Autopsy Round 12 - Positives & Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

BT was almost in tears when we kicked 4 straight. I had a feeling it wouldn't improve, and if the Blues got a run on the cheering would drive me mad. First time I've changed the broadcast in all these years, mainly because I wasn't taking this game seriously and trying to stay calm/enjoy the debut. Didn't want that dickhead ruining my vibe.
I did ABC Grandstand whilst working. Better than the away games on vision.

Negative- Bailey Williams looks like an athletic meathead. Bit harsh, but he doesn't seem to ever be in the right position to impact a contest, and that free kicks he gave away in Carlton forward line was stupid and unnecessary.

Far from convinced he is a natural footballer at this stage.
He did have a terrible game. He was consistently out of position and should be dropped for Vardy next week.

Positives +

+ Managed to grind out a win despite our injuries. No JK, Allen, Gov, Shuey, Kelly, Duggan and Witherden. Nice to win at the SCG since 99 but an asterisks to that since it's not the Swans.
+ Yeo lifting the team standards in the midfield when on fire as he was on the weekend and provided a lot of grunt work to help Gaff play outside more. Seven tackles from 66% TOG. Hopefully his minutes go up slowly.
+ Gaff hurting the other team from the outside. Operates best on the outside accumulator not as a grunt inside player. Outmarked a bigger Cripps.
+ Sheed and Redden standing up and getting their heads down and dirty with Redden getting ten tackles.
+ Ryan an absolute gun, inspired the forward line and kicked four beautiful goals. What an epic mark.
+ Jones provided that forward pressure, crumbing and ground ball gets we needed. Also hit the scoreboard. Immediately impacted after Shep went down.
+ L.Edwards was really good on his debut and looked composed at AFL level. Looks AFL Standard to me.
+ Nic Nat keeping our depleted midfield competitive with his tap work and self clearances. Had the most clearances in the match. Played 75% TOG.
+ Cripps was good with his pressure and ground ball work and crumbed well too.
+ Hurn getting back to full fitness and was good with his defending and rebounding.
+ Small forwards kicked us a winning score.
+ Barrass and Edwards were great down back killing contests and taking intercept grabs. Although helped that McKay went off.
+ Cole and was solid in defense. If Rotham gets stronger than he can be our new Schoey who can also play on gorilla forwards in addition to mediums, smalls and athletic type KPFs.
+ We smashed them in contested possession, a huge difference Yeo in the side makes.
+ We also killed them on the rebound despite no Witherden and Duggan.
+ Commentary sounds more impartial when Pav and Eddie aren't there. Eddie waaaay to Vic bias and Pav too anti Eagles and pro Freo :p

Meh =

= Exxon was alright and went too safe early on which isn't the best option but stood up in the final quarter and kicked a goal.
= Nelson still soft but used the ball better. Would like to see him tag as that was really important shutting down a gun mid in 2018.
= Foley still coming to grips the higher pace of AFL level rather than the slower WAFL but he was decent and kicked a nice goal to ice Carltank.
= Darling quiet but still provided a contest and kicked our first goal.
= Langdon was alright and kicked a goal but he didn't pressure a lot.

Negatives -

-
Shep getting concussed and won't be available next week.
- Williams getting destroyed by Jones up forward. Failed to provide a JK like forward presence. Just is out of position to affect the contest, lack of bodywork knowledge and can't clunk them. Got beaten in the ruck especially in our D50.
- Waterman going missing again and getting outmarked.
- Tall forwards ineffective, only kicked one goal. Goes to show how big of a loss JK and Allen are. Darling operates best as a second tall and can impact being the number one forward if the resting ruck has impact and is clunking grabs and kicking goals which Williams failed to do. Our smalls kicked us a winning score.
- Blues forwards had lots of space in their inside 50.
- They still caused us damage on the rebound.
- Some tackles missed.

Final Thoughts.

Still not convinced about the team, we're lucky to get the win but the Blues made a lot of mistakes which we capitalized on and they're a crappy side but we have injuries to gun players. Although a good amount of us had this game as a lost but we're up against a better Richmond side next week. The Blues were playing our game style and we played a Richmond like territory game. I'd say we were lucky that Coleman medal leader McKay was out thanks to H.Edwards. Take this win and focus hard against Richmond next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of 10 (10 being shittest)

As an opposition club how bad did you think Carlton were today?

+ves
- Yeo seems to be demanding the midfield to lift with him, Redden responded
- JJ showed why he is our number 1 small forward
- Fly is getting back to his pre-injury best
- Gaff and Sheed looked better not having to get the hard ball
- the Edwards boys looked composed

Surprises
- XON and Langdon actually got better as the game went on, or was it that Carlton ran out of legs?
- does the SCG actually suit us, providing we aren't playing Sydney?

-ves
- Williams looked completely lost. He had no idea on the smaller ground
- Waterman missed his chance
- tackling still needs to improve

Simpson rarely shows aggression at 3 quarter time when the game is in the balance.........we typically loose

Yeo gets angry at 3 quarter time and shows some mongrel and fires up the boys.........we duly win

Might almost be something in that

Yeo looked pumped at 3qrter time.

Was if he had missed the rough stuff and just wanted to shove some players around. Good sign.

Geez, you throw a couple of rookies in there like Edwards x2 plus Foley, Xon and Jones they lift everyone. Great games from all of them.

Bloody good to get the W.

The boys dug in where we have been turning turtle this season. Yeo makes a huge difference as he brings an aggressive energy around the ball that our other mids don't possess.

Liked what I saw from Ledwards, Hedwards, Foley and even XO'n looked better. Legdon did some nice things.

On the neg side it was only Carlton after all and they ran us close. Nelson and Cole are becoming a big worry - no composure under pressure and the yin and yang of over corralling and over committing. These guys are our small/medium defenders to take the mantle from Bunga and Shep.

We are a very fragile looking group atm. Richmunt are going to hit us like a steam train and we'll see who stands up.

Bailey Williams... Son, take a few deep breaths and get your head in the game. He'll have images of Liam Jones giving him a bath in his dreams for weeks. As comprehensive a touch up as I can recall.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully the lads at least crack in from here.

+ A win 22 years in the making ;)
+ Flyin' back to near his best
+ Yeo building
+ Jones needs an extended run in the team, was very solid
+ Harry Edwards did a good job, developing nicely.
+ Rotham looks a much better player than a 20 odd gamer
+ Hurn looking very likely to hit 300
+ Luke Edwards was very composed. Looked like he belonged.

- Williams was horrible
- My boy Snake needs some time in the WAFL
- Shep concussion will hurt against the Tiges
- Petch injured(?)
- Nelson slightly better but still not gold enough

Good pressure from Yeo and Redden
Ryan getting back to some form, hopefully that was just cramp and his hip isn't an issue.
Won with no JK, no Allen and with Darling well held.

Langdon is the opposite of a one-touch player and goes to ground too easily and often. Kicked a goal but I wouldn't have him ahead of Jones. I assume Jones is doing something wrong positioning-wise (not getting to his spot when defending maybe) that we can't see because I don't know otherwise why he keeps getting dropped.
I don't care if we're short, Waterman is not a backman. He's completely lost back there, please stop sending him back Simmo.
The bye swap means no Sheppard against Richmond.
Defence was non-existent at times, way too much space given up and that passage where they got three marks from short kicks inside 50 was embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12 - Positives & Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back