Review Round 10, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

There were comments on 5aa before the game that he was running laps at training rather than participating in drills during the week.

Maybe that's why BZT was the sub? It's lucky how a player they didn't expect to get injured didn't happen ... :confusedv1:

He takes 3 or 4 (albeit little) steps, goes to kick the ball and gets caught. Doesn't matter anyway, DBJ gave us a far more spectacular finish.

The various radio commentaries were priceless listening. :D
I heard a radio replay on Whately today.

I think it was Kym Dillon

"No, no, no, no"

They really let their true colours out in the moment.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I realise weather conditions were poor but 6 of our taller 7 forwards and backs were pretty ordinary. BZT gets a reprieve, but between the four taller forwards, Aliir and Ratugolea, our big guys weren’t great and haven’t been much chop all season.
I've got a theory on this, when you hear Goldsack (backline coach) talk, he wants the back 6/7 to be fluid which means not directly responsible for any one specific player. They're just expected to work it out in play. There're obviously some general match ups but it's not player X is on player Y for the game. They might say that Allir is a high back and Rat the deeper back. I just think it explains why we often look completely disorganised in defence. In particular our ground ball stuff is appalling. It needs to be fixed pronto or it'll definitely be another wasted year.

Lol

But in his defense Chol was pretty good all game
Sit near boundary toward southern end. Maybe 3rd QTR players are massing around the goal line and waiting for a player to take a long range shot. Chol turns around...I think sees a camera and purses his lips to blow a kiss at it. Wasn't creepy but it was super weird. Odd dude

Maybe that's why BZT was the sub? It's lucky how a player they didn't expect to get injured didn't happen ... :confusedv1:
Yeah it came up in discussions as to why bzt may be sub.

It struck me as odd that we started the game with a red ball.
It was even odder that they didn't switch to a yellow ball at half time.
The lights were on for the entire game...

Bergman could be our worst at ground balls. He has no burst of power and takes forever to pick the ball up. Burton would be our worst if he went for the ball. As above poster says not huge fan of Jones but get him the hell back so we can drop Burton. We are to too top heavy up forward. One of Dixon, Marshall, Georgie, Finlayson have to go. Giving more forward time to JHF, Butters & Rozee.
Bergman was looking very sore.

Georgi ditto, and "out of it".

A gutsy win but how did we get in that hole in the first place.
As a few people have stated, the win will wallpaper over the cracks unless the coaching staff truly see the reason behind us almost losing that game.
As I've said, one of the reasons our form is so up and down is because we have amazing players but also liabilities who equal it all out.

THE GOOD

The Sex Panther was on the prowl.
Butters' last quarter won us the game.
Houston roosting from 50.
Boak picking up the slack when Wines was subbed.
Byrne-Jones slotting it in on penalties.
McEntee with the tackle of the year.
Sinn almost taking off but doing some good things.
Dixon rucking manfully.
Rioli still looking dangerous but with limited opportunities.
The thought process behind Zerk as the sub.
Meady always doing something positive with the ball.
Marshall played up the ground and was creative. Not dominant but out of his slumber.

THE MEDIOCRE

Butters still trying to do too much
Dante did his best and kept going all match
I'm not going to slam the forwards as the conditions and ball wasn't there.
Finlayson seemed a bit off all game.

THE UGLY

Hinkley solidly defeated in the coaches box
Burton continuing his bad form into terrible form
Wines with heart problems.
Sinn injured after a strong bump but nothing out of the ordinary.
The umpiring early really favoured the Hawks.
Dixon looking slow and old.
Montagna and Jr Burger banking the four points for Hawthorn with about 10 minutes of play to go.

It's a dozen donuts next week.

Last edited:
It's why the boys also deserve credit for staying in the contest, keeping up the fight and producing a massive comeback. It was super impressive given the wet conditions.

Definitely. Full credit to the boys and especially Butters and Byrne-Jones.

To stay in a game like that and keep on keeping on is what good teams do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst Butters deserves his time in the son for his last quarter, JHF 20 years old and one of our only 4 quarter performers, take a bow son, could of had 4 snags also

I shudder to think what it would be like if he and Reid played together, fearsome

I just watched the mini replay on fox and I don't know why Georgiades was deep in defence early in the first and second qtrs, but I thought his lack of aggression cost 1 goal, and possibly another as well.

He had plenty of mates re that lack of aggression though, as the defence as a unit was very ordinary in that first half, eg both Aliir and Ratugolea could have caught two hawks blokes stone cold if they had gone harder at them and tackled correctly.

Re the comment about Goldsack wanting a fluid backline, Hardwick appeared to have a different opponent for 3 of his 4 first qtr goals, and in Burtons lack of effort for one of them he was flopping around as if he was part of the chorus line for swan lake.

Not that we are a real chance in the finals anyway, but unless the defence gets its act together I can unfortunately envisage the likes of the swannies, brisvegas or the wobblers making a mess of it.

Whilst Butters deserves his time in the son for his last quarter, JHF 20 years old and one of our only 4 quarter performers, take a bow son, could of had 4 snags also

I shudder to think what it would be like if he and Reid played together, fearsome
jhf didnt do much in the 4th qtr, amazing first 3 qtrs, meh 4th qtr, but thats becuase others stepped up

It struck me as odd that we started the game with a red ball.
It was even odder that they didn't switch to a yellow ball at half time.
The lights were on for the entire game...

They were playing with an indigenous design on the ball. Maybe the AFL forgot to send the yellow design to Adelaide ? :oops:

Karl Amon was responsible for the 2 goals that won us the game, high free on Rioli, and choosing to kick instead of the easy handball to a team mate. Was always a liability in big moments for us and showed last night that nothing has changed

On PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 10, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back