Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

43 points down against Collingwood. We came back, lost by 3 and I left the stadium feeling like we'd won.

41 points yesterday and lose in the final 5 seconds and I just wish we'd have lost by 100 instead.
No way. Fair enough, that's how you feel - it was a monumental stuff up loss / miracle of the century win but I would be feeling very differently about our prospects and how we're going if we had been belted by Port.

I'm still feeling mild disbelief about how it panned out but I'm more sure than before that we're on the right track. Just have to build reliability and consistency and keep at it. I'm just hoping that the group steadies and brings everything to the next game.

The one we did get should have been from the goal line. Aliir clearly booted the ball away well after the free was paid. We got pinged literally a minute or 2 before for the exact same thing.

Still if CMac drills the goal all is well.
Yeah I was yelling at the tv when that happened, was an obvious 50m considering Moore was pinged only minutes earlier for exactly the same thing.

We just have a few too many players who can't play out a full 4 quarters yet.

Frenchy, Calsher and CJ the obvious examples.

A few full preseasons into the first two and a big training block for CJ and we will be fine going forward.

A few full preseasons into the first two and a big training block for CJ and we will be fine going forward.
We’re also playing fairly short up front / ruck. Helps our run but Meek was cooked by end and Chol needed up front. And when game is close having talls who can clunk a few is priceless.

Breust as sub doesn’t help our run either (but helped win the game last week so we tried again).

Did you hear Sam's presser. It wasn't that CJ was tired as such. His numbers in the game were through the roof. Given this was his first game back they didn't want him sustaining an injury through fatigue in the last. It was the right assessment and CJ got through the game and plays again this week where he will be better for the run.

Last edited:
Did you hear Sam's presser. It wasn't that CJ was tired as such. His number in the game were through the roof. Given this was his first game back they didn't want him sustaining an injury through fatigue in the last. It was the right assessment and CJ got through the game and plays again this week where he will be better for the run.

Not knocking the decision subbing CJ out. He needs time to build and I'm sure it would have been planned from the start that he would make way if there was no injury prior.

CBA's out of a max of 27:
23 - Meek
18 - Day
18 - Newcombe
15 - Nash
15 - Worpel
9 - Moore
5 - Mackenzie
4 - Chol
1 - Ginnivan

I liked seeing Moore get that many as the conditions suited him.

The youngsters had limited TOG:
Watson only had 64%
Mackenzie had 71%
Mitchell had 76%

Worpel only had 76% too. He's winning clearances (6 this week and maybe 7 last week), but his total possessions have really dropped from round 4 onwards.

7:35 to go in the 4th. Free kick to jones. Clock stops but doesn’t start for about 20 seconds after jones gets the ball back.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

Allow me to put on my tinfoil hat.

If we a deeper look at the letters that correlate to the relevant numbers here:

7 - Game
3 - Critical
5 - Enaxt
20 - Time
4 - Delay

I've uncovered it. If anything happens to me know I have not self-deleted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CBA's out of a max of 27:
23 - Meek
18 - Day
18 - Newcombe
15 - Nash
15 - Worpel
9 - Moore
5 - Mackenzie
4 - Chol
1 - Ginnivan

I liked seeing Moore get that many as the conditions suited him.

The youngsters had limited TOG:
Watson only had 64%
Mackenzie had 71%
Mitchell had 76%

Worpel only had 76% too. He's winning clearances (6 this week and maybe 7 last week), but his total possessions have really dropped from round 4 onwards.
Worpel’s TOG I think was also ‘low’ in recent week. Nash was only 74% as well. Feels like trying to use both Nash and worpel in bursts to throw their weight around in the contest.

Go back and watch again. The whole last qtr from start to finish was backwards and sideways garbage to try and ice the clock.
I missed the first 10-15 mins of the last as the little ones were running around the house going berserk. I’ll take your word for it.

As for the bolded, I’d prefer to be subjected to 4 hours of repeated kicks to my nuts than re-watching any of that.

I missed the first 10-15 mins of the last as the little ones were running around the house going berserk. I’ll take your word for it.

As for the bolded, I’d prefer to be subjected to 4 hours of repeated kicks to my nuts than re-watching any of that.

I had to apologise to my kids today and fill the swear jar it was that bad.

Anyway we move on…… slowly!!!!!

Great performance for most of it but an extremely disappointing result. The free kicks were unnecessary especially Amon even if Rioli marks the clock continues to run for the free kick I’m sure it stopped. and the last centre clearance was diabolical positioning, we just needed everyone to tag and meek to drop it in tight we did the opposite. You learn most from failure and the last quarter is a huge learning. Whatever the reason for defending for the entire quarter, whether a plan or fatigue or other, that needs to be clearly identified and rectified asap. I don’t mind losing to better teams, bad luck etc but not like that.
This is my question. Were the players just exhausted and could not continue to play offensively? Or was this directed by Sam?

If Sammy made the call then that makes it even worse, just terrible coaching.

Surely Sammy wouldn’t have just told the boys to just defend and try and hold on for an entire quarter?

Edit: looks like my question was answered by Lickmesocks from Sam’s press conference.

7:35 to go in the 4th. Free kick to jones. Clock stops but doesn’t start for about 20 seconds after jones gets the ball back.
Yeah that’s odd.

Was absolutely shattered after the game. That one really hurt.
Such a brave and gallant performance for 3 quarters with soooo many positives, but put the queue in the rack way too early.
Have had my phone on silent and no bigfooty or social media since as I just couldn’t face it. Just logged in now and have not read any posts.
But one thing i have taken away from the last month or so - we are a massive chance in any game we play from here on! Bring on Brisbane.
Go hawks. **** you PA!

Did you hear Sam's presser. It wasn't that CJ was tired as such. His numbers in the game were through the roof. Given this was his first game back they didn't want him sustaining an injury through fatigue in the last. It was the right assessment and CJ got through the game and plays again this week where he will be better for the run.
Absolutely the right call - Hawks need to be thinking long term with CJ and all things really.

I still cannot believe how much the game changed in the last

I had to apologise to my kids today and fill the swear jar it was that bad.

Anyway we move on…… slowly!!!!!

My 10 year old that doesn’t really give much thought to win and loses ended up filling the swear jar. Didn’t know if I should be proud that he actually loves the hawks or if I should be mad at the potty mouth.

Just listen to what ken said about the over celebration after the game, he said that he'd hoped that we stay young for a while!! Meaning how talented we are and the rise is coming. That tells you a lot about what people outside of Hawthorn think about our Future.
İn the past, we'd get smashed without Lewis, Sicily and scrimshaw! We got beat by a top four fancy on their home deck by 5 ****ing seconds!
I'm more looking frwd to how we're going to turn up next week.

Ginny plays for frees so, obviously he doesn't get them. Do better Ginny.

Meanwhile, Horne-Francis courageously puts his head over the ball and gets his rightful due...

View attachment 1995079

JHF techniqu needs to be scrutinised. Commentary went on about keeping you feet but wet themselves over him

In the picture, what’s stopping him disposing the ball?

But maybe Sammy agrees

Yartapuulti v Hawthorn​

8 Dan Houston (PORT)
8 Blake Hardwick (HAW)
8 Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
4 Zak Butters (PORT)
2 Will Day (HAW)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back