Autopsy Round 12 - Positives & Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I miss Yeo's aerial ability.

He used to be so so so good overhead. It's seemingly dropped off each year since 2018.

He was in a few contest's yesterday and I kept thinking he was going to pluck one in a pack like he used to, but no bueno.

Still knocking the rust off. The good part was he competed well in our i50, so his efforts weren't for nothing. Those marks are generally taken by the likes of JK and Allen, so we become ruthlessly efficient.

With Yeo in the forward line he was able to bring the ball to ground which generated multiple looks and inside 50s, and got our smalls into the game. This is the brand of football the Squiggle gets a boner for. Hates the style we were running with in the first quarter.

I miss Yeo's aerial ability.

He used to be so so so good overhead. It's seemingly dropped off each year since 2018.

He was in a few contest's yesterday and I kept thinking he was going to pluck one in a pack like he used to, but no bueno.
IMO the club has massively wasted his talents using him as a battering ram in packs. Should be playing an Embley role as a wingman but our inside mids are too pissweak so they have to play Yeo onball to compensate.

IMO the club has massively wasted his talents using him as a battering ram in packs. Should be playing an Embley role as a wingman but our inside mids are too pissweak so they have to play Yeo onball to compensate.

He was All Australian as inside mid. No way wasted, but he should be rested up forward more and kicking more goals. Nightmare match up with his power, marking and long kicking. In an ideal world he, Shuey and Kelly all rotate through half forward

Possibly.
This reminds me- one of my big negatives from this game was trying to view it. Im not sure if it was the Royal blue strip or the camera positions or the SCG during the day but I found the game very difficult to watch and work out who was who, especially the first half. was a shitful viewing experience.
I thought the same thing. I put it down to the camera. The angles seemed too low and all you could see were the players in the immediate vicinity of the ball and you couldn't see what was happening away from the ball. Almost side on viewing. Reminded me of watching games in Darwin.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Williams needs a reset in the WAFL. He was unable to contest well in the air and was pushed off the ball too often. Angry Vardy in for a crack.
He’s probably due a rest, to be honest. He’s played a good chunk in a row, off an interrupted pre-season. A week off coupled with the bye might be the tonic for a bit of a reset and work on his game again at WAFL for a couple of weeks after that.

Wasn’t his best game on the weekend, but there is a lot to work with. I hope that with an uninterrupted pre-season he really nails a spot next year.

I thought the same thing. I put it down to the camera. The angles seemed too low and all you could see were the players in the immediate vicinity of the ball and you couldn't see what was happening away from the ball. Almost side on viewing. Reminded me of watching games in Darwin.

Was also awesome how Ch7 showed it in SD, so the mixture of shitty def, light and shade and 2 teams wearing blue was just fantastic!

He’s probably due a rest, to be honest. He’s played a good chunk in a row, off an interrupted pre-season. A week off coupled with the bye might be the tonic for a bit of a reset and work on his game again at WAFL for a couple of weeks after that.

Wasn’t his best game on the weekend, but there is a lot to work with. I hope that with an uninterrupted pre-season he really nails a spot next year.
Agree, not critisising him at all, looking aftter his interests. The other issue is that a young player will be inconsistent. He is developing well.

Did what we had to do to get the win and viewed in isolation it wasn’t a particularly impressive game with a dearth of real highlights. Hate to say it but it kinda looked like two bottom eight sides going at it

In the context of our season and factoring in the quality of players we had missing it was a hugely important win and unlike any of our previous games this season.

We found a way to grind out a victory without ever really looking like we were going to blow the game apart but nor did we look like we were about to lose any real control of the contest. The effort was there from start to finish and each time Carlton looked like they were going to mount a real challenge we were able to respond to keep them just at arms length

Negatives
- Williams had a bit of a mare for whatever reason and had next to no impact on the game
- Waterman continued with what’s been a subpar season for him in a game I thought he may have stepped up in given the absence of JK and Oscar
- Sheps concussion
- More sore bodies that now have 4 less days to recuperate

Positives
+ Another game into Yeo as he rebuilds touch/fitness/match hardness
+ our young guys (Williams aside) all made contributions
+ Langdons best game for the club
+ Ryan accepting the responsibility to be our main target up forward and doing Ryan things
+ Gaff outbodying Cripps in a marking contest and his game in general. Special mention also for his “smother” in the goal square that he actually caught off the boot
+ Naitanui
+ Mids kicking goals
+ Won all four quarters

Take the win and move on to what will be a massive challenge against Richmond

It probably wasn't vintage AA Hurn but 3 weeks back after a fairly long layoff and he puts up 27 possessions, 9 marks, 80%+ efficiency for 550m.
Pretty good rust. That kick out clanger was a beauty but.
It's the way stats are recorded now so I get that it applies to everyone, but have to think his 11 disposals at quarter time were largely down to Carlton kicking 3.6 for the term. Happy to be wrong on it, hope I am.

It's the way stats are recorded now so I get that it applies to everyone, but have to think his 11 disposals at quarter time were largely down to Carlton kicking 3.6 for the term. Happy to be wrong on it, hope I am.
There should be a separate stat line for kickins other than just including them in kicks. Ditto for kicks taken as a result of a free kick for out on the full

Huge problem at the SCG. You see someone jogging when they're surely only a metre away from influencing the contest, then the camera angel changes and you see they're actually 20m off the ball and no chance of getting there. Makes a lot of players look unbelievably lazy because the angle doesn't show any width to the ground whatsoever.

Question - in the Match Report, who names the ‘best’ players. The respective coaches or journalists. Have always wondered about this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question - in the Match Report, who names the ‘best’ players. The respective coaches or journalists. Have always wondered about this.
Journo - basically whoevers written the story

Yeah I did consider that but he wasnt the only one kicking in. Nelson and Rotham both had some too. Still solid, he didnt take 9 marks off his own kickins 😉

As has been previously touched on, the hack kicking is a consequence of being under pressure and having a lack of teamwork around the contest.

I get that in certain situations, gaining yardage is not the worst outcome. What I don’t understand is that we never seem to have a player positioned to make a contest at the other end of the hack kick forward. Do we not have specific zones to kick to, in the event we have have to throw the ball on the boot, particularly when exiting D50?

Watched the game, was knackered and had to go to bad afterwards.

Rapped with that. Nice to see so many mids on the ground and the rotations that offers and not running out of steam.

When Yeo goes bang, far out. He's just a monster.

+'s
Yeo and Redden
Jones - never drop him again, he's easily one of our best on paper and in the team
Ryan was just amazing considering he's sore
Carlton came to play for 3 quarters - reminded me of us
Carlton's kicking - we won off their lack of kicking goals.. if they'd have kicked straight we wouldn't be so happy
SCG hoodoo gone (although it wasn't Sydney we faced)
Winning considering we're so thin
I thought TB stood tall (no pun intended) - did some excellent spoils and pressure to stop Carlton's momentum

-'s
Again, TACKLING WAS AWFUL team-wide. Goddamnit we just suck so badly at this. "Trying" with your arms out and your best bra on isn't good effort - this isn't sarcastaball. If we do that sheet against quality oppo, we're cooked. I miss Cameron laying beast tackles for his size.
Shep :( - this will really sting against Richmond
Kicking backwards and f ing it up: we lose our momentum and when someone makes a mistake, it's a free goal
Darling needs support: he's pretty exposed without JK and OA to soak up attention
Williams - please drop him, he's just not good enough and stiff as wood, a liability out there. He can't tackle either and doesn't handle pressure at all.
Waterman - WAFL for you at the moment mate, crappy hair style and all.
Commentary talking up Sheed as best on ground - really? You've got to be joking. This happens EVERY time Sheed bobs up for a bit. He was better than he has been for a couple of weeks, but nothing amazing. Calm the eff down Vic commentary team and take that .. out of your ..
Empty stadium - well done AFL as usual
Carlton chopped us up with running ball and our backs in the first half looked completely out of place - basically if the ball tumbled free in our back 50, Carlton scored

Was it just me, or did the SCG create injuries like a mofo? Hard ground? It just looked like everyone was carrying something or creating one - dark times.

Next week:
MC drops Jones, we need to break out the hitting sticks.
Lay more tackles, get fired up. Thank god for YEO (he's bra-less)
I tipped us (as I do every game) but gut says we're gonna get chopped up by Richmond's running ball play and our tall side won't cope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12 - Positives & Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back