Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

More great news - sounds like the Blues are going to play Jeff Garlett on Thursday. Garlett was an unbelievable rookie pick. Elite skills, blistering speed. Kicked about 30 goals in the WAFL last year. Eddie and Garlett should have a lot of fun next Thursday up forward. Hoping Mitch Robinson and Joseph will get a run. Like the way Ratten gives his young players experience and responsibility at this level. No wonder we're developing fantastic list depth. WIll the Tiges play ANY first gamers? Unlikely as they only played ONE first gamer for the entire 2008 season. :)

Pretty sure Browne is going to play

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=231778&postcount=550

:eek:

Sorry we dont have Reiwoldt Morton and We might stick with Eddy Fisher Cloke and co

certifiable..

istockphoto_5790972_crazy_man_in_straitjacket.jpg

Remember a young Blues side beat a full strength, maxed-out Richmond side in their last encounter by about 30 points, and that was with a Carlton side without Judd and a few others. Have the Tiges actually improved their list this year? Looks much the same. A 5 goal win by the Blues is very conservative given the Blues large and growing list talent advantage. But footy is a funny game, especially in these early season games, so anything can happen on the day I guess. :)
I said 4-5 goals is not a cracker, 4-5 points would be a cracker. 4-5 goals is a comfortable victory for either side.

Yarran must be crap if a rookied player gets a spot ahead of him
Is this any different to Andrew Browne being promoted ahead of Tyrone Vickery? ;) :eek:
You mean Fev and 3 duds
Fisher usually plays well against Richmond.

Betts isn't a poorer player than Tambling who cost you pick four.

I can see the Tigers' quick back pockets stopping a dud who snagged two goals against you the last time we played...

Is this any different to Andrew Browne being promoted ahead of Tyrone Vickery? ;) :eek:

Fisher usually plays well against Richmond.

Betts isn't a poorer player than Tambling who cost you pick four.

I can see the Tigers' quick back pockets stopping a dud who snagged two goals against you the last time we played...

1) Yes, since anybody can be plonked in the forwardline and so something. Vickery needs to bulk up. Everybody knows that talls take longer to develop than smalls.

2) He plays OK.

3) Betts can go ahead and average 1 goal a game while Tambling averages a goal, 20 disposals, with good run and carry.

4) Raines wasn't playing last time, and McGuane was out. Newman had to play further up to compensate.

Remember a young Blues side beat a full strength, maxed-out Richmond side in their last encounter by about 30 points, and that was with a Carlton side without Judd and a few others. Have the Tiges actually improved their list this year? Looks much the same. A 5 goal win by the Blues is very conservative given the Blues large and growing list talent advantage. But footy is a funny game, especially in these early season games, so anything can happen on the day I guess. :)

More great news - sounds like the Blues are going to play Jeff Garlett on Thursday. Garlett was an unbelievable rookie pick. Elite skills, blistering speed. Kicked about 30 goals in the WAFL last year. Eddie and Garlett should have a lot of fun next Thursday up forward. Hoping Mitch Robinson and Joseph will get a run. Like the way Ratten gives his young players experience and responsibility at this level. No wonder we're developing fantastic list depth. WIll the Tiges play ANY first gamers? Unlikely as they only played ONE first gamer for the entire 2008 season. :)

Deary deary me... at it again are we Parrot?

Looks like your manufacturing some excuse fallbacks if things don't go to plan already. So if your 58 point win prediction is wrong... its because anything can happen yes? Perhaps you will talk about Terry's flooding again :rolleyes:.

Ahh 4 debutants.. there is another one. So if the Tiger's get up... its because we were more experienced yeah? Heartbreak, Ratten chose the team afterall :rolleyes:.

Oh and seeming though you like to bring out random pictures of matches or random stats of quarters from last year, here's something you may need to read up and refresh on. Try using something a little different this time. :)

"Why the Blues were the Real Winners" - Thoughts of a Parrot, post Round 1 2008, where the Tiger's d. Blues : http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425131

enjoy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

..."Why the Blues were the Real Winners" - Thoughts of a Parrot...

Well I was pretty much spot on wasn't I - see Round 14 result. Anyway, you need to relax a little. It's just an early season footy game. Doesn't really mean much. It's like as though the whole push to recruit Cousins by the Richmond faithful, was about this round 1 game. From the Blues point of view, we have much bigger goals - i.e. building an impressive team from our abundant list talent, and bringing home a few flags. Beating a mid-ladder side in a March game doesn't mean a hell of a lot to be honest. What I'm really looking forward to, is seeing some of the fantastic young players we've recruited recently e.g. Robinson, Garlett etc. Because this is our future. I've never understood why the Tiges keep recruiting and playing players in their twighlight years ahead of young players. It just doesn't make any sense. Back to the game... Looking forward to watching Ratten's gameday tactics, especially up forward. We'll be playing at least 2 possibly 3 talented goal sneaks, with Cloke, Matty Kruezer and possibly Hampson rotating through the CHF post. There's talk of Judd pushing forward this year, and we know how damaging Gibbs can be up forward with his 3 goal effort on Deledio last time. Ratten will be targeting the 2 main weaknesses in the Richmond defense - lack of height, and lack of quality small defenders. :)

Tigers by 4 or 5 goals.

I do love the eternal optimism of parrot though. She's been talking about the blues abundance of 'young guns' for several years now. I always scour the carlton gameday threads for a dose of her misguided wisdom. She never fails us.:)

and we know how damaging Gibbs can be up forward with his 3 goal effort on Deledio last time. Ratten will be targeting the 2 main weaknesses in the Richmond defense - lack of height, and lack of quality small defenders.

I think you'll find that Deledio destroyed Gibbs for a large part of the first half, until Ratten was forced to move him away from Lids. I suppose our lack of talls will be exposed with all of the gun tall and small forwards you have. Oh, right. :eek:

Danog said:
think you'll find that Deledio destroyed Gibbs for a large part of the first half, until Ratten was forced to move him away from Lids.

Did you manage to see the game there, mate?
Maybe you missed Deledio flaunting his doctors certificate around when the game was there to be won?!

Well I was pretty much spot on wasn't I - see Round 14 result. Anyway, you need to relax a little. It's just an early season footy game. Doesn't really mean much. It's like as though the whole push to recruit Cousins by the Richmond faithful, was about this round 1 game. From the Blues point of view, we have much bigger goals - i.e. building an impressive team from our abundant list talent, and bringing home a few flags. Beating a mid-ladder side in a March game doesn't mean a hell of a lot to be honest.
Huh?:)

So we recruited Cousins to play 1 game? Could've fooled me, I thought we would've got him because he is a former Brownlow medallist(Not to mention one of the best players of this generation) who still has plenty to give and can go on another 2-3+ years injury permitting.:)

But ok.:)

Last time I checked our Coach said that the top 8 was our season goal for 2009, nothing much really about having to beat Carlton in Round 1, that is what you make it out to be, that everything revolves around 1 game, like CONSTANTLY harping back to Round 14 of 2008 while forgetting about what happened in Round 20 and Round 22 of 2008.:)

Huh?:)

So we recruited Cousins to play 1 game? Could've fooled me, I thought we would've got him because he is a former Brownlow medallist(Not to mention one of the best players of this generation) who still has plenty to give and can go on another 2-3+ years injury permitting.:)

Let's not get carried away now. An elite player at his peak, but one of the best of this generation? I don't think so.

Also, it was Brown that screwed up when the game was there to be won. 6 behinds...

Excuses. The fact is you didn't have the list talent to match the Blues midfield in the last quarter. Game over. Foley was benched after his opponent Stevens took control, Deledio got 3 goals kicked on him by Gibbs, Tuck was way out of his league and benched, and the embarrassing run-down of King was just icing on the birthday cake. THAT was the last 30 minutes when these 2 teams met. The question is, have the Tiges actually improved their list since then? Looks much the same. :)

... he is a former Brownlow medallist(Not to mention one of the best players of this generation) who still has plenty to give and can go on another 2-3+ years injury permitting....

The issue is what sort of quality will you get from his last 1-2 years. It's not going to be great, the guy is 31 years old now. And he's taking the spot of a young developing midfielder potentially, in your senior team. Is it worth it? 15 other clubs said it wasn't. How about drafting a young midfielder like Ziebell instead and playing him round 1 instead of another 30+ year old. You need to think beyond round 1. Cousin's is only at the Tiges because he had no other choice. It was Richmond or nothing. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back