Review Positives and Negatives vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrie decked Ellis off the ball and Schofield absolutely went off at him for a few minutes. Did that get much camera time at all?
A little bit- the commentators mentioned that we weren't happy with it, and I saw on the afl report somewhere that Petrie may face a delayed start to 2016.

It will be looked at.

Positives-

Kennedy's mark brought me to my feet, the courage then skill to finish made me believe after that start, what an absolute champion.

Luke shuey did what champion midfielders do when they are getting scragged and tagged, he made his big moments count, that juddesque goal was amazing.

Brad f$&king SHEPPARD! this boy killed contest after contest, kept his feet and held 90% of his marking opportunities, he could well take home Norm next week, AA back pocket for the next 5 years.

Will Schoefield was immense all night, his two on one contest in the last when he charged desperately at the footy to lock it up was inspirational, he's such a rock of our backline, needs to stich up roughy next week.

Wellingham/Lecras/ellis/priddis/sheed all kept us in it early, Wellinghams goal, priddis in and under, leccas disposal, shreds composure, Ellis stood up and showed his experience.

Negatives-

GOAL KICKING

NUMBERS AT THE CONTEST

But so happy right now, I was the angriest man in South Australia last night and next Saturday I'm actually afraid of what could go down.

EAGLES FOREVER FOREVER EAGLES
enjoyed that, thanks mate :) ....only concerned that you were the angriest man in Adelaide..that is pretty angry......& scary :)

I get the feeling Schoey sets up the structures better than anyone, everyone plays better down there when he's back.
Even last year with Ezy down there (quick aside, phone tried to change Ezy to sexy, I'll allow it) Schoey was the one barking and setting the backline up from what I could see. Good call, underrated leader.

12:05pm update: WE MADE THE GRAND FINAL.

its-a-celebration-bitches.jpg

Massive positive for me is that we had to fight from being down.

Holds us in good stead instead of having a false sense of security if we flogged North Holdbourne.
Agree, I think this kind of win gives us even more confidence that we can get over the line despite being down.

Negative, the boys didn't play the whistle a couple of times. The one on the boundary where there ball stayed 5mm on the line, we just stopped expecting a throw in & norf got the easy out.
There was another I recall but can not pin point it due to being pretty pissed at the time.

Positive, sticking to the game plan & not panicking after the 1st quarter.

Last edited:
Just posted the following in the umpire rant thread on the North board, in case anyone is interested (or someone pops an artery and deletes it)

Hello everyone,

While I acknowledge that posting on an opposition supporters' post-game umpire venting thread will be as popular as a vegan at a paleo convention, I thought I might make a couple of points which, depending on the person, will either comfort or further enrage.

As someone with more than a passing interest in cognitive biases (I am lucky enough that a book I wrote on this topic allows me to spend far too much time lurking on BF), I have a macabre hobby of reading as many post-game threads (preferably non-West Coast games - see above point on cognitive bias) to read the various anti-umpire comments. Here are some general observations -

• I can't remember seeing a post-game (hereafter PG) thread without supporters complaining about calls that went against them (they must exist so will guess at least 95%)
  • There is a near-perfect correlation between whether your team lost and how much of the discussion centres on umpiring
  • In close games, these supporters will claim that the decisions "probably cost us the game"
  • In games with margins beyond that which could be claimed to be influenced by umpiring alone, supporters will talk about calls early in the game, or when their team was fighting back as being "momentum killers"
  • In games where a supporter's team loses the free kick count, the supporter points to the count without identifying the information which would make this stat meaningful - a) For each free, was it there or not? b) Once you have confirmed this, what happens when you add in the frees not paid to both sides. Once you have done this, you have "useful" data
  • In games where the losing team's free count was equal to or higher than the winning team's, supporters will talk about "where the frees occurred" or when in the context of the game
  • Teams who lose often give away silly frees out of panic (for example, I haven't looked at any stats however would hazard a guess that Nic Nat has received the most frees for the Eagles due to opposition trying to stop him from jumping) or because they are second to the ball
  • When a supporter's team loses to West Coast, Hawthorn, Collingwood or Richmond, there will be talk of a conspiracy of some kind

And now some general points regarding biases in general -

• When someone becomes highly emotional, a part of their brain called the amygdala "hijacks" the part of your brain responsible for rational thought and decision making
  • I would therefore expect to see more anti-umpire and conspiracy posts in finals (and further increase with each game closer to the GF)
  • If you even just read the Wikipedia entry on cognitive biases, it makes for fascinating reading as you can see common examples from footy fans
  • Just to give an example - notice how most people think they always seem to choose the slowest moving queue in Coles? This is because a slow queue makes as angry and a fast queue is never noticed. So we only ever remember the slow queues. How many times can you remember thinking "wow, we were really lucky today with umpiring" versus the times you thought the umps were favouring the other team?
  • By the way, there is even a version of survivorship bias or selection bias with the creation of threads like these. If anyone here has had the misfortune of suffering depression and needing to take medication, you may have noticed that all you ever see on internet forums is people talking about how terrible "drug x" was. People whose depression has been successfully treated by this drug are rarely motivated to spend their days on depression forums. Same goes for supporters whose team has won the game or the free kick count.
I will make only one specific comment regarding last night. (Disclosure - I am an Eagles fan so this will be biased, not matter how hard I try - look up "bias blind spot" on the Wiki article). After watching Dockers/Hawks the night before, you may recall one of the commentators calling it a "whistle fest" at one point, with the umps getting trigger happy (that Ballantyne bump off the ball...wow...just wow). I thought the umps may have gotten a spray by their bosses who then may have warned last night's umps not to do the same. This was evident from the get-go last night, with the umps appearing to have decided to let it go more than usual. I saw dozens of frees each way that weren't paid.

What this means is that focusing on frees that weren't paid in isolation is meaningless. An unbiased observer would need to tally everything that was paid, which of these were actually frees or not, and then which ones were not paid. Then we at least have the beginnings of truly useful and interesting data. This cuts both ways mind you. I am more than prepared to accept that fans' complaints are justified, once I see the data presented as per above. And I am also prepared to accept that 43000 rabid Eagles supporters influence umpires' behaviour (they are human). However I have seen just the opposite apply, like the Eagles game against Collingwood earlier this year (for you "free kick count means everything" buffs, have a quick gander at the free count that day).

TLDR version - The venting in this thread may prove warranted, however the reasons posited are riddled with cognitive biases due to being formed in a highly emotional state.

Also shows a lack of intelligence when "Amygdala" as you put it takes over the brain. Most smart people are able to stand back from automatic thought, and process the information before making an opinion.

+ Big Bush party at a mates house for the grandy this year watching the boys in the shed on the big projector!

Also shows a lack of intelligence when "Amygdala" as you put it takes over the brain. Most smart people are able to stand back from automatic thought, and process the information before making an opinion.

+ Big Bush party at a mates house for the grandy this year watching the boys in the shed on the big projector!

Sorry for the late reply...have been lost in the jungles of SE Asia (long story).

Just a small (yet interesting) point - look up "amygdala hijack". This is unrelated to intelligence but an evolutionary adaptation that has kept our caveman ancestors alive (and Dockers supporters). Rather than intelligence per se, an individual's ability to resist this hijack is related to emotional control I reckon umpires would have varying degrees of ability to filter out both the urge to cause 43000 people to roar with approval or the fear of the opposite. Would be an interesting study to see how individual umpires respond.

They key point which most Vics ignore is that we get just the opposite in Melbourne in front of rabid Richmond/Collingwood crowds. If Collingwood had suffered what we suffered in that Eagles/Collingwood game at Etihad, Eddie would have had an aneurysm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back