Autopsy Roast & Toast v GWS and Changes for Port

Top 5 v GWS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much credit for beating them in the centre? That midfield last week pantsed the best stoppage team in the comp, scored around 80 points from clearances. Half way through the last we’d held them to 7 scores from clearance. Unfortunately they kicked 7 straight while we kick 5.6
One of the midfields yesterday was a rolls-royce operation full of very experienced players who have had enormous draft capital spent on them, the other was undermanned and had plenty of kids. The fact that the latter has had a much more impressive track-record all year doesn't change that.

Everyone we played in the centre yesterday has already peaked in their career (except when Ryan went in to ruck, and he's poor). This isn't the midfield of a rebuilding side, it's the midfield of a side that thought it would be premiership contention right now and spent everything it could to bolster said midfield. It should be graded on that basis. If we'd put in that performance with Dow, Sonsie and KMac2 then I'd be impressed and giving the club credit.

I’m glad someone else thought Sampson showed a bit. I think our coaches has stuffed his development up as he used to be a good leading mark and kick in the VFL. This one handed rubbish has to be limited to only when he is no chance

I was weird. For the first time he actually physically held his own. But couldn't hold onto the ball. He wanted to hand ball when he can kick fine. Sort of like he can be skilled or physical but not both. He's one who is starting to show that he can be AFL standard long term. But there is a long way to go.

I liked the effort from Hugo who is now starting to get up to around the 50 game mark and starting to look the goods.

Kosi has now put together a block of games where he is competing and flying for the ball and staying in the contest instead of just being a witches hat.

I think Ryan could do with a block of games going into the end of the year to try and get some much needed experience into him. Hopefully this would help his off season as well as he would go into summer knowing what it is he needs to work on to be AFL ready.

I want Sonsie to be given a go in the guts for an entire game. Just want Yze to look him in the eye today during their debrief and say "Mate, Tim is out and you are stepping in to that midfield position, I want you to just show us what you are made of".

Hopper is starting to get it together and put some work in. Liked his first half, but like Dusty this year the second half he becomes a bit less seen.

Graham had his best game of the year. Ran well and gave a hand in and around the contest.

Prestia's performance has me really wanting to sign him on for 1 more year and try and keep his body good.

Tommy Brown I think could do with a week in the 2's to get his confidence and to get the understanding that he does belong at this level.

Green did some nice things but just needs more experience in the AFL system to get the speed going.

Changes:
Out: Taranto (conc), Brown, McIntosh
In: Blight, Smith, Trezise

Miller Blight Broad
Trezise Rioli Vlastuin
Hugo Prestia Short
Mansell Baker Bolton
Kosi Balta Ryan
Nank Hopper Sonsie
Graham Smith Baker Banks
Sub: Green

A few positive notes from yesterday.

- This is first time we scored above 80 points since Sydney in Round 3.

- Our midfield did well with the clearances, contested positions, and territory.

Despite kicking above 80 points, I still think our forward line is a problem. It looks like a deep issue too, so I don’t know what we’ll do to fix it

Samson Ryan was fine - I think even he was surprised to have got two hands to as many high balls as he did.
Next step Samo, holding onto the thing.
With Green (excellent), Mansell (excellent) and M Rioli (maybe back this week?) around a guy who can always compete, and bring the ball to ground, we'll be threatening enough inside 50.

Massively concerning is how easily the ball went end to end. GWS scored a goal on nearly every second entry. Not good.

I'll give Miller a fair bit of leeway for the stinker based on the likelihood he came into the year expecting to play maybe 10 games, and he's been our #1 key back with the #1 job since April. A little confounded as to why we'd put Blight out to deploy Balta in a position he's supposedly not supposed to play in when we've got tall people fit.

Hugo Ralphsmith was fantastic. Hats off. I didn't mind how Tom Brown looked forward...

And I think Sonsie is done if he's not playing midfield with the team at this level.

IN: Blight, McAuliffe
OUT: Taranto, Sonsie

Vlastuin Miller Trezise
Rioli Blight Broad
Ralphsmith Prestia Banks
Mansell Balta Baker
Green Ryan Koschitzke

Nankervis Hopper Bolton

Graham McAuliffe Brown Short

Sub: Kmac (we need someone who can fight the fight)

Problem is that of our non premiership
Good summary. After a centre bounce if the ball clears the circle congestion, hopper, Tarranto, Prestia and Graham all struggle metres behind their opponents so the do better if it’s in tight. But even when they get it they either lack the composure, quick hands or creativity to get into space or find someone who is - hence their disposals are so often just throw on the boot kicks or not hitting targets or going to our advantage. They are not A grade (Prestia wax but isn’t any more).
Mentioned these exact points during the game day thread. Also told bro weeks before GWS started losing that they aren't much faster than us and good faster sides will beat them easily and it happened. They're just got younger better playing list than ours overall and beat us bc of this.

A very positive performance. Keeping the orange ‘tsunami’ to 36 inside 50’s is extraordinary. Conceding 17 goals is more of a coaching issue than anything else … 17 goals from just 36 I50’s would have to be a record.

Won CP, clearances and 53-36 I50 … loss was down to poor defensive structures and our own poor conversion and connection up forward.

A great game from Banks … which I say only because of the way he bounced back from a horrid first half. 4 touches with only 1 effective in first half …then 12 touches with 11 effective in second half with 5 x SI and a GA. This is why you don’t make youngsters SUB… gotta give them a chance to work through a game!

Kosi keep earning his keep. 2.2 and 7 x SI. Given he’s only just turned 24yo and we gave up pick-49 he looks like a solid pick.

Liked what I saw from Hugo, Steely, Brown and Mansell. All four are going to get better and better with every game. Great to see Green get 3 x goals… early days but everyone has had him a likely delisting, but he showed a few good signs beyond just his goals - Cumbo or Green we all know who is being retained.

Every times Tresize has set foot on an AFL oval he has looked great at the level. No more SUBS vest for him. Toby Greene absolutely torched Broad today…. and Short was completely ineffectual again… just plant Miller, Balta, Brown and Tresize in the backline and let them grow together.

Sonsie very poor. Whilst I’d like to see him with some midfield minutes, he can’t be so invisible at half forward. He should get some midfield time with TT out next week, and I’ll be very worried if he doesn’t show something.

Wasting our time playing Macca. He’s been ok for a few recent games, but it absolutely KILLS me to see Tresize sub and Smith in VFL with Macca spudding it up most weeks. What is the point of playing Macca, seriously?

Rioli got a bit of the ball but was pretty putrid all day with loads of errors. Ditto Prestia. Baker doesn’t do enough often enough.

Hopper continues to build and I pray he gets a few seasons injury free as I know he will be a gun.

Graham played his best game of the year and credit to him. But i still think best he leaves and we get the compo pick.

Overall I walked away pretty happy, as 53-36 I50’s, winning CP and winning clearances shows what we can produce with something resembling a full strength midfield. Lynch, Lefau and Dusty up forward probably reverses that result today.

I’m actually pretty happy with GWS winning, in that the more interstate teams who might make the finals meaning Bombers and Pies don’t the better!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good summary, but only harsh on Prestia as he did get our midfield moving. I still want him to retire this year bc i'm sick of him playing either unfit or constantly out injured.

One of the midfields yesterday was a rolls-royce operation full of very experienced players who have had enormous draft capital spent on them, the other was undermanned and had plenty of kids. The fact that the latter has had a much more impressive track-record all year doesn't change that.

Everyone we played in the centre yesterday has already peaked in their career (except when Ryan went in to ruck, and he's poor). This isn't the midfield of a rebuilding side, it's the midfield of a side that thought it would be premiership contention right now and spent everything it could to bolster said midfield. It should be graded on that basis. If we'd put in that performance with Dow, Sonsie and KMac2 then I'd be impressed and giving the club credit.
Undermanned? The only guy not playing was Josh Kelly. I wouldn’t have called our midfield undermanned last week because Prestia didn’t play.

Yes, but Cogs playing a full match & Kelly in the middle and i dare say the part you were happy about is less of a win.

Next year, Dusty most likely wont be around and who f-ing knows with the other 2 too.

The positive today was the few kids that played well. The older guys are just getting older & the blokes out are probably still out most of next year.

But agree with the sentiment that i was happy with the day. Seeing Mansell & Green put in good performances is a definite positive.
Dusty isn't best 22 anymore and if he played yesterday another kid would've been out and possibly a bigger loss. Love him , but we are not a Nursing home and shouldn't be wheel chairing these guys onto the field anymore. Too many senior players getting a free ride atm and it's wasting another season of development.

It was tried on both wings, Ralphsmith and Banks were on the wing for most of the game. Macintosh played predominantly forward, he only went to the wing when one of them went off.
And how did Mac go forward, barely touched it. 8 possessions, 0 tackles. Was he there for his defensive running, if you want that you want to find another Mansell, who is finally developing into a good player.

People keep talking like we have a strong team in … here is my list of players missing from our best-30:

Grimes
Lynch
Lefau
Martin
Ross
MRJ
Young
Clarke
Gibcus
Campbell
Bauer
Pickett

That’s a hell of a lot of quality and depth.

only Lynch, Ross, MRJ, LeFau and Gibcus would be best 22 atm. Lynch has i reckon one good season left so he needs a replacement going into the future.

Campbell and Clarke are hope and nothing more until we see more.
Young is a spud and Blight has gone passed him.
Martin, Grimes and Pickett are cooked
Bauer hasn't shown much except he's a beautiful kick and loves to take the odd hanger.
Gray is better than Bauer moving forward.

The problem with above is there are no 190cm fast big mids and that's what we need . Those names above may get us 4 extra wins a year if we are lucky as they don't solve our major problem of having mids who can win a hard ball, run and transition both ways all day.

You're one of those blokes that makes the mistake of overrating the list based on the past or just by a few highlight reels.

That’s not a hell of a lot of quality and depth as you're saying, but just a hell of a lot of quantity and with some hope of depth.

only Lynch, Ross, MRJ, LeFau and Gibcus would be best 22 atm. Lynch has i reckon one good season left so he needs a replacement going into the future.

Campbell and Clarke are hope and nothing more until we see more.
Young is a spud and Blight has gone passed him.
Martin, Grimes and Pickett are cooked
Bauer hasn't shown much except he's a beautiful kick and loves to take the odd hanger.
Gray is better than Bauer moving forward.

The problem with above is there are no 190cm fast big mids and that's what we need . Those names above may get us 4 extra wins a year if we are lucky as they don't solve our major problem of having mids who can win a hard ball, run and transition both ways all day.

You're one of those blokes that makes the mistake of overrating the list based on the past or just by a few highlight reels.

That’s not a hell of a lot of quality and depth as you're saying, but just a hell of a lot of quantity and with some hope of depth.

And to be real, only Lynch is a player who would be "best 22" in a finals side.

Undermanned? The only guy not playing was Josh Kelly. I wouldn’t have called our midfield undermanned last week because Prestia didn’t play.

They also lost Cogs early.

The midfield is "4 blokes" at any 1 time. so 50% of their best midfield was out.

When we have Taranto & Hopper out. We are undermanned in the middle. So why would it not be called the same when they are missing Cogs & Kelly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd player. Stands up really well in contest and is clearly athletic but his mindset isn't close to AFL standard at this point. Needs to watch Vlastuin, Rance and Grimes highlights and realise that is the attitude to have as an AFL defender.
Makes you wonder what he's being told by the coaches. I'm sure they are aware of what he's doing on the field, perhaps they have instructed him not to get sucked into chasing around for the contest and hold so.e structure?
That might make sense while he is settling into the side and learning at this level, leave that to the older brigade.
Then again, he might not be doing what is asked or worryingly the coaches are oblivious.
Personally I don't believe it's the coaches being oblivious, but I'm sure a few in here would be happy to go with that.

For all the whacks McIntosh cops, did anyone, particularly those at the game, notice him camped inside our F50.
Then you look at the low inside 50’s GWS had…see the correlation? Their run from D50 was cramped by McIntosh again playing a sacrificial role.
And people on here want to talk about “game plan” FFS. wouldn’t notice if it smacked you in the face.
Masterstroke from Yze.
8 possessions, 0 tackles, two clangers , two inside 50's and one goal assist says bull shit to me Livo.
What did he do turn into some evil alien and gobble up Giants? lol

A few positive notes from yesterday.

- This is first time we scored above 80 points since Sydney in Round 3.

- Our midfield did well with the clearances, contested positions, and territory.

Despite kicking above 80 points, I still think our forward line is a problem. It looks like a deep issue too, so I don’t know what we’ll do to fix it
When the player who looks the most dangerous on the day is a half back flanker turned forward (Rhyan Mansell), you're in BIG, BIG strife.

We'll take a while to get this area of the ground right again, but the same can be said for everywhere on the field.

Wasnt his one goal today off a pretty soft free? Doesnt really deserve any frees the way he plays. Has he ever clunked a mark that wasnt a double grab? He makes Kosi look like prime Carey.
The free was there, had his arm grabbed/pulled back then the oppo had his arms wrapped around him, both free kicks.
You may say soft but probably just rare that it gets paid to one of our forwards right near goals.

MASTERSTROKE! WTF
GIF by South Park

RIP Livo :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :straining:

Mentioned these exact points during the game day thread. Also told bro weeks before GWS started losing that they aren't much faster than us and good faster sides will beat them easily and it happened. They're just got younger better playing list than ours overall and beat us bc of this.
Agree and it will take more than 2-3 years to fix our issues

People keep talking like we have a strong team in … here is my list of players missing from our best-30:

Yes but in terms of difference between last and even 8th

Grimes. Cooked so irrelevant
Lynch same coz he won’t play enough
Lefau ok
Martin. Cooked
Ross yes he is better than many
MRJ. same as Ross
Young was dropped because he is average
Clarke hardly set world on fire
Gibcus yes
Campbell recent form ordinary
Bauer not sure we will make it
Pickett maybe an upgrade on some

In terms of next year and beyond there’s only 3-4 and I don’t reckon that gets us to 8th

That’s a hell of a lot of quality and depth. Some

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & Toast v GWS and Changes for Port

Back