Preview R10: Changes v GWS

Will the Crouch brothers be ins this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think they could have reversed the shuffle that saw VB replace him or Brad? I must admit that I do want to see more of Rat and CC at stoppages, but I'm not sure M Crouch being in would be the reason that can't continue.
No, i think Matt wasn't chosen due to concern over our midfield pace against GWS .....VB was playing backline, a different role to Matt

:'(

Are you being sarcastic?
No. Another poster said something that triggered this thought. If McGovern and Milera were struggling then they would be playing SANFL and Grigg/CEY/InsertFanboi would have had more opportunity. VB and Henderson would be floating about elsewhere. Henderson came in for Laird I expect him to go out for Laird. Not entirely sure why VB came in.

It's lost on many here, but it's exceedingly rare for a captain to not choose to stand down, at least publicly. I can't see a way to spin that mindset in favour of VB.
Not that you've actually tried... the next thing you attempt to spin positively for VB or Mackay will be the first.

No, i think Matt wasn't chosen due to concern over our midfield pace against GWS .....VB was playing backline, a different role to Matt

That's right, a shuffle, there's no other way to get VB in the team when the 2 outs are stoppage type midfielders. We could have reversed that, but for what it's worth, keeping a bit more speed around the contest is a good thing. Thommo is our biggest problem right now, he's the one that M Crouch should be in for on present form and future benefit.

That's right, a shuffle, there's no other way to get VB in the team when the 2 outs are stoppage type midfielders. We could have reversed that, but for what it's worth, keeping a bit more speed around the contest is a good thing. Thommo is our biggest problem right now, he's the one that M Crouch should be in for on present form and future benefit.
Agree, Matt is Thommo's replacement in the planning process .....Thommo has gone on a bit longer than maybe what the club planned for ? ......or was that in fact 2017?

No. Another poster said something that triggered this thought. If McGovern and Milera were struggling then they would be playing SANFL and Grigg/CEY/InsertFanboi would have had more opportunity. VB and Henderson would be floating about elsewhere. Henderson came in for Laird I expect him to go out for Laird. Not entirely sure why VB came in.

Unless Laird will be moving to the wing, it shouldn't be Hendo going out for Laird. VB came in, I think, because they wanted more pace around the contest. Hendo to the wing rotation, VB replaces his defensive spot, CC and Rat moving inside more to cover the amount of inside work that B Crouch provided in his 70% TOG. If it wasn't VB and that shuffle, then we'd have been looking at Wigg, CEY or Grigg (or B Crouch remaining) replacing the stoppage work, which doesn't really increase our pace.

On your side of the argument is that our club is much, much more likely to perform shuffles to play the likes of VB and Dmac, but not to move them out of the side. Like for like is an imperative when one of those guys spots is on the line though.

Okay, I am a poster who has been around for a number of years, rarely posts, but really enjoys reading the opinions of everyone. So shoot me down. I can appreciate posters having their own opinions about selection and lack thereof, fantastic. But surely the coaching & selection panel have a far greater insight into what is happening behind closed doors that we do. They are going to make selection calls and some are going to be 55/45 and some will not turn out as hoped. Yes, points can be scored when posters backed the other option and it paid off. Of the two posters that did seem to have some inside knowledge, at least one has been pitchforked out the gate. Yet we still get 'My opinion is far more valid than the professionals who leave and breathe in 24/7'. No, blind faith is not required and it is good to question and offer other ideas. But the 'club has no idea', 'I am not going to bother to go', 'not renew my membership' etc etc. For real! Enjoy the game.

Of course Van Berlo is going to talk himself up, he is a proud high achiever. Doesn't mean there is a selection conspiracy.

Ready to be shot down and return to enjoying the contributions of posters and membership of the half glass full club with the head in the sand ;)

Okay, I am a poster who has been around for a number of years, rarely posts, but really enjoys reading the opinions of everyone. So shoot me down. I can appreciate posters having their own opinions about selection and lack thereof, fantastic. But surely the coaching & selection panel have a far greater insight into what is happening behind closed doors that we do. They are going to make selection calls and some are going to be 55/45 and some will not turn out as hoped. Yes, points can be scored when posters backed the other option and it paid off. Of the two posters that did seem to have some inside knowledge, at least one has been pitchforked out the gate. Yet we still get 'My opinion is far more valid than the professionals who leave and breathe in 24/7'. No, blind faith is not required and it is good to question and offer other ideas. But the 'club has no idea', 'I am not going to bother to go', 'not renew my membership' etc etc. For real! Enjoy the game.

Of course Van Berlo is going to talk himself up, he is a proud high achiever. Doesn't mean there is a selection conspiracy.

Ready to be shot down and return to enjoying the contributions of posters and membership of the half glass full club with the head in the sand ;)

I totally understand the opinion that "the coaching & selection panel have a far greater insight". It makes sense.

The issue I have is that I sit and watch every single Adelaide Crows match, sometimes multiple times. And in those games I can clearly see the horrendous errors that some certain players make. I can look and see who concedes goals. I can see who does good stuff too.

So if I can sit and watch players like Henderson avoid contact, position themselves poorly around the contest, or fail to defend, I can see it. So why can't the coaches see it? What are the coaches valuing about these performances that I'm not seeing? Is there something off field that they're doing correctly?

I still believe that the coaches place far too much weight on 'leadership' and 'training' stuff, when in reality it's only game day performances that really matter. If you're shit on game day, and it's pretty obvious who's shit on game day if you look closely, why do other things outweigh this and allow these players to stay in the team?

Agree, Matt is Thommo's replacement in the planning process .....Thommo has gone on a bit longer than maybe what the club planned for ? ......or was that in fact 2017?

I think the club panicked and only re-contracted Thommo due to Danger's departure. Given the amount of upheaval it was fair enough in my view, but playing him week in week out as if he's still 30 and capable of it is a huge mistake. I'm not sure why Thommo refuses to rest, he must know himself how much better he was after the byes and Walsh tragedy week off last year. He must know that he was immense off his preseason and can barely get into a gallop over the last month. And that our coaching group either ignore this or are too weak to force his hand is remarkable. Sometimes truth is hidden in jest and we saw it again in the Gold Coast game with Campo saying they thought of resting him but he said he'd be travelling with the team regardless, so they might as well play him. Seriously, that's embarrassing, what's next, "well, he said he'd suit up with them, do the warm up, run through the banner and line up under Sauce's hand at the opening bounce. So we thought we might as well play him."

Right now he's not a high achiever, he's a solid SANFL contributor, cooked at AFL level and in the side due to injury. Talking himself up in these circumstances is not a good trait. But you're right, pride certainly seems a contributor to that mindset.

I totally understand the opinion that "the coaching & selection panel have a far greater insight". It makes sense.

The issue I have is that I sit and watch every single Adelaide Crows match, sometimes multiple times. And in those games I can clearly see the horrendous errors that some certain players make. I can look and see who concedes goals. I can see who does good stuff too.

So if I can sit and watch players like Henderson avoid contact, position themselves poorly around the contest, or fail to defend, I can see it. So why can't the coaches see it? What are the coaches valuing about these performances that I'm not seeing? Is there something off field that they're doing correctly?

I still believe that the coaches place far too much weight on 'leadership' and 'training' stuff, when in reality it's only game day performances that really matter. If you're shit on game day, and it's pretty obvious who's shit on game day if you look closely, why do other things outweigh this and allow these players to stay in the team?

It's like a restaurant and bad table service. Speak to the manager about it and they can list 15 reasons why the staff member is great and they value him/her. But none of that is relevant to your valid assessment of what happened at the coal face that evening. But, I suppose, they are restaurant professionals after all and what would you really know about it and what restaurant qualifications do you have, might I ask.

Not that I've ever complained mind you, but my sister is an embarrassment in these matters. Right macca23 ? I prefer to just not tip them and not go back if the food is shit. But I will not let poor service get in the way of me eating the food I want, dammit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spin it for me then.
What else would you expect him to say? I'm cooked as an AFL footballer and I'm just keeping the seat warm until Laird/Mackay/Crouch (x2) are ready to return?

Of course he's going to put as positive spin on it as possible. The fact is that he IS still a leader within the team, still a member of the leadership group, and still has those leadership qualities which saw him voted in as Captain until the achilles injury made that untenable. Of course he hopes to keep his place in the team, and will be disappointed if he's dropped (which I agree is inevitable).

Look at it from his perspective, putting aside your very negative and anti-VB agenda. For him to have said anything different would have been ludicrous.

I think the club panicked and only re-contracted Thommo due to Danger's departure. Given the amount of upheaval it was fair enough in my view, but playing him week in week out as if he's still 30 and capable of it is a huge mistake. I'm not sure why Thommo refuses to rest, he must know himself how much better he was after the byes and Walsh tragedy week off last year. He must know that he was immense off his preseason and can barely get into a gallop over the last month. And that our coaching group either ignore this or are too weak to force his hand is remarkable. Sometimes truth is hidden in jest and we saw it again in the Gold Coast game with Campo saying they thought of resting him but he said he'd be travelling with the team regardless, so they might as well play him. Seriously, that's embarrassing, what's next, "well, he said he'd suit up with them, do the warm up, run through the banner and line up under Sauce's hand at the opening bounce. So we thought we might as well play him."
You cant rest thommo because he'll just use it as another 'guns day' at the gym and wear himself out even more.

You've been posting this drivel ever since he re-signed. Thommo's performances in 2015 were more than good enough to justify him being given a 12-month contract extension. There was no panic, and the situation with Dangerfield was completely and utterly irrelevant. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the decision to give Thommo a new contract. The only question was whether or not Thommo wanted to continue, and he obviously did.

Even now, it's still a 50/50 bet as to whether or not he plays on in 2016.

This is all just the work of your fevered imagination, as you struggle to come up with ways of making reality fit in with the fantasy in your mind (that Thommo should have been pushed out the door last year).

I agree that he probably should have been rested last week. I think he needs 2 "rest" breaks during the season, in addition to the 2x byes that the AFL has inserted into the fixture. The game against GC would have been a golden opportunity. Unfortunately, Matt Crouch needed it more - and they were never going to rest both of them at the same time.

Right now he's not a high achiever, he's a solid SANFL contributor, cooked at AFL level and in the side due to injury. Talking himself up in these circumstances is not a good trait. But you're right, pride certainly seems a contributor to that mindset.
The first intelligent thing you've posted in the last 24 hours.

I don't care about your sexuality because thats your business and noone elses but because you're the simpleton questioning my intelligence if you could read between the lines, van Berlos biceps would be the only thing worth looking at for 4 quarters because it doesn't look like he is playing football.

Think twice before you call someone a homophobe when they aren't.

Remarkable really that you make comments like that, and then don't have the courage of your convictions to own them when you get called.

Your comment went beyond that which you now claim to the assertion that I 'salivate'. It was clear the inference that you were trying to draw.

Only until the Brisbane game. Surely people don't seriously think it was a coincidence that the golden 3 all made way soon after he made his comments in that presser.
Exactly right. I'd imagine should we be embarrassed tonight a similar statement will be made.

What else would you expect him to say? I'm cooked as an AFL footballer and I'm just keeping the seat warm until Laird/Mackay/Crouch (x2) are ready to return?

Of course he's going to put as positive spin on it as possible. The fact is that he IS still a leader within the team, still a member of the leadership group, and still has those leadership qualities which saw him voted in as Captain until the achilles injury made that untenable. Of course he hopes to keep his place in the team, and will be disappointed if he's dropped (which I agree is inevitable).

Look at it from his perspective, putting aside your very negative and anti-VB agenda. For him to have said anything different would have been ludicrous.

Bullshit, he can be quite honest about doing his bit without referencing his leadership status and making it sound like he's returned to his rightful spot in the 22. I've heard many a player identify injuries as giving them the chance to prove themselves in the 1's. Not VB though, he's earned this on merit alone. A bit of humbleness is ok in a footy player, we hear it all the time.

Also, your response was to my view on him not resigning the captaincy, which YOU just described as untenable and yet VB didn't see this himself. You don't see a pattern here. Anyway, I wanted the clinging to the captaincy to ge spun as being a positive to the team.

You've been posting this drivel ever since he re-signed. Thommo's performances in 2015 were more than good enough to justify him being given a 12-month contract extension. There was no panic, and the situation with Dangerfield was completely and utterly irrelevant. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the decision to give Thommo a new contract. The only question was whether or not Thommo wanted to continue, and he obviously did.

Even now, it's still a 50/50 bet as to whether or not he plays on in 2016.

This is all just the work of your fevered imagination, as you struggle to come up with ways of making reality fit in with the fantasy in your mind (that Thommo should have been pushed out the door last year).

I agree that he probably should have been rested last week. I think he needs 2 "rest" breaks during the season, in addition to the 2x byes that the AFL has inserted into the fixture. The game against GC would have been a golden opportunity. Unfortunately, Matt Crouch needed it more - and they were never going to rest both of them at the same time.

It's not 50/50, that's more of your ageist rubbish that you continually get wrong. There's a pattern to his performances and your own postings of the coaches votes is showing it is repeating. I know you don't want to see it, I don't know why, it shows how Thommo is still able to be a valuable player, but also that he can't do it for 22 straight weeks, which at 33 and with the way he's deployed his body over nearly 300 games, completely unsurprising.

How about you address the method and data that I used and provide an explanation as to why you consider it be imagination or flawed, especially considering it predicted his current form slump. I'd like to hear it so it can show that this isn't just your continued blind faith in the old or desire for me to be wrong.

This board's gone completely off the deep end.

Pages and pages of whining because the guy doesn't go on radio and call himself shit. Of course he doesn't you nutters.

There is a range between calling yourself shit and talking yourself up. Now, everyone is entitled to talk themselves up, but it must be relative to where you actually exist on the spectrum. VB fails to understand where he exists, so yes, talk yourself up, looking forward to playing my role, thankful for the opportunity, confident I can play my part in a good win. He spoke like a man with no idea where he's at at all. But, given his belief in himself that he'd retain the captaincy, why woukd I be surprised.

There is a range between calling yourself shit and talking yourself up. Now, everyone is entitled to talk themselves up, but it must be relative to where you actually exist on the spectrum. VB fails to understand where he exists, so yes, talk yourself up, looking forward to playing my role, thankful for the opportunity, confident I can play my part in a good win. He spoke like a man with no idea where he's at at all. But, given his belief in himself that he'd retain the captaincy, why woukd I be surprised.

You're a loon. Of course a professional footballer who wants to continue a career talks favourably of himself. The suggestion that he should do otherwise is entirely unreasonable. It's utter utter lunacy to suggest that anyone would talk down their value.

I'm also a reader than a poster mainly because I don't know much about football. I believe there could be a difference in selection strategy between the club and the BF supporters. As fans, we want our club to win a premiership. This may require long term thinking and premature ending of players careers. On the other hand members of the selection group may be thinking of getting wins for renewal of their contract. They are also closer to the players and may well be biased towards or against certain players. We need to keep up the good work by criticising their selections where we believe it is not best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R10: Changes v GWS

Back