Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Hickey was our BOG, no argument there. I 5 voted him.

We just got thumped by 10 goals in pretty good footy conditions. I don't define that as success.

We just won a flag with 2 rucks.

**** off the 3rd tall forward we don't need and go back to a structure that won a flag.

Our clearances were the lowest quality POS of all time. 10kg of shit doesn't smell nicer than 5kg of shit.
Sure, but the combo of Lycett-Vardy worked. I think we saw enough to suggest that Hickey-Vardy didn't.

Sure, but the combo of Lycett-Vardy worked. I think we saw enough to suggest that Hickey-Vardy didn't.

Vardy's been out of form.

Was great in the preseason but struggled since Round 1.

Great to see Hickey do so well. Good on him. The only player putting in effort.

Don't which is worse - Our midfield or our forwardline.

Allen has to go. Brander too. We're too tall!

Waterman plays more mobile. Bring in another mid.

I think it was less of one ruckman being a success and more Vardy just being horribly out of form.

Brooksby should come in imo.
Not if it's in any way slippery.

Sneaky by the AFL, sending us out there in these conditions this year.

I suggested Brooksby. Vardy is down and form and was, in hindsight, erroneously rucked as the 1 in front of Thiccy.

I also suggest getting rid of one of our tall forwards. This is where the rot has set in as we have lost our forward pressure.

I suggested Brooksby. Vardy is down and form and was, in hindsight, erroneously rucked as the 1 in front of Thiccy.

I also suggest getting rid of one of our tall forwards. This is where the rot has set in as we have lost our forward pressure.

Love OAllen but he has to go.

Waterman is better suited to our game plan and we need to drop Brander for an actual midfielder.

None of this winger stuff for now.

2zmzg8.jpg

Ffs
Shouldn’t the onus be on you re “running patterns” and re Match Committee ??? V the glaringly friggin obvious..chemistry not right!!

Knew it would happen. Thought he was woeful.

Gaff being played out of position, plays like sh*t
Gee it’s almost like the midfield story of 2017, 16, 15, 14, 13 etc all over again

Maybe we should see if the Golden One is available ??

McGovern was great. Hickey, Hurn, Gaff, Hutchings played a role.. and thats about it really.

Team selection was complete poo again. We fall into the trap of playing high draft picks like Venables, Allen and Brander irrespective of form or structure. Venables was shit in the WAFL, Allen is killing our forward structure and Brander simply doesn't have a role. What the hell are we bringing these types in to replace Redden?

Rotham comes in and is great, we drop him to keep playing Cole? Cripps has played 1 decent quarter this year - yet its predictable because hes always shit when returning from injury. Darling is woeful **** him off for Waterman. This Masten / Gaff shite is killing us... drop Masten and play Gaff wide for christ sake. One of Sheed, MAllen, Brayshaw inside please.

Goes on and on - its a total shitshow.

Last edited:
McGovern was great. Hickey.. and thats about it really.

Team selection was complete poo again. We fall into the trap of playing high draft picks like Venables, Allen and Brander irrespective of form or structure. Venables was shit in the WAFL, Allen is killing our forward structure and Brander doest have a role. What the hell are we bringing these types in to replace Redden?

Rotham comes in and is great, we drop him to keep playing Cole? Cripps has played 1 decent quarter this year - yet its predictable because hes always shit when returning from injury. Darling is woeful **** him off for Waterman. This Masten / Gaff shite is killing us... drop Masten and play Gaff wide for christ sake. One of Sheed, MAllen, Brayshaw inside please.

Goes on and on - its a total shitshow.
The question is who do we play in the small forward roles? We cant drop Cripps and Venables because we have nothing to replace them with. We are already too tall in the forwardline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ffs
Shouldn’t the onus be on you re “running patterns” and re Match Committee ??? V the glaringly friggin obvious..chemistry not right!!

Gaff being played out of position, plays like sh*t
Gee it’s almost like the midfield story of 2017, 16, 15, 14, 13 etc all over again

Maybe we should see if the Golden One is available ??
Gaff's playing a similar mix to what he was last year. He's just not playing well.

He started in 40-50% of centre bounces last year at a guess going off the statistics provided by that guy that sometimes posts the breakdowns.

negatives without nic nat and with the 6-6-6 rule we can see how ordinary our midfield is.Teams have worked us out to disrupt our precise kicking.
positives.something will be done to improve our midfield in the next draft..

Interesting observation made by Mead over at EFH, and if this goes against any rules, please dekete my post.

"After a crushing loss like that there's a tendency to resort to easy responses like questioning effort of players but here's the awkward statistical fact- our on ball unit actually did ok, they won the clearances 41-39.

But even with our mids getting a decent amount of first use Geelong utterly dominated us in possession 2:1, and put the ball inside 50 2:1.

That screams to me that the problem is structural rather than effort based. Good teams have figured out how to totally shut down our ball movement between the arcs, I think by setting up a fairly flat zone 20-30m ahead of the ball carrier and double teaming/playing.in front of JK/Darling behind that.

I am hoping against hope that narrow grounds function like wet grounds in terms of making this possible, but honestly I think we are in the shit big time."

Isn't it a little too soon to be saying that, given it's based on a sample of six games?

No i don't think so, we have played six games, and have probably played decent in maybe 10 quarters of those games. The hunger is not there and every team is coming for us, so far this reminds me of the Bulldogs in 2017, i bloody hope I'm wrong though , and they make me look like a fool. I just don't see it in the sample we have seen this year.

Biggest negative is the game plan. WC have to bring a different game plan next week and if that works can hopefully use both game plans moving forward

What is our game plan? We concede the first 3, 4, 5 kicks out of defence and before you know it our defence is under pressure.

We seem to turn the ball over in dangerous positions while also not really taking the game on to warrant the risk.

And why are Allen, Brander, Schofield, Kennedy, Darling, McGovern all in the same side?

Gaff's playing a similar mix to what he was last year. He's just not playing well.

He started in 40-50% of centre bounces last year at a guess going off the statistics provided by that guy that sometimes posts the breakdowns.

Fair enough,
But my point was theres an irony there when Al points the absurdity of gaf named in the best players ( ala the ploddus era, regularly named amongst our best, stats and indispensable@inside mid- v much to the detriment of others..)...

Exactly the same as going on now and “running patterns”.....

- Today I worked, moved house and then watched that shite.

- Geelong being good again makes me want to vomit. If we can't get our shit together in 2019 the only team I could stomach winning is GWS. Geelong/Collingwood/Richmond GF? I'm calling in a bomb threat.

+ I got 9.

+ The thought of the players having to fly back with the fans on that chartered flight after that loss is heckin'g hilarious.

+ Hickey

negatives without nic nat and with the 6-6-6 rule we can see how ordinary our midfield is.Teams have worked us out to disrupt our precise kicking.
positives.something will be done to improve our midfield in the next draft..

Not sure our kicking is precise, the teams are not giving us the same leeway and those kicks that are not quite hitting their targets are now intercepted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back