Ross Lyon's job under threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

I start to feel a little for him and the Saints but is hard to do so when he perseveres with shit footballers like C Jones. He may have been a decent tagger 2 years ago but he isn't now and might be an even worse kick than Mark Blake. Right when the Saints were making a charge tonight he gave away a free (which was soft) which was a challenging shot until the dimwit gave away a 50 and a certain goal. Add to this other spud players like Dawson are not at the level they were and guys like Goddard and Gilbert look pathetic right now and it's no surprise they are where they are.

Yeah, it's just the end of their time I guess. Since 04 they have been in 3 PF's and 2 (3) GF's. They have had plenty of chances but just couldn't get across the line.

In regards to Lyon he has done nothing to warrant losing his job. If guys like Bailey are given ages to build a side then Lyon should be give a chance to rebuild.

I start to feel a little for him and the Saints but is hard to do so when he perseveres with shit footballers like C Jones. He may have been a decent tagger 2 years ago but he isn't now and might be an even worse kick than Mark Blake. Right when the Saints were making a charge tonight he gave away a free (which was soft) which was a challenging shot until the dimwit gave away a 50 and a certain goal. Add to this other spud players like Dawson are not at the level they were and guys like Goddard and Gilbert look pathetic right now and it's no surprise they are where they are.

+1

Did you see him pull out, in the first 5 mins of the first quarter, i guess i dont blame him, he had the "big, bad, doughty" coming at him...ffs

Yeah, it's just the end of their time I guess. Since 04 they have been in 3 PF's and 2 (3) GF's. They have had plenty of chances but just couldn't get across the line.

In regards to Lyon he has done nothing to warrant losing his job. If guys like Bailey are given ages to build a side then Lyon should be give a chance to rebuild.

Perhaps but worthwhile to ask it Lyon has the passion and drive. Would take two or three years at best to get back around the top 6 and this is already his 5th year.

Are you ready to concede yet that the Saints are no longer the team you think they are, VD?
Getting closer and happy about it, but I can't yet totally write them off. After our 2nd game against them, I'll know.

TBH I just think that the players have lost their self belief that they worked up throughout 2009-2010. That self belief helped them play that tad bit better and came off for them...however once that confidence is shattered, everything falls to pieces

Examples from tonight...Goddard and Roo missing the easiest marks that could be taken on the chest

That's actually nothing new - Roo is well-knows for being a pretty average mark.

Something needs to happen.
We've just played in 2 grand finals (3 really)

Preliminary 2004
Preliminary 2005
Elimination 2006
Preliminary 2008
Grand final 2009
Grand final 2010

You can only be UP for a certain number of years .We are now falling again, as is the cycle of AFL football.

What must happen? Why is there an expectation to make grand finals/preliminary finals perpetually.

Ok we tank this year, should have another shot next year? Maybe.

I think Ross Lyon is a great coach and want to be there for the next crack in 5 years.

Will certainly coach out the year, and then there will be a serious meeting you'd think where everyone (including Ross) will decide:
a) If the club think he's the man to rebuild towards another flag
b) If Ross wants to go through that at the same club or try a new one

He came in midway through a premiership window and he did a good job getting probably the best he could possibly get out of most of his list, the Saints just suffered from bad timing, getting up at the same time as two of the best sides of the modern era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will sit 15th tonight - only Port and Brisbane are travelling worse.

The fall from grace has been seriously spectacular. A side leads a match by 5 goals at 1/4 time and trails by 6 goals at the end of it. The ticker is lacking. The effort on the park even worse.

Something needs to happen.

Nothing to do with ticker, cant stay up the top forever

Saints need a serious shake up at the end if the year. Players wroth currency such as Montana, Del Santo, Gilbert etc should be put on the trade table with GWS likely to pay overs. Get rid of deadwood such as Gardiner and Kosi. Try and lose cancers such as Milne and Baker. New coach. Time for a serious rebuild.

Should be under threat as continues to play shit/battler type players. They were great for him once. But their run has ended. Baker, McQualter, Jones, Dawson and more. The weight of carrying this lot has now broken the backs of the skilled/elite players like Goddard and Riewoldt. There is just nothing there to provide any spark and spirit for them when things start to go wrong at the moment.

Lyon said after round 3 he might have to start making changes. That was 4 freaking weeks ago and he STILL has not really changed much. FFS cut the ####en hacks out of your side and play the kids. Do that and in a year or two the Saints might be something again.

With some smart recruiting and some big trade decisions, they can be contenders again in 2013.

I agree with this, currently they have a few blokes who are struggling with the effort and mental toughness needed to climb the mountain again after 2 tries and 3 Grand Finals that have been though to lose(or draw).

They need to sit back and have a look at as many young blokes who want to put their hand up for the rest of the year, maybe look at trading for one of the GWS 17 year olds and then possibly land a good FA or two when that starts.

The Saints still have a reasonable core so a 6 or 7 player turn around could easily see them heading back to the top 4.

As for the coach, well they made 2 Grand Finals in a row so i would not be in a huge rush to chop him but if i was on the board i would like a mid year meeting to discuss how he believes the path forward looks and what changes to game style he is looking at to evolve.
If there are no changes in games style coming then there is an issue.

Got nothing to do with it.

You lead by 5 goals at 1/4 time and stopped dead. That's pathetic.
What is pathetic is having to come up after a Monday night game. They are experiencing the reality of how hard it is to physically and mentally come up after 3 consecutive GF's and limited preseason preparation

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon's job under threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back