Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint Kilda are Thilthorpes Bitch.

Wink Afl GIF by Adelaide Crows

Last edited:
Good:

Hugh Bond: didn’t notice him, only to then realise I also hadn’t noticed Higgins. Job done . In a wet weather game it’s really the crumbing small forwards the snag the odd goal or two, but Bond snuffed him out

Sholl - Best game in Crows colours for me. Played like it wasn’t raining, and his work rate is ridiculous. His shortcomings are always going to be his burst rate/speed and ability to physically impact games, but good look to anyone that has a running role with him. Has a lot of footy IQ and really came up with some excellent defensive placement on several occasions.

Taylor/Berry/Laird combo… very even across the board there in the middle, and it worked well. Laird might be giving some indication to the coaches that he wants his full time mid role back with Rankine out!

Bad: Umpiring, Ross Lyon

Ugly: Umpiring

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone know the free kicks at 3 quarter time? We were getting reamed, then to start to the fourth they slammed on the even uppers. If anyone says the umps don't look at the count at the break they're full of shit.

Good:
Sholl’s ball handling in the wet. Was a massive standout. Completely faded out of the game late but when it was there to be won, he was best on ground.

Berry’s hands in close and tackling.

Thilthorpe’s dominant last qtr and successful return.

Bond’s blanket job on Higgins.

Zac muthafking Taylor. Looks an absolutely elite prospect.

Billy Dowling. Such an honest player and really knows how to play within his own capabilities.

Butts really putting together some great form.

Murray looking beastly again.

Keays is another putting together some really solid form (although watching him kick a football is painful).

Dawson played a great captain’s game after an absolute stinker last week.

Murphy was actually pretty good I thought. Wet weather suited him.

Bad:
Laird’s disposal and decision making.

Brodie Smith. Put a fork in him.

Rachele. Confidence shot. Zero impact.

O’Brien’s ruckwork - he has absolutely no idea where he’s tapping it, or why he’s tapping it there.

Michalanney’s disposal is garbage.

Ugly:
Some of the most ludicrous umpiring I’ve seen in a long time. Comical deliberate decisions against both sides. Comical kicking in danger decisions not paid to both sides. Obvious holding the ball decisions not paid to both sides. Himmelberg took a strong mark AND had his arm ripped off and it was play on. Umpiring is at an all-time low and the AFL have their head in the sand.

Sholl is putting together a very good season. Probably our most improved player (Nank?)
Looks like he will make a good long career for himself

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was one of those games where I struggled to care much about the result, so I just ended up watching for individual players instead. There is some exciting youth in our team at the moment!

Taylor absolutely belongs. Great to see what he could do with a full game, and he's got some tricks! He works well with Soligo, both very clever mids.

Thilthorpe back in the last quarter pushing defenders over and kicking two goals is the feelgood moment of the season for us, albeit that is a low bar. He did more in one quarter than Himmelberg managed in three. See you in charcoal and orange next year, Elliot.

Laird with his best game for the season tonight. The conditions suited him! I still have him behind Crouch in the "pick one senior midfielder to retain" stakes, but this was a very good showing from Laird, other than not reading the room re: deliberate out of bound interpretations.

Sholl has put together a surprisingly good body of work this season. I had him on the certain delist pile at the start of the year, but to his credit he's put in some impressive performances.

Nice to see Bond get a full game on his debut. Didn't get much ball but neither did his opponent. To be fair, it wasn't down there much. Decent debut.

I like both of Dowling and Berry, but I'm not convinced there will be room for both going forward. At least Dowling knows how to kick a goal!

Murray is fortunate not to have clashed heads with his opponent... but damn, it put a smile on my face. I can't help it, I'm just a sucker for seeing that giant lunk smash into people :)

Cook still doing barely enough, but as usual there was some quality along the way.

Outside of Himmelberg, the lowlights were Smith, Murphy and Rachele, although to be fair all three were okay early on. Just fell out of the game entirely once it got really wet. All three should be suited to wet conditions so it was disappointing to see.

Rachele looks a bit stumpy imo. Doesn't seem to have much pace when he's got the ball at the moment. Put on too much size?

He's lacking in hurt factor for someone who supposedly has a lot of talent.
There is something wrong with Rachele.

just doesn't seem to want it enough.

Fun game to watch. Good to see the kids getting meaningful minutes on the ball. Happy with all sub 50 gamers tonight

Interesting that we have so many 194cm+ players right now though. So many we had a 201cm sub, with Curtin in the 2's and Worrell Injured.

It really highlights that our actual best 22 is about to get very very tall.

. Last year was Dawson and Laird as a two man wrecking ball, alongside a hope and a prayer.

This year, we've seen Rankine has come in and right now, is a top 10 player in the comp as a mid--forward. Dawson has backed up last year quite well, though not to the same heights. Soligo has come on and done a solid job as a third mid. Laird is still putting up respectable numbers, ditto Matt Crouch pre-injury. The base is there for a rather solid and well rounded group in 2025, though it probably requires Soligo to take the next step without any genuine additions - or a big in and under clearance winner to come forth. A new ruck, and one that could help out with ground work, would go a long way as well.

Genuine LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe he's played them at the right time, and not rushed them in and ruined their careers? He might have learned something from McAsey.
Oh of course, he “timed” each players development perfectly.

Funny that the week before Taylor was picked Nicks said he had stuff to work on. He’s an emergency with a late call up and shows he belongs. But yeah Nicks played him at the right time.

Dude have some belief in your own opinions, they don’t have to all be the clubs.

And this is what I was talking about yesterday, you scrutinise the SANFL in the best interests of the club but when it comes to the actual clubs employees it’s complete faith because they work at the club. It’s an idiotic faith system you have there given employees get sacked, then what? You’ll change your opinion to back the clubs decision?

I hope Nicks is feeling really, really stupid for not wanting to play youth and then seeing how well they've performed.
Who’s to say they would have performed at this level if selected earlier? Maybe he’s selected them when they were ready?

There is something wrong with Rachele.

just doesn't seem to want it enough.
Did you see his reaction after he kicked that goal? He wants it alright! Was working hard without any reward i thought and was actually doing the team thing if he couldn't take clean possession (which was hard in those conditions).

I hope Nicks is feeling really, really stupid for not wanting to play youth and then seeing how well they've performed.
Unfortunately I don't think self awareness is a strong character trait

Did you see his reaction after he kicked that goal? He wants it alright! Was working hard without any reward i thought and was actually doing the team thing if he couldn't take clean possession (which was hard in those conditions).
His reaction screamed relief to me

A thank goodness moment

Just not quite happening for him at the moment. Working hard and contributing but confidence seems a little low. Will turn around

Who’s to say they would have performed at this level if selected earlier? Maybe he’s selected them when they were ready?
And another one.

Nick’s given you a lot of confidence this year he knows what he’s doing? Do I really need to list his errors again?

But when the week leading up to Taylor’s late call up he’s saying he’s got stuff to work on and yet plays due to injury, shows he belongs and keeps his place, you know Nicks doesn’t have a clue.

But let’s look at what you’ve said, you think he’s just happened to time the playing of each kid just as they are ready, they weren’t ready a few weeks before but just that week. Is that what you’re really suggesting?

Had the game on in the background last night, so wasn't totally engaged, but saw enough to come to the following;

Good:
  • Thilthorpe coming on and going whack in the last quarter for a relatively soft kill. I think that did his confidence the world of good, regardless of him starting as sub. His selection as sub wasn't a disaster.
  • Starts for Bond and Taylor
  • Dowling! 20 touches, 5 tackles and a goal!
  • Berry

Bad:
  • Getting the 4 points. Yeah I said it.
  • Berry likely leaving the club (can't blame him)

Ugly:
  • #15 - Nicholls
  • Brodie Smith - Time to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back