Witherden and Duggan out was a huge blow as Hurn had too much load to be rebounding so the oppo can target him because they know he's a genuine threat to rebound it out, even Gov is a decent rebounder as well when he actually hits his targets. Shep, Barrass, Nelson and Cole lack that rebounding ability as none of their kicks have penetration which allows defenders time to spoil it. For someone who's a rebounding defender, Rotham doesn't do much to take the game on as his first instinct is to go sideways or backwards.

Ryan unfortunately needs more time to regain match fitness and awareness before he can get his groove back as he's dropping marks he would take and doesn't threaten the opposition unless back in form. Jones gives it his all and still pressures and tackles better than most of our team but he needs to get involved in offense more as he's a great ball user. Petch is getting better and is starting to show consistency, just needs to tackle more and he'll be a gun. Cripps is on a decline and has been inconsistent but there's no denying he works hard.

Unfortunately the team lacks any good crumbers. Ryan is a lead up type who goes for the mark more than he crumbs and when he does crumb, he's average at best. Jones operates best as a pressure forward and good on ground level too but doesn't seem to have the awareness to crumb. Petch is more of an opportunist who works well when it's out the back but isn't good at crumbing when it's spoiled backwards as in towards the direction of the oppo goal. Cripps has never been known to crumb as he prefers to be the receiver rather than the guy who goes after the ground ball after a spoil. Our best crumber is Rioli and he won't be available until R23 and that's not guaranteed we're even gonna the finals with the way we're playing.

The team is missing a lot of it's best 22 players such as Kelly, Shuey, Duggan, Gov, Witherden (hands down best 22 for me) and Allen. Hurn, Yeo and Ryan were all underdone. Don't expect our injured or underdone players to put us back on track, we also need the mental attitude to play hard and tackle and the hunger to win another flag. We may still have a chance if we can go on a huge win streak and win the unwinnable against Sydney at the SCG and Brisbane at the Gabba but that's looking unlikely as we're up against strong sides like Richmond, Bulldogs and the Dees. Yes we'll be facing them at home but with the sh*t we served up against the Bombers, it's likely they'll be favorites against us at home.

E2jkm8_VoAIxbeP

View attachment 1140943

According to AFL Ratings Phillips had about a third of the impact of Naitanui.
According to Champion Data he had about half.
Suffice to say Phillips' game was not comparable to Naitanui's impact on the game.
Stop making things up.

Sheppard has been shit since Rohan sliced him up needs to be dropped ..

Its looking more and more like it was Mitchell or Pyke were driving this ..
Why did Mitchel leave straight after 2018? Wasn’t it part of the logic in recruiting him as a player in 2017 to get him to stay longer term as an assistant? Seems like he probably couldn’t work with simmo (I know they disagreed on many things).

Why did Mitchel leave straight after 2018? Wasn’t it part of the logic in recruiting him as a player in 2017 to get him to stay longer term as an assistant? Seems like he probably couldn’t work with simmo (I know they disagreed on many things).

His wife didn`t like Perth and was basically homesick missing her family ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon Rd 11 - Season Over Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back