Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d never have thought a game that bad could have been spoiled by the umpires, and yet here we are.

Positives:
• Liked how Ginbey played a lot
• Barrass immense
• Flynn will add a lot to this midfield
• Ryan building up, will be super important
• Half positive as it was a by-product of poor selection, but Maric to the wing is exciting long term
• Eagle getting loose before the bounce was sick

Negatives:
• Selection was mystifying and when our ball movement was that poor it’s hard not to come back to it. Individually Gaff and Sheed were unremarkable to passable, but with no Kelly or Waterman it needed to really work for us to look the goods, and it didn’t really work.
• Reid likely suspended because the Saints are softcocks
• They can’t afford the brown paper bag so I’m fascinated to find out what was in it for those blokes in green. Fourth quarter alone, Henry HTB, HTB in the square but Wood goals, Reid clotheslined by two and scragged all day HTB, downfield. Next time Yeo gets tackled with the footy will be the first time for a few weeks. Gee.
• Looked as static moving the footy as we have in a long time. Petch invisible, no dash off HBF, not a lot to like in the ball movement capacity.

Certainly one of the games that took place this season. A battle of who could lose less, not a lot of winners out there today in either jumper. Quality can only improve next week as we take on…never mind.

You can't convince me that Hewett wouldn't have absolutely run through Windhager at some point that second half to support Reid.

That's the biggest negative for me today. Any chance of helping the kid out?

Reid has done a handful on those late ish bumps after disposals. Frustrating second half but a few positive from the day.

HEdwards was really good and should be persisted with.

Didn't feel like Yeo was that prolific but got through without injury so that's a plus.

Ryan finding some form.

Optus needs a week off games, surface was awful.

A predicable game. With no TK and Yeo not anywhere near his capacity, our lack of depth in the midfield came to the fore. (Should) be lots of ‘learnings’ to come out of it.

Can’t rely on an 19 yo. A special talent, that second quarter was superb. The second half was a huge lesson for him in all aspects, he will be the better for it. The impending suspension however will hurt.

Flynn and Ryan two huge positives, along with TB and Gov. Reuben was great early, faded late. Just lacked the run from defence and were stifled with our ball movement. Gaff was ok, but time for Dom to have a break.

Needing the bye, really hope we can get TK and Waterman back next week, especially with no Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go into games expecting to lose after the last few years, we still have so much dead wood in this team, who will not be part of our next finals/ premiership side

Pretty sure today put to bed the idea Bailey can play forward, only mark he took was when his opponent fell over, he does not know how to use his frame to create separation, i would much rather stick with J Williams over him, i think he has a lot more upside.

The margin should have been much higher, lucky for us we have a pair of defenders who are in AA form that save our asses all night long.

Meh

similar to last year v Stk

ran over late.

This time we had expectations.

Not the end of the world really.

Better than last week and that was with a bit of a patchwork team.

Losses mean nothing anymore really it's effort

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Game of two halves.

Barrass was our best I thought. Gov very good for the most part as well.

Maric and Petruccelle atrocious.

Gaff, Reid, Sheed and Flynn faded in the second half.

Land of the talls did not do us any good. Looked worse up forward than it did at the back end, but across the whole ground it didn't work because we weren't taking contested marks. There was not much relief on the wings despite all the talls we had.

Duggan, Darling and Yeo were OK without being great, they all did some good things but made some dumb decisions as well.

Cripps and Ryan were great, even early Ryan looked to be right in the game but looked rusty, but he kept working and got some good fortune.

I really liked Tom Cole's game and attach on the ball.

JJ had some good attacks on the ball and some really good strong leads to try and mix things up when the long kicks to the wing weren't working .. but he needs to double his disposal count.

The decision making to me was the most frustrating thing. Some pretty poor options being taken, regardless of the execution, we looked dumb.

There was no run for transition because it was all just tall forwards posted on the wing for the long kick.

In the context of the season that loss doesn't cost us anything. No one gives a **** about the Rising Star anyway and we will beat North while giving Reid another rest.

I'm mildly annoyed about the result, majorly annoyed about the team that was picked, but otherwise not sure it's a full on meltworthy result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back