Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints - Rd 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Its really hard to gauge Oneils game based on where he was playing. He was starting next to darling at FF a few times. He's not a small forward and no one is going to kick to him either when he's surrounded by Kennedy and co. He needs to play off a wing or have some time in the middle. Some are saying hes too small but he's 186cm so hes a decent size. Far bigger than West is thats for sure.

Its really hard to gauge Oneils game based on where he was playing. He was starting next to darling at FF a few times. He's not a small forward and no one is going to kick to him either when he's surrounded by Kennedy and co. He needs to play off a wing or have some time in the middle. Some are saying hes too small but he's 186cm so hes a decent size. Far bigger than West is thats for sure.
I took it that with Ryan out we had to rotate mids forward

The willingness to take the game on and use the corridor more was great to see but it all starts with more ferocity at the contests - Yeo was huge in this respect, Rotham had a great moment where he bodylined the ball to save a near-certain goal, even Gaff drilled someone at some point. We were up for the fight yesterday and that made all the difference.

It's also why I don't think Brander should be getting games - regardless of his contract status - until he adds some physicality to his game.

Also, someone plz gif Kent getting gang-tackled by Langdon and Sheppard. More of that please

+ Ball movement in the first half. Bold and decisive.
+ Willingness to try new things, namely Gov and Darling in the ruck, Naita tracking into defence
+ Kelly’s dominance in the second quarter.
+ Waterman working hard and finding pockets of space (but failing to convert).
+ Sheed with two great goals
+ Cripps building on last week.

- Fourth quarter fade out.
- Basic skill errors cut the efficacy of our improved ball movement.
- Hutchings was a pointless selection. Nine touches on a wing. If he’s not going to tag he shouldn’t be played.
- Rotham had a game to forget. Silly errors coughing up goals.
- Harry Edwards was taught a lesson. King should have been a good matchup for him.
- Brander looked at sea. Running to bad spots and wanted to give the ball off as soon as he got it. Has lost the confidence and decisiveness that he made him good earlier in the season.

what the hell was the free against Nic Nat paid for?

In a ruck contest if the ball is on one side of the 2 ruckman, and the one closest to the ball makes contact with the other without going for the ball or making a decent hit out it's a block. That was the spirit of that free, right or wrong.

There's a reason why I shill waterman so hard. Had any other player played the game he played as a forward we would be calling for them to stay in the squad for the remainder of the season.

But since it's waterman meh and after one bad game let's drop that mother****er. How exactly do you expect a fwd to be a goal kicker and passer if he gets dropped after every off game? Games breed confidence.

In saying that waterman has enough credit in the bank to play the rest of the season or 6 more games no matter how shit he is*. And that mindset would have been used on other players if they played his sort of game. And his game was a standard game he produced plenty of games better like this (> 19 possesion multiple goals)

Thank god MC is less harsh

Last edited:
Didn't get to watch a lot of the game live yesterday and just watched the replay. Tim Kelly was absolutely huge. He hasn't been super consistent for us but has definitely played some huge games for us (St Kilda and Pies last year, St Kilda this year etc). If he can maintain that top form more consistently then he will easily justify the price tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason why I shill waterman so hard. Had any other player played the game he played as a forward we would be calling for them to stay in the squad for the remainder of the season.

But since it's waterman meh and after one bad game let's drop that motherf***er. How exactly do you expect a fwd to be a goal kicker and passer if he gets dropped after every off game? Games breed confidence.

In saying that waterman has enough credit in the bank to play the rest of the season or 6 more games no matter how sh*t he is*. And that mindset would have been used on other players if they played his sort of game. And his game was a standard game he produced plenty of games better like this (> 19 possesion multiple goals)

Thank god MC is less harsh

With the ruck load being shared amongst Nic, Allen, Gov and Darling is means we dont need to play Williams.

Waterman's output and current flexibility supports that ruck set up and forward rotations. He could have kicked a nice bag if he kicked straight.

We cant play two rucks plus Waterman and all theother talls at the same time.

Oneil is a worker, could be a role player in time.

With the ruck load being shared amongst Nic, Allen, Gov and Darling is means we dont need to play Williams.

Waterman's output and current flexibility supports that ruck set up and forward rotations. He could have kicked a nice bag if he kicked straight.

We cant play two rucks plus Waterman and all theother talls at the same time.
1 goal uncontested footy?? Where is Petro

Just watched the replay and a lot of people on this board are negative campaigners. Was waiting for a capitulation in the second half the way some were carrying on, didn’t see it.
was a good hard game against a team that has been playing well of late. Their rucks semi-nullified our one key strength and their midfield is a tough unit.
King clunked a few, on many different opponents, it wasn’t just Edwards. He is going to do that through out his career I would expect. Rotham wasn’t that bad? Not sure why people want him dropped? He is a young player, let him develop.
Loved our intent and work rate, loved that we are playing on and using the corridor more. Loved that we are trying new things, Gov in the ruck, Nic on the goal line. Go Eagles.

I understand the frustration with our key defenders. But don't under estimate the marking ability of King. Having watched a few Saints games this year, I expect that King will continue to dominate defences like he did yesterday.

O'neil gets in good positions but is too weak to impact the contest. Needs to work on his strength in the off season,
Its weird about O'Neil, he's our most buff back up mid.pretty solid. I'd say its his mindest thats weak

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I don't understand why they don't body contact king lean on him, he can't jump well if you leaning on him

The problem playing Edwards on King is simply this. They are both basically equally athletically capable. King is taller, has better reach and is the one making the leads so if he reads the play as well as Edwards then he gets the chocolates almost every time. Edwards has to have body on players like King. Sure against guys who are 194-196cm Edwards extra height, reach and speed over a lot of other forwards is fine.

The 2 goals kicked by king on Rotham and Allen are very simple. Know your limitations and don't try and outmark a 202cm forward who is a great mark. Spoil.

I got home late saturday morning and fell a sleep through the game. Is it worth watching the replay?
I watched the second quarter which showed us at our best (and it was good). I then watched the last half of the 4th quarter, to get a feeling for the Saints comeback and what was going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints - Rd 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back