Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to comment on Hurn's decline in kicking - both execution and appetite for risk - but it seemed a bit pointless to labour an obvious point.

Cole, Duggan and Nelson should be stepping into the distributor roles now but after giving them a brief crack at it in 15-16 we strangled their access to the footy and stalled their development. So we went and got Witherden who is, frankly, another spud discard.

Nothing wrong with Hurns Kicking, it is absolutely elite and always has been. That he is instructed by the coaching staff to not use this elite kicking as a weapon is probably not his doing. I highly doubt he is going against coaching instructions.

Jetta also had an elite kick, what people forget of course is that he was not accountable, was easily beaten one on one and was probably very lucky he didn't play in the stand on the mark rule era.
Certainly those exception kicks that break the lines are always handy to have, but there is much more to footy than that.

I agree that Hurn's kicking is elite, but only his straight line kicking. He can't do across the body passes, he actually needs his body to face exactly where he is kicking. Jetta did surprise cross body kicks consistently, Gov used to have a good strike rate with it as well, and Witho tries to do it (sometimes it works).

Jetta hid/changed his kicks a fair bit and kept everyone guessing. Hurn is very much a straight line kicker.

The fact he doesn't remotely attack by foot anymore is one of the things that pisses me off the most. Long to the right from a kick out is about the extent of it.

Coaching or not, it shouldn't be the case.

Nothing wrong with Hurns Kicking, it is absolutely elite and always has been. That he is instructed by the coaching staff to not use this elite kicking as a weapon is probably not his doing. I highly doubt he is going against coaching instructions.

Jetta also had an elite kick, what people forget of course is that he was not accountable, was easily beaten one on one and was probably very lucky he didn't play in the stand on the mark rule era.
Certainly those exception kicks that break the lines are always handy to have, but there is much more to footy than that.
I can distinctly remember getting raked over the coals on the board a few years back for having the exact same view on the defensive side of Jetta's game. From memory, the point of view from some was that even while playing a half-back role he wasn't there to defend.

My view is that any players that don't have an interest in having a defensive side to their game, and we have a few, you'd want to make sure the offensive side of your game is nearing elite levels to offset that.

I can distinctly remember getting raked over the coals on the board a few years back for having the exact same view on the defensive side of Jetta's game. From memory, the point of view from some was that even while playing a half-back role he wasn't there to defend.

My view is that any players that don't have an interest in having a defensive side to their game, and we have a few, you'd want to make sure the offensive side of your game is nearing elite levels to offset that.
Meh. Jake Lloyd and heaps of other distributor defenders are the same, but don’t have the weapons that Jetta had. You can afford to have a seagull in defence if they can split a side open like he could

Jetta hid/changed his kicks a fair bit and kept everyone guessing. Hurn is very much a straight line kicker.

The fact he doesn't remotely attack by foot anymore is one of the things that pisses me off the most. Long to the right from a kick out is about the extent of it.

Coaching or not, it shouldn't be the case.

Totally agree, I watch his kick outs and I have two huge issues with them. One it goes to the same place every time and two it is kicked to NN who is arguably our worst overhead mark in our side.
This is where using a Petch could be of value by Hurn switching it out the other side kicking it out in Front of Petch and let him run on to it. Some brains would need to be involved with these types of plays but thats what coaches are for. You only have to do it once or twice and it breaks up the oppositions strategy.
Petch starts defensive line between centre square and the 50 arc, fake leads to the stock std place Hurn normally kicks it and then bolts the other side, Hurn kicks it out in front of him to run on to.

FFS Try something!!!

Meh. Jake Lloyd and heaps of other distributor defenders are the same, but don’t have the weapons that Jetta had. You can afford to have a seagull in defence if they can split a side open like he could

You are making it sound like he did it 3 times a quarter, he did one of these awesome kicks once every 3 games.

When the support crew is there it's fine, when the games turn tough and your mates either can't pick up the defensive slack or a few others decide they like the look of this seagull style game it starts to get a bit ugly.

You are making it sound like he did it 3 times a quarter, he did one of these awesome kicks once every 3 games.
Likewise you’re making Jetta sound like he never laid a tackle in his life.

Tackles per game (career)
Jetta 2.4
Cole 2.4
Duggan 2.1
Nelson 1.8
Hurn 1.8

You can’t tell me these other blokes are infinitely more accountable than Jetta was. Granted Hurn often played as a third tall marking defender, he’s hardly set the standard for chasing and pressuring.

Man we really took Jetta for granted. I think we all saw the point in persisting. Agree we don’t win a flag without him. Hurn should have retired last year IMO. Legend but he’s holding back the evolution of the side.
Just to add a little bit...

Was excited a lot when we recruited him but then turned to a huge disappointment as he was in and out of the team for 2 years.

The realisation of how much of a special player he was, was in the Port double overtime final. Coming of the back square and storming through the midfield.... Shuey gets the plaudits but it was Jetta that grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and exerted his will power in extending the game to double overtime.

The penny finally dropped for me. I was a slow learner!!!

Very disappointed how he was treated at the end, for whatever reason... Ainsworth was gifted a final for who knows what reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likewise you’re making Jetta sound like he never laid a tackle in his life.

Tackles per game (career)
Jetta 2.4
Cole 2.4
Duggan 2.1
Nelson 1.8
Hurn 1.8

You can’t tell me these other blokes are infinitely more accountable than Jetta was. Granted Hurn often played as a third tall marking defender, he’s hardly set the standard for chasing and pressuring.

If you were a half forward which one of those would you like to play on the most? I would like to play on Jetta.

Let me also say I think he has been a good contributor for both Sydney and us, he had a good career. I am just saying it was not a great career. There were days when I though gee why can't he do this consistently? But he is what he is.

Slippy Nelson tbh

Savaged the poor lad.

5745bd91dcd076c6001d9093d5395c3c

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back