Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
  • Sholl, well on his way to another contract
  • Dowling. Second home game in a row he's kicked a clutch goal in the last. Growing into it.
  • Taylor. Has it.
  • Bond. If he can continue that form, he's the next Luke Brown.
  • Thrillthorpe. Crowd went bonkers when he took that mark. The fend off on the wing too.:fire:

Bad:
- RossBall

Ugly:
-Umpiring. The game is cooked. HTB is cooked. Insufficient intent is cooked. How is it insufficient intent of the player kicking the ball when the oppo player is right there and can keep the ball in? THAT'S insufficient intent, not a shank off the side of the boot. Drives me bonkers. I know it's the rule, but it's a stupid rule. Just make it last touch ffs.

I really wish someone at the club would publicly call out the horrendous pathetic umpiring we've copped, particularly in last few weeks.

Chris Scott calls it out all the time.

Sick of the club being weak in this regard.

The umpiring last night was next level bad. Number 15 appeared like he was full on cheating, completely different interpretations depending on who had the ball. Fogarty and Walker being held all night. It was horrible. Just because we won doesn’t mean we shouldn’t complain. Saw Tex have a chat to number 15 at the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I would’ve preferred with the sub usage is for it to be used at HT, like we have in past games. I kinda understand not playing him a full game, but I reckon RT could’ve kept his momentum for a half and allowed him to build his confidence even more

My doubts about Nicks stand but this looks like a united playing group.
Thilthorpe is under there somewhere, WELCOME BACK!! :thumbsupv1: :D
GOOD:
1720913641581.png

Also GOOD:
--- winning with several kids who-can-footy in the side.
Taylor, Bond and Dowling, take a bow!
--- our Chicken Man Soligo, seemed to be everywhere, he's everywhere.
--- we scrapped harder, better and longer than they did (suck shit Lyon)
--- I've been an outspoken critic of Sholl but he played well last night. Goodonim.
--- the shepherd put on by Cook to enable the Rachele goal :thumbsupv1: .
KUDOS:
--- to the bravehearts who sat out in the miserable cold and wet to cheer the boys on.

Last edited:
Im not fed any ****ing thing. Just sick of the herd mentality in here. Nicks has made some monumental mistakes, never said he didnt. I’d prefer Buckley as coach going forward. But the way you lot carry on is ridiculous. You all think you know better, but the fact is, you don’t have a clue. You harp on every tiny little thing as if it’s the end of the world. Injuries happened, kids got played, kids do well so end up playing some more. Nicks made mistakes, learns from them and hopefully will be better in the future.
This times 1000

One thing I would’ve preferred with the sub usage is for it to be used at HT, like we have in past games. I kinda understand not playing him a full game, but I reckon RT could’ve kept his momentum for a half and allowed him to build his confidence even more

To be honest I actually thought they might pull the pin and not even sub him in during half time with the conditions.
They wouldn’t want him to do much ruck work I wouldn’t have thought first up which reduced flexibility when to use him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

BAD:
--- the hell-awful Umpiring :mad:; bizarre htb decisions and ridiculous use of the 'insufficient intent" rule (they were playing on an ice rink with a ball-shaped block of ice ffs). Plenty of high hits not called.
--- also, the non-calls of several really bad kicking-in-danger incidents against both teams. If Murphy's attempted kick had got that bloke in the head it would've killed him.
--- ROB again, sadly, outrucked.

--- also this: " BEST Adelaide: Dawson, Laird :oops:, Sholl, Keays, Taylor", wtf?
Kicks do not = effectiveness. Laird bombed away all night (but I woulda been happier if he low-grubbed some chaos-ball forward).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really enjoyed the game. We were a different team after half time - something changed and our intent and intensity lifted, as did our skill level (which is bizarre given the rain).

The collective crowd enthusiasm seeing TT back playing in the last qtr was palpable. A beautiful thing

Last edited:
And another one.

Nick’s given you a lot of confidence this year he knows what he’s doing? Do I really need to list his errors again?

But when the week leading up to Taylor’s late call up he’s saying he’s got stuff to work on and yet plays due to injury, shows he belongs and keeps his place, you know Nicks doesn’t have a clue.

But let’s look at what you’ve said, you think he’s just happened to time the playing of each kid just as they are ready, they weren’t ready a few weeks before but just that week. Is that what you’re really suggesting?
It's always the argument.
People call for a kid to debut- rebuttal is they are not ready, got stuff to work on, won't be better than an incumbent.

Injury happens, they get called up. They play well then it's 'they must have been picked at the right time'.

Meaning no one has ever spent too much time in the 2s and all needed exactly how many games they played there... amazing how injuries/suspensions just happen to line up with the exact amount of development a player needs.

Im not fed any ****ing thing. Just sick of the herd mentality in here. Nicks has made some monumental mistakes, never said he didnt. I’d prefer Buckley as coach going forward. But the way you lot carry on is ridiculous. You all think you know better, but the fact is, you don’t have a clue. You harp on every tiny little thing as if it’s the end of the world. Injuries happened, kids got played, kids do well so end up playing some more. Nicks made mistakes, learns from them and hopefully will be better in the future.
I don’t want to be having a ‘learning’ coach at this stage of his tenure, experience. Guy should know his way better. My view.

You don’t know wtf is going on behind the scenes. Stop pretending you do.

Well to be fair, Nicks did say he literally had no intentions of debuting anyone this year and he was in no rush to play Curtin. Dowling, Taylor, Bond only got games after the season was done and his favoured guys didnt get the job done. We can only go on the evidence put in front of us. The evidence suggests Nicks is only taking opportunities now because he is auditioning for next year. As any coach would in this situation.

But how do we explain Smith? Taylor being sub twice? Curtin being subbed twice for a total of 4.5 quarters of game time over two games? There just seems to be some weird selections going on that doesn't add up.

And another one.

Nick’s given you a lot of confidence this year he knows what he’s doing? Do I really need to list his errors again?

But when the week leading up to Taylor’s late call up he’s saying he’s got stuff to work on and yet plays due to injury, shows he belongs and keeps his place, you know Nicks doesn’t have a clue.

But let’s look at what you’ve said, you think he’s just happened to time the playing of each kid just as they are ready, they weren’t ready a few weeks before but just that week. Is that what you’re really suggesting?

You take things to literally. Most of the AFL media is just filling space. Means nothing what he says in the media around selection and development.
And most interesting with this playing the kids - is that it is the “kids” he inherited, ones we invested a bucket load of draft capital in a super draft that are the ones missing out.

Everyone of the old boys is playing - because we only have 3 left with Sloane retired and Crouch injured

Its McHenry, Jones and Schoenberg that have made way (beside injured players Milera, Hinge, Worrell, Pedlar) - and it was incumbent on the coach to give them as many chances as he could

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bit of a crap game to watch and not a lot of highlights, especially when the only thing on the line is pick 4.

But seeing the kids run around and have a real crack was great. TT return was great, and hopefully fit enough for next week. Fogs monstering of the three defenders to still get it out was nice, Texan's big fend off, Taylor and Soligo finding time and space, and TT's first goal all good moments.

Also enjoyed seeing Rasch get a pressure realise goal at the end.

But that umpiring was just atrocious - how any of those soccers off the ground could be inefficient intent is beyond me.

BAD:
--- the hell-awful Umpiring :mad:; bizarre htb decisions and ridiculous use of the 'insufficient intent" rule (they were playing on an ice rink with a ball-shaped block of ice ffs). Plenty of high hits not called.
--- also, the non-calls of several really bad kicking-in-danger incidents against both teams. If Murphy's attempted kick had got that bloke in the head it would've killed him.
--- ROB again, sadly, outrucked.

--- also this: " BEST Adelaide: Dawson, Laird :oops:, Sholl, Keays, Taylor", wtf?
Kicks do not = effectiveness. Laird bombed away all night (but I woulda been happier if he low-grubbed some chaos-ball forward).
At, or near half time, Laird had 14 touches, 9 turnovers and 3 free kicks against. He was having a stinker… but to be fair, his last half in the wet was excellent. Ended up with 31 touches, 12 turnovers, 7 clearances, 13 tackles.

He was one of the main reasons why we were dominant in the last half. And while he has certainly been frustrating to watch this year and we should be giving more and more time to young mids in the centre of the ground, he was still one of the best last night. He just was.

Bit of a crap game to watch and not a lot of highlights, especially when the only thing on the line is pick 4.

But seeing the kids run around and have a real crack was great. TT return was great, and hopefully fit enough for next week. Fogs monstering of the three defenders to still get it out was nice, Texan's big fend off, Taylor and Soligo finding time and space, and TT's first goal all good moments.

Also enjoyed seeing Rasch get a pressure realise goal at the end.

But that umpiring was just atrocious - how any of those soccers off the ground could be inefficient intent is beyond me.
Yeah I was showing my american nephews from NY this game. Imagine my disappointment this crap spectacle occurred. It was hard to watch. Yes it was the weather. I get it. Just stating not a good example of the great game.

I really wish someone at the club would publicly call out the horrendous pathetic umpiring we've copped, particularly in last few weeks.

Chris Scott calls it out all the time.

Sick of the club being weak in this regard.
Insufficient intent is getting talked about but what about the amount of HTBs not paid to us and Fog and Tex being held all night and getting nothing? I don't usually complain about umpiring but they were shit last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back