AFL Toast RND 17: Win Against The Cold Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Good bounce back after the second half last week.
The efficiency inside 50 was up :thumbsu:
Tackles inside 50 = 12 😍
Contested marks + 6 😍
Stoppage goals + 3 😍
Goals conceded from turnovers down :thumbsu:
Everyone seemed to play their part at times. Good even team effort.
Can not go back to two rucks and Wright. Can only play two of the three with Caddy playing.
Pies paid the price for not tagging Merrett. They have also gone too far offensive and they run in front of the ball too much and can no longer get their defensive structure back going the other way.

It feels mean spirited but one of my favourite things after a win is watching the oppo coach press conference

McRae is sort of likable, but also sort of an arrogant twat who believes the pies have cracked the code through superior modern mateship or whatever.

Really enjoyed watching him struggle for answers! Maybe that makes me a bad person 🤣

Think I’ll like him more if Collingwood just stick around in mid table.

It feels mean spirited but one of my favourite things after a win is watching the oppo coach press conference

McRae is sort of likable, but also sort of an arrogant twat who believes the pies have cracked the code through superior modern mateship or whatever.

Really enjoyed watching him struggle for answers! Maybe that makes me a bad person 🤣

Think I’ll like him more if Collingwood just stick around in mid table.
Nah, he's all good. They just have to get busy.

Good bounce back after the second half last week.
The efficiency inside 50 was up :thumbsu:
Tackles inside 50 = 12 😍
Contested marks + 6 😍
Stoppage goals + 3 😍
Goals conceded from turnovers down :thumbsu:
Everyone seemed to play their part at times. Good even team effort.
Can not go back to two rucks and Wright. Can only play two of the three with Caddy playing.
Pies paid the price for not tagging Merrett. They have also gone too far offensive and they run in front of the ball too much and can no longer get their defensive structure back going the other way.
Was saying the last part to a mate at the game. They've always been aggressive like that but get bailed out by a well organised backline. This year the backline is well down on form/personnel so it's not working. Starting to wonder if Macrae is capable of a plan b, he couldn't turn tide last week either (and also let suns mids have a field day).

Re the inside 50 tackles, what a turnaround from anzac day! It was 14-2 pies way that game. We've played a few different styles this year but the high pressure style has been my favourite (gws was another game where we played this style from memory, another memorable win).

Early on the smarts of some players hurt and it was the usual suspects. As Hodge pointed out when Crisp kicked a goal Archie was too slow to react. Laverde could have stopped another but ran to the wrong opponent. Draper was costing us with a few things (like grabbing the ball out of the ruck in their forward line). Later on he was outstanding though. But those lack of smarts lead to them kicking those early 5 goals.

Zach, Caldwell and Durham superstars.
Caddy gave us an aura we haven't had for a long time.
Shiel plays like that and he is a lock, all of a sudden we have a couple of genuine jets in the midfield - that was the best and cleanest I have seen him with us.

Hopefully Scott picks the best balanced team going forward as opposed to trying to fit the veterans in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We look to have taken one area our game to a new level. Our marking presence all over the ground has gone through the roof. The move of Jones to the wing has turned what would be some 50/50 contests to our ball now with his height. Cox is starting to grab some marks in one on one situations...where it looks like the opposition has no chance because he is so dam tall. Dursma can take a grab as well. Then you have Durham taking a couple of contested grabs each game through the middle. Even Draper has been getting a few in packs over the last few games. Rids, McKay, Lav and Red dog all can mark well down back. Adding Caddy to forward line who has a great jump and reach as well. It is starting to look like a real point of difference that opposition will have to deal with.

We look to have taken one area our game to a new level. Our marking presence all over the ground has gone through the roof. The move of Jones to the wing has turned what would be some 50/50 contests to our ball now with his height. Cox is starting to grab some marks in one on one situations...where it looks like the opposition has no chance because he is so dam tall. Dursma can take a grab as well. Then you have Durham taking a couple of contested grabs each game through the middle. Even Draper has been getting a few in packs over the last few games. Rids, McKay, Lav and Red dog all can mark well down back. Adding Caddy to forward line who has a great jump and reach as well. It is starting to look like a real point of difference that opposition will have to deal with.
Having marking power is huge esp back end of the season when conditions are drier/warmer.

The point of difference too is that the likes of Jones, Caddy, Dursma and Cox are still great ground ball players. Jones tackling is massive.

The Good;

Zac Merrett - the best we've had since Hird. One of, if not the best field kick in he comp and duly should be in the conversion for he Brownlow and in line for his 5th AA guernsey

Nate Caddy - Kid is going to be a star. Running under the ball will improve as he grows with confidence and picking up the speed of the game. A HUGE positive

Jye Caldwell - Has transformed into mr reliable this year after glimpses since he was brought over from GWS. Love hat he does it on the inside bu has the ability on the outside.

Harry Jones - We can all agree, this has been a masterstroke from Scott. Is growing in confidence week to week. When the fas starts grow o 4 quarters, we've got some serious weapons on the wing.

Jordan Ridley - Pure class

Dylan Shiel - Resolve I had double Dylan held. Not only to get back in but from Q1 to finish as strong as he did was as big a positive as any from the game.

Kyle Langford - 4 quarters and we win? no coincidence I say.

The bad;

(Opposition) Fast starts.... again. Can we take control of a game early for once and then just control the narrative from there please.

Runs of goals again, another 4 in the first, last 5/6 goals to put me on edge that we may lose late.. again

We allow the same players the same leashes. Sidebum again had a field day. Pendlebury took us to task a few times.

The ugly;
Wins against top 8 sides = 0 lol

Can opposition supporters please stop with this "easy fixture" bullshit? Every team plays all the other teams once. Then have six double ups. Our double ups are Saints, Swans, Eagles, Pies, Crows and Gold Coast. Eagles the only "gimme" out of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back