• Ryan

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sonsie (sub)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez these comments are harsh.

Honestly, what were people expecting when they saw TT, Vlastuin and even Graham were out on Thursday night? Replaced by inexperienced kids?

I gave us no chance going into the game, and against those notorious downhill skiers needing percentage I was prepared for a 15+ goal smashing, so to be right in the game at 3/4 time was a great effort. A disappointing end, but that’ll happen when your team is full of youth and is carrying some cooked oldies.

I was actually really happy with a lot of what I saw. With kids with less than 30-40 games, it’s not about seeing consistency throughout a game as that rarely happens, it’s about seeing ‘moments’ where you go “Yeah, Ok …. That was really good”.

Tom Brown and a couple of contested grabs. Sam Banks with some great line breaking runs. Tresize with numerous great moves in defence that involved more than just the vanilla playbook. Campbell, Green and Mansell all looked really dangerous at times.

And Kaleb Smith, in what was effectively his debut game, had 3 touches first quarter, zero second quarter and could’ve dropped his head. But he then 11 touches in the second half, and did some terrific things and showed great speed at times - a fantastic ‘first’ game given the hostile environment.

But the thing that impressed me most was the decent level of ball winning:

Banks : 17 touches (21yo)
Tresize: 15 (22yo)
Campbell: 19 (19yo)
Green: 13 (20yo)
Smith : 14 (19yo)

And all 5 of those guys came in with less than 16 games under their belt. Add to that Dow, Sonsie, Brown and Ryan, and we had 9 x players with less than 32-games.

So the performance was full of merit, as it’s almost impossible to compete with that level of inexperience.

It really was our experienced heads that let us down a lot. Nank was ordinary before going off. Broad had a shocker, to go with getting demolished by Toby Greene last week. Macca was Macca … did a couple of good things and half a dozen sh*te things… just non-existent for 45-minutes at a time … I honestly don’t know where he goes as he’s not on the bench and I’m pretty certain he’s not on the field. Balta had a poor game. Hopper’s ball use was bad - always tries to do too much and find the ‘perfect play’ … but he’s not polished enough for that, especially in those conditions. But happy he got through another game and he will get better and better.

So I was actually really happy, as I saw more promising signs that amongst Green, Smith, Campbell, Banks and Tresize we might actually have some really good quality players. And Mansell is developing into a really good pressure forward which I didn’t think he had in him. I’m very confident in T Brown making the grade… easy to forget he’s 20yo with only 17 games. And Hugo looks like a 10-year winger - he’ll never be a star, but he just keeps on improving and he’s certainly no longer questionable in regards to his hardness.

Still big question marks on Sonsie, Dow and Ryan, but overall our cohort of sub 32-game players looked really promising tonight.

I just hope they drop Macca or make him sub again so all these kids remain in the 22. Of Vlastuin comes back and Tresize or Brown go out and Broad/Short remain I’ll be absolutely filthy. Get another 5-games to close out 2024 into these kids!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He is called Nank the Tank for a reason lol

happy bart simpson GIF
Sean Connery GIF by James Bond 007

Nank was subbed because he was about to go have a concussion test so rather than waste 15 minutes waiting for the result they subbed him. He'll miss next week with concussion.

Samson was about to get subbed with a sore ankle until Nank went down.

Baker did a job on Butters which I didn't notice live. Certainly limited Butters' influence.

Vlas and Taranto back for sure. Dusty hopefully.

Yze was a bit prickly tonight which was different to his usual demeanour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised that the general overarching tone in here is negative. Port are outside the top 4 on percentage alone and we probably beat them if Taranto and Lynch play.
First the positives:
Game plan - Was it just me or did we finally show a semblance of a game plan tonight? It was just hints but ✅
Banks - I can see this guy becoming a real accumulator for us. He knows how to find the footy and gets in the right spots. He was pretty good today, but I could really see the potential.
Mansell - Strung a couple together now. He needs to find a level he can replicate every week because his off weeks are very bad but can see why we re-signed him.
Rioli - I dunno man, half back flankers with his attributes don't grow on trees. One of his best games I've seen. Hitting the scoreboard as well. He is the one I'd prefer to keep.
Trezise + Smith - Leave them in for the balance of the season please.
Prestia, Hopper Nank - all very good, especially Prestia. He just makes us so much better as a midfield unit.

Negatives:
Short - I'm just over him getting a free ride. He just boots it long with no rhyme or reason. He has been horrible for 90% of the season. He seems like a great guy, but it's time for him to move on.
Broad - Worst game I think I've ever seen him play.
Ryan - Why did we give him a multi year deal? I just can't see it, or at least see it for long enough.
Kosi - Step back today after a run of decent/good form.
Bolton - Don't get me wrong, he had a good game today but he burned a lot of team mates in better positions today. Feels like he is only in it for himself at present.

I can't wait for this season to be over. I'm enjoying watching the kids but with how important the trade and draft periods will be this year for the future of this club, I just want to get stuck into it.

We paying $4’s next week.

Load job

We aint winning without Nank. I would never put money on us with Kosi and Ryan in the team, they will give Darcy Moore his first good game of the season. We also wont tag Daicos. Could get flogged if we dont start well.

I thought Seth was very good tonight, he was after having a break last time as well. The 3 small forwards combined well, MRJ to add and it goes a fair way to correcting our speed issues when they all push up the ground.

Unfortunately we aint going to have much of a hope with Dow, KSmac, Broad, Kosi, Short and Ryan with the giggling assassin Yze as coach.
Are u suggesting if we had a premiership coach at the reigns they’d all be stars ,,,,,ridiculous, we haven’t got the cattle simple

Are u suggesting if we had a premiership coach at the reigns they’d all be stars ,,,,,ridiculous, we haven’t got the cattle simple
Exactly wouldn’t matter one bit who the coach was, How many players have we used this year due to injuries? As for other comments believe it or not it’s not a crime to have a personality.

If Maynard goes,we have a sniff.

Especially if TT, Lynch come back.

will be known as the post harley reid dud draft

The draft is a worry as there’s a lot of talent but it doesn’t seem anyone is sure who is the absolute standout. It could up being the 3rd or 4th pick ends up the best player.

it’s very simple we have picked the wrong coach. at 3 qtr time he was saying port will probably take it up a gear. ffs he did nothing about it. just let it happen. balta is playing with no confidence. put him in the ruck. change it up. the problem is we have absolute muppets in the side kosi sonsie ryan short macca dow. couldn’t get a game for seaford. now what happens when nank is out. we need a ruck a couple of forwards and an inside mid or 2.

I don't care as all those players i mentioned have consistently stuffed up all year and they've continued to get games. Blight and Bauer could've played yesterday. Ezy and the MC continue to back in the same duds and generally at the expense of kids. Trezise last week as a sub was a joke and it's like he doesn't communicate with Morris or watch VFL games.
All i see some clown giggling on the boundary line and the game is still alive. Two weeks in a row now he's done it and to me he's not fully invested especially not playing potential future talent and constantly backing in potatoes. The guy has a loser mentality and constantly making excuses. I hope for ours and his sake he can crank up the professionalism next year as he's way off the standard atm.

I'm surprised that the general overarching tone in here is negative. Port are outside the top 4 on percentage alone and we probably beat them if Taranto and Lynch play.
First the positives:
Game plan - Was it just me or did we finally show a semblance of a game plan tonight? It was just hints but ✅
Banks - I can see this guy becoming a real accumulator for us. He knows how to find the footy and gets in the right spots. He was pretty good today, but I could really see the potential.
Mansell - Strung a couple together now. He needs to find a level he can replicate every week because his off weeks are very bad but can see why we re-signed him.
Rioli - I dunno man, half back flankers with his attributes don't grow on trees. One of his best games I've seen. Hitting the scoreboard as well. He is the one I'd prefer to keep.
Trezise + Smith - Leave them in for the balance of the season please.
Prestia, Hopper Nank - all very good, especially Prestia. He just makes us so much better as a midfield unit.

Negatives:
Short - I'm just over him getting a free ride. He just boots it long with no rhyme or reason. He has been horrible for 90% of the season. He seems like a great guy, but it's time for him to move on.
Broad - Worst game I think I've ever seen him play.
Ryan - Why did we give him a multi year deal? I just can't see it, or at least see it for long enough.
Kosi - Step back today after a run of decent/good form.
Bolton - Don't get me wrong, he had a good game today but he burned a lot of team mates in better positions today. Feels like he is only in it for himself at present.

I can't wait for this season to be over. I'm enjoying watching the kids but with how important the trade and draft periods will be this year for the future of this club, I just want to get stuck into it.

Port aren't a 4th placed side, they won't play finals this year. Yes I know that after that win they shoot up but end of the round they'll be bottom 8 and likely to finish 9/10.
They're clearly a 7-10 placed side

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & toast v Port and Changes v Pies

Back